The New 08' Stellas (US Version) are here!

Discussion in 'Reels' started by BAOSABI, Aug 18, 2008.

1. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

It's seems to me that the Paladin gear is much smoother than the Barrier gear on the Japanese SW model.

Attached Files:

2. tmd

tmd Large Member

I sent an enquiry to Shimano, and was told that the gears inside the Japanese reels are identical to those in the export version sold in the USA, Australia, etc.

They said Barrier gear is the marketing name of the new gears in japan [​IMG]
    Paladin is the marketing name for it in USA & Australia [​IMG]
    And it is marketed as HDGear (high durability gear) in Europe [​IMG]

He nearly laughed at my suggestion that they would put different gears in export models to the japanese ones :rolleyes:

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I sent an enquiry to Shimano, and was told that the gears inside the Japanese reels are identical to those in the export version sold in the USA, Australia, etc.

He nearly laughed at my suggestion that they would put different gears in export models to the japanese ones :rolleyes:

You should have asked him why Shimano USA wont service a JDM reel since there the supposedly the same?

d-a

4. tmd

tmd Large Member

Because they want you to buy from them, not Japan.

5. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

That would mean that I had a SW20KPG with a some issues with the gear or a bad bearing.

6. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Because they want you to buy from them, not Japan.

Shimano doesn't care where there profits come from, just as long as they get them.

d-a

7. tmd

tmd Large Member

That would mean that I had a SW20KPG with a some issues with the gear or a bad bearing.

Could be. I can't afford one in the near future, but I've been asking around and hearing nothing but excellent feedback on how buttery smooth the reel is, Japanese and international versions.

If you ever open up your reel or see the internals of a Paladin Stella, it should be easy to tell by looking at the gears. If the pinion is made of stainless steel and the drive gear is yellow as in this attached photo, then it would be a definitive proof that international reels have the same JDM gears. Hopefully someone will be brave enough to open his and share the information with us :D

Attached Files:

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The drive gear is coated and the worm gear the rides under the spool shaft is bigger as well as its shaft in the JDM models. I should have stated they were the 2002-2007 models

Either way there both great reels

d-a

9. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I have both new '08 SW20k, JDM and US version.
    From outside only different handle color and JDM had nicer reel bag.
    I will open it if I have time, to see what is the different inside.

For the FA model for sure the JDM had different coating on some gear.

10. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

I would have opened it up if I still had it. That reel was fatally wounded on the Big E in August before I even made the first cast. The grill broke loose and fell right on top of it. I now have 2 US model and both are buttery smooth.

11. tmd

tmd Large Member

I have both new '08 SW20k, JDM and US version.
    From outside only different handle color and JDM had nicer reel bag.
    I will open it if I have time, to see what is the different inside.

For the FA model for sure the JDM had different coating on some gear.

Do you feel any difference is smoothness between the tow versions?

I am not sure about the older stella. I have seen both the FA and the JDM inside and both drive gears had a black coating, and the pinion gear was yellow. Can you explain what you mean by the different coating?

If you go ahead and open up your 08 US SW, you will be doing a great favor for every angler worldwide. I'm not kidding, I've seen endless discussions and people calling each other liars over this subject! If your US reel has a pinion that attracts a magnet and the drive gear is coated with this yellow material, then this subject should go to rest.

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Do you feel any difference is smoothness between the tow versions?

If you go ahead and open up your US SW, you will be doing a great favor for every angler worldwide. I'm not kidding, I've seen endless discussions and people calling each other liars over this subject! If your US reel has a pinion that attracts a magnet and the drive gear is coated with this yellow material, then this subject should go to rest.

It won't matter, I am still going to buy a JDM 10000 for the lower gear that's not offered to the Us market

d-a

13. tmd

tmd Large Member

whoops! nothing, just updated my previous post with a question :eek:

14. tmd

tmd Large Member

I would have opened it up if I still had it.

You can still be of a great help if you open one of your US reels and check if the gears are similar to the ones in the photo from the Japanese. Just 2 screws on the rear guard, then 5 on the side cover :p Comeon, you know you want to do it :D

15. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Just 2 screws on the rear guard, then 5 on the side cover :p Comeon, you know you want to do it :D

Not just simple as that !

You have to remove the rotor and then friction ring, to get the side cover off.
    Do you know how many parts to remove, just to get the rotor out ?

Anyway is that main gear and pinion gear on the picture from your reel ?
    Just curious why you want everyone to open their new reel ?

16. tmd

tmd Large Member

Not just simple as that !

Anyway is that main gear and pinion gear on the picture from your reel ?
    Just curious why you want everyone to open their new reel ?

Nopes, they are from the fishing show stand. Why do I want people to open their reels? I don't know, I'll have to get back to you on this.

17. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Nopes, they are from the fishing show stand. Why do I want people to open their reels? I don't know, I'll have to get back to you on this.
    After reading your posting, it sound you're really want to know what's the different inside between JDM and US version.:)

I want to know as well, that's why I get both version.;)

18. tmd

tmd Large Member

After reading your posting, it sound you're really want to know what's the different inside between JDM and US version.:)

I want to know as well, that's why I get both version.;)

lol :D I want to take the answer, then flag it in my friends' faces next time this US vs JDM discussion comes up, and be the guy who knows all.

Tell you what, if you do it and post us some photos, I'll buy you a beer if I ever cross baths with you :D

Thanks anyway.

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

looks like he wants proof that the jdm Stella's are not worth the extra money. To me they are,they have the gear ratios that I want

d-a

20. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

You can still be of a great help if you open one of your US reels and check if the gears are similar to the ones in the photo from the Japanese. Just 2 screws on the rear guard, then 5 on the side cover :p Comeon, you know you want to do it :D

I'm gonna have to put some miles on it first. I got a trip in a couple of weeks and all I need is a useless 20k because I had to show off and dick around with it.:D

21. Dude-

Dude- Junior member

dont do it. I opened it and it wasnt a pretty site. Had to send it back to shimano.