The longest Jig

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Apr 8, 2007.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Did anybody see such a long jig before ?
    If the jig worked for kingfish(yellowtail), it should work for AJ too.

ChrisW just returned from Three Kings Islands, NZ with Mr. Mogi's group.
    I'll be there in two weeks. :)

[​IMG]

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

That is huge!

3. superfly

superfly Junior member

That is huge!

I'd be happy with the fight from just the jig:eek: ....The fish would just be a bonus... :p

4. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

And I thought I was nuts with some of the lures I've put in the water. I once rigged up a coconut that almost killed me when it fell 90 feet off the palm tree. I was in Hawaii at the time. I put a large ring eye bolt through the coconut that was around 4 pounds.

We tied it off the transom cleat with a 1/4" nylon rope. That coconut teaser was attacked three times that day. It's very common to find a 150 pound tuna in a big marlins belly. The fish cleaners in Hawaii often find coconuts in the stomachs. It's a jungle out there and crazy lures and jigs will be eaten.

One of the biggest marlin ever caught off the Texas coast was caught on a lure made by a deckhand from tamale shucks. He had eaten tamale's for lunch and was bored. He took the shucks and rigged them to a Bob Schneider lure head. Within an hour they hooked up and landed a 700+ marlin.

Dawn Schneider likes this.
  5. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Good luck down there. Those yellows are huge. Hopefully you will get a shot at a big tuna too. NZ has a great fishery and they know how to keep it that way.

6. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Any idea on who makes that jig and how much it weighs? I thought some of the River to Sea knife jigs were big but that takes the cake.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Any idea on who makes that jig and how much it weighs? I thought some of the River to Sea knife jigs were big but that takes the cake.

Jig is 28” long and weighs about 4lbs. They sell it for NZ$300 (USD 210). :eek:

It is like you throw an expensive reel each time knowing that you are going to lose some. :)

8. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Wow $210? I'm in the wrong business :D

9. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Ksont,

What depth is the jig supposed to be worked at? And is it for heavy currents, or just for depths. Any ideas on how it is to be worked?

That is the biggest jig I have ever seen!!

Tom - DBG

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ksont,

What depth is the jig supposed to be worked at? And is it for heavy currents, or just for depths. Any ideas on how it is to be worked?

That is the biggest jig I have ever seen!!

Tom - DBG
    I think they used that jig for experiment.
    When I fished last time, I could use 8 - 10 oz jig most of time and I needed heavier jigs when we fished deeper for giant seabass/wreckfish.

11. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Ksong,

That looks like an aluminum jig to me. Is it?

12. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

you would need at least 20lbs of drag to be able to work that jig effectively. looks like a good jig for my electric reel as i know after 2 or 3 deep drops i would be worn out working a 4 lb jig....rick

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If money is not an issue, try Sanme jigs. it cost from $80 to couple of hundred depending on the sizes of jigs. Supplies are limited as they are hand crafted. Mogi-san loves these jigs.
    But I'd rather stay on hammered diamond jigs as I found a place to buy 8 and 10 oz hammered diamond jigs for $3 a piece. :)

[​IMG]

14. jig

jig Senior Member

I think working a 16oz jig is tough; but a 64oz jig?!

15. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i have a couple that steven @ stitchware (ebay store) sent us for the CInco TUna trip... those jigs are MONSTERS!!! and I think the price is down in the lower range (10-20) for Stevens jigs.

http://stores.ebay.com/FISHINCOMFORT

I always keep myself a list of suppliers and prices... a habit I have picked up from here at work... lol.

16. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Ksong-

Have you actually jigged up a wreckfish? If so, how deep was the fish?

17. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

OK!! Yall peaked my interest... I am gonna make a couple super-duper sized jigs for the give away.... I will go by Hobby Lobby after work and get some stock and start grinding and painting tomorrow.... this should be pretty funny.

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ksong-

Have you actually jigged up a wreckfish? If so, how deep was the fish?
    Yes, wreckfish(hapuka) are plentiful in Three Kings Island.
    Giant seabass used to be plentiful off California and Baja, not any more.
    However there are still lots of giant seabass in Three Kings. It looks Three Kings and some other areas in NZ are the last frontier for giant seabass.
    We fished about 250 - 400 ft for them.
    Interestingly we start to catch wreckfish on the East Coast recently.

[​IMG]

Giant Seabass caught on a jig on a ChrisW's trip in Three Kings Island, NZ.
    [​IMG]

19. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

On the subject of heavy jigs (I don't mean 4 pounds--after all, everything is relative--a good friend (who is a lurker on this board--don't know if he posts) came to the office last week with a couple of 14 ounce jigs that look like knife jigs. He said he had it on good advice that gulf jiggers do significantly better on BFT and even YFT on these big jigs than on 8-10 ouncers. I don't know whether that is because of current or just the attraction provided by the larger size. Has anyone experienced this? I am somewhat concerned because when I do start jigging this fall, the "heaviest" conventional and spinning rods I own are Calstar 700h rods. I think they would be too soft to work over 8 ounce baits--and I really would prefer not to buy another rod. But, a couple of questions--for everyone, but especially for Kil and Randy:

1. What would you think of a Tokara teamed with y Stella 20K for heavier jigging--say too one pound? I realize that is not what it was designed for, but it does seem to conform with your feelings, Kil, about longer jigging rods.

Also, Kil, have you ever used longer rods--say, 6 1/2-8 feet for jigs up to one pound?

2. Based on Kil's experience with the 665 2-speed, I have one on order. How about using that as my jigging reel, teamed with the 700H for jigs to 8 ounce and Randy's Tuna Max 400XH for heavier stuff?

3. Does anyone ever jig with a roller rod like the 760H or the 7465H?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Russ

20. rhale

rhale Senior Member

3. Does anyone ever jig with a roller rod like the 760H or the 7465H?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Russ[/QUOTE]

I watched a buddy of mine jig all day in 300 feet of water with my Avet LX 2 speed on a Crowder trolling rod that had a roller stripper and a roller tip. I dont think that I could have kept at it all day like he did, but he was repaid for his efforts and caught alot of fish.

You can jig with any rod but the question is for how long and if your lure presentation will entice a strike?