The Holy Grail

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by etan, Jan 6, 2009.

1. etan

etan Senior Member

I just saw a 311# yellowfin. Denny Peterson, a Port Aransas local, just pulled in to Deep Sea Headquarters with his fish from the Excel 10 day trip that came back yesterday. The fish were going to be cleaned by Deep Sea fishcleaners. The first fish out of the trailer was the 311# yellowfin. It was HUGH! He caught the fish on a Tiagra 30W spooled with 130# PowerPro and a 100# Fluoro leader. Flylining a mack he got hit and started getting spooled. They used a backup reel and the skiff for the 3 hr fight. When he landed the fish they were 3 miles from the boat and had broken the rod below the top 2 guides. The fish was landed on the 1st. A couple of days before that he landed his then personal best 185#. His fishing companion had a 252# that looked small when it was unloaded. I didn't watch them unload all the fish but it was amazing! I may have to make one of those trips before I get too old. It makes my 12 hr trip in the morning rather insignificant but I'll do my best. Google Excel fishing to see the fish and the trip.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

they drove them all the way to port a to have them cleaned by those guys? did i read that right?

and yeah the cow bite is really hot right now. they had 20 300+ at the dock the other day

3. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

29 YFT over 300# weighed yesterday at Fishermans Landing.....that's a whole lot of big tuna!

4. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

they drove them all the way to port a to have them cleaned by those guys? did i read that right?

If so, WHAT would be the reason behind that? :eek:

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

If so, WHAT would be the reason behind that? :eek:
    LOL, yes, my sentiments precisely.

Also, IMO those cleaners are sub-par. washing tuna with fresh water isnt a great idea...amongst a few others.

i didnt know it was 29...i thought i heard 20. 29 is nuts.

6. red34

red34 Guest

When I looked at it this summer it cost between $.50 and $1.25 or so per pound depending on how you want your fish cleaned. For example, they will simply do loins for a price, steak it out for a little more, smoke it, can it, ship it etc... for whatever your willing to spend. Also, they generally swap your fish for fish they already have frozen in stock or prepared how you order if you want to take it with you right then and there. If not, you wait a few weeks for the actual fish that you caught to come in the mail to you with shipping as an added expense of course.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that's the jist of how it works out there.

7. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

I'm VERY particular about my tuna (to the point of driving mates nuts!). If it had been MY fish, I'd be the one with the knife. And that knife would have been used as soon as I had a way of keeping the results very cold, not a minute later.

Driving it halfway across the country? Is this like those gnome photos they drove all over and took photos of?

8. etan

etan Senior Member

The fish are frozen when you get back to the dock. These fish were still frozen because they were packed in ice. Fish cleaning is 40 cents at DSH.

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Driving it halfway across the country? Is this like those gnome photos they drove all over and took photos of?

LOL.

yeah its cheap there but the quality isnt very good.

10. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

HOLY MOLY!!! That's pretty darn close to the holy grail! I wish I could have been there to see it.

As for bringing the fish back here, I'll bet they were probably frozen solid on the boat, probably need a day or two to thaw out. Talk about some huge steaks.

DBG

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i think id sell it. oh wait thats not legal.....;)

id probably call everyone i knew in the houston area and post it on this board. my limit is around 10lbs of sashimi/week.

12. txcards

txcards Senior Member

Could someone please post a link the the report from fisherman's landing? I looked all over their site and that of the excel and couldn't find it.

As far as cleaning at DSH......I did two trips there this fall and was extremely frustrated with fish cleaning. I would have taken mine home whole and figured out how to do it myself after watching them. I asked them please no no no no no and I repeat no water on any of the fish. The first big yellowfin I had the guy just soaks it down with the hose and I calmly ask him "please, no water" he then proceeds to tell me it doesn't hurt and I nicely say "well I prefer not to have it." He sits there holding the filet knife and stares at me with a not really cordial look. :eek: He was really pissed at me and thought I was undermining his job.

My whole things is: If I am paying for the fish cleaning, clean the fish how I ask you:)

13. etan

etan Senior Member

14. Pope

Pope Senior Member

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

man that gets my blood boiling wow!

16. kenner21

kenner21 Member

i think id sell it. oh wait thats not legal.....;)

id probably call everyone i knew in the houston area and post it on this board. my limit is around 10lbs of sashimi/week.

I thought they could sell the fish off the boats in California??

17. NEMO

NEMO Member

Holy Moly

18. red34

red34 Guest

I thought they could sell the fish off the boats in California??

I don't think so. I believe you "trade" your fish in for already cleaned, steaked, etc... tuna with the processing guys if you want to take fish home right away. If you want your actual fish to be cleaned and processed, you go back and pick it up or they ship it to you later on. Kinda like deer processing.

For example, you'd give them a fresh dead 200# tuna and you get 80# (or whatever the trade in is) of fillets, steaks, smoked, canned etc... And you pay them $$/pound for however you chose for it to be processed.

I have not yet taken anything longer than a 1.5 day out there, but I asked alot of questions because I plan to do a long range very soon. On the shorter trips, they'll fillet your fish on the ride in so you walk straight off the boat with your fish cleaned and bagged. No waiting around for hours at the cleaning table or having to do it yourself after a long trip. It's VERY nice.

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I have not yet taken anything longer than a 1.5 day out there, but I asked alot of questions because I plan to do a long range very soon. On the shorter trips, they'll fillet your fish on the ride in so you walk straight off the boat with your fish cleaned and bagged. No waiting around for hours at the cleaning table or having to do it yourself after a long trip. It's VERY nice.

they do this up north as well. i thought it was standard until i came here. the mutilation law sucks IMO. i get its purpose, but the 5-12 hour rides back in could be spent steaking the fish out. ah well.

20. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I always clean my own Tuna and Wahoo because it is really easy. I let the dock clean my snapper and grouper, because it their scales can dull a knife in one fish and it's tougher. If I were to go to San Diego, I would pack my knifes and Stones, vacuum sealer and turn my tailgate into a cleaning station. Just gut the wahoo and tuna like a trout, then steak-out to thickness desired.