Thanks Alan Tani

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by Bret, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

In preparation of my upcoming Panama trip, I shipped my 665 and kaikon to Alan Tani for service.. Glad I did, as a had at least one bad bearing in each reel. Jared's double amberjack catch about fried the drags on the kaikon. So new carbotex drags are there now..
    They are good as or better than new.. I had him put one of his handles on the 665 and I love it.. with the new bearings, the freespool is much better. Anyway... He had them serviced and shipped back to me promptly..
    Thanks Alan.

Now if April 23rd will just get here... I can put them to the test..

2. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

In preparation of my upcoming Panama trip, I shipped my 665 and kaikon to Alan Tani for service.. Glad I did, as a had at least one bad bearing in each reel. Jared's double amberjack catch about fried the drags on the kaikon. So new carbotex drags are there now..
    They are good as or better than new.. I had him put one of his handles on the 665 and I love it.. with the new bearings, the freespool is much better. Anyway... He had them serviced and shipped back to me promptly..
    Thanks Alan.

Now if April 23rd will just get here... I can put them to the test..

Bret, Good of you to credit the great service.

I've been interested in how much "heat" the drags on reels can take and I'm wondering if you have any, even rough, estimate of how many long runs the fish took, how long those runs were and what the drag setting was?

Did Alan mention if the parts had been overheated, seized or worn through? PF

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

PF, Alan didnt comment on any of the parts.. he returned the old bearings in a ziplock.. I know that after countless Blackfins, several yfts up to 80lbs, several sailfish and a few Aj's that is was time for new drags..They got pretty hot when Jared caught the two Jacks on one rig.. however, they never got too jerky.. The Kaikon is a jap version of the trini 30 so with the star drag locked down I dont think we had much more than 18-22lbs of drag at any time.. As far as how long the runs were.. we were dropping in 350-400ft and the runs were not too long.. maybe 100ft at a time.. then some real short back and forth action before the jacks finally popped up on the surface.. I will check it out and see how much drag I can get with the new carbontex drags installed..

4. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Roger,

I've done a few test runs with drags at various drags....25, 30, 45
    whatever it is after about a little over 100yards the reel is pretty hot. Touchable at 25-30 though still pretty hot and 45 is very hot and don't think you could touch the reel barehands for a long time.

5. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

PF, Alan didnt comment on any of the parts.. he returned the old bearings in a ziplock.. I know that after countless Blackfins, several yfts up to 80lbs, several sailfish and a few Aj's that is was time for new drags..They got pretty hot when Jared caught the two Jacks on one rig.. however, they never got too jerky.. The Kaikon is a jap version of the trini 30 so with the star drag locked down I dont think we had much more than 18-22lbs of drag at any time.. As far as how long the runs were.. we were dropping in 350-400ft and the runs were not too long.. maybe 100ft at a time.. then some real short back and forth action before the jacks finally popped up on the surface.. I will check it out and see how much drag I can get with the new carbontex drags installed..

100 feet of line at 20lbs drag doesn't generate a lot of heat, only about 40 Watts (per minute). But the other side of the coin is that reel, like a couple of Penns I have for Striper fishing, doesn't have a lot of place for the drag heat to go. So maybe the washers just wore out. Out of curiosity on my part, do you know which part numbers those bearings are?

Roger,

I've done a few test runs with drags at various drags....25, 30, 45
    whatever it is after about a little over 100yards the reel is pretty hot. Touchable at 25-30 though still pretty hot and 45 is very hot and don't think you could touch the reel barehands for a long time.

At 45 lbs. drag and a hundred yards, you're putting out some real heat. A 100 yard run at that level produces almost 500 Watt-Minutes of heat. It takes a lot of metal to absorb that--or a lot of airflow to cool off that--much heat. My Penn 950 this year, with a 125 lb. fish got very hot to the touch after a 200 yard run at 15 lbs. drag, about 300 Watt-Minutes.

The reel manufacturers do a good job of telling us the drag we can expect (I guess they mean at full spool since it goes up as line is drawn off) but they leave us completely in the dark about how long the reels can absorb the heat produced by that much drag.

At least for spinning reels, you can always grab some ice from the cooler and put it against the spool (seriously) if it's a bottom drag configuration. That's one of the reasons I got a Stella and not a Saragosa.

Thanks to both for the data points.

6. macka17

macka17 Member

Hi.

Years ago. Off the stones especially.

One would have a screamer. Kingie or Tuna running for horizon.
    Poor old Everol.Penn etc. Smokin'. With one of us pouring buckets of water on reel to cool it a bit. Till you got spooled.

Used to remove and file drag washers every trip. They always had a shiny black surface, at end of session. But were about 1\4in thick though. SO plenty of meat...
    macka17