360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 is the first year I can remember having a white Christmas.. So after all of the Christmas eve and morning festivities and present opening and whatnot, I decided to head up to my buddy Bob's place for Christmas day hunt. The snow had thawed from the Roads around Dfw.. so i thought it would all be gone by the time I headed a100 miles nw of DFW.. I was wrong..
Just north of Decatur, Hwy 287 was covered in snow and Ice.. and the temp dropped from 39 to 29... not good.. Cars and trucks littered the bar-ditches and medians for the next 35 miles to my turn-off, north of Bowie..
Once I left the state hwy and got on a Farm to market.. it got worse.. Gps, still had me arriving at the gate at 430.. plenty of time for an evening hunt..
That was not to be... Long story short, it took me 2 hrs to go 30 miles to my next turn.. There were tractors stuck, trying to help pull people out, big rigs, and whatever else you could think of stuck every which way.. I finally made it to the 1/2 way point on my trip west and came to a stop again from the 2wd leader of the pack.... With my trusty Dodge in 4wdhi pulling the mule on a trailer.. went around the pack and settled in at a whopping 30 mph for the remainder of the trek.. Got to camp after dark.. went and checked the pig traps and re-baited.. and came back to nada.. It was 18 this morning when we got into the straw bale stand.. The birds and us were the only thing moving.. loaded up and headed home to warmup. Bob is off for a few days.. so Hopefully he can trap some of the hogs that have been tearing up his feeders..
It has been a strange year for hunting, at least for me.. We have only taken a couple of does and a spike off of our new lease in Eastland.. Hoping to do some good over new years.. here are a couple of pics from the North Tx snow..
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!! and Wishing yall a Happy and Prosperous New year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,784 Posts
good snow pics

sorry to hear your hunting season didn't go well ... I don't think you
have many days left in the season so I hope your closing week brings
you better harvest

Kill some hogs for us

G

·
cool pics, i never got to north texas while i was there. looks much different/better than houston!

we had a white one up here as well, but 24 hours of rain has just about melted it all away at this point

·
145 Posts
While you had a white Christmas here in Malta we had a verry hot Christmas (24'C) we went swimming haha xD but ni Fishing because of strong wind going on over 1 month...:(

·
2,835 Posts
Texas is a big state. No white anywhere near me. I haven't seen any stick to the ground here in 20 years. Funny thing was about five years ago, Port Aransas had a white X-Mas. First time ever since the old timers could ever remember.

That traffic jam near Dallas has been on our local news. It must have been a mess. One reason to not leave home without a full tank.

·
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey San.. I have until jan 17 to fill my tags with does and spikes.. I have meat.. just no hogs yet..
Baker,, you ought to take the tour of Texas.. its a big state with lots of different scenery..
Iman, hope the wind lays down for you guys so you can fish.

Even though the hunting was slow.. I had a good time in the snow on the Mule..

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts