Testing IRT (Innovative Reel Technologies) spinning reel

Discussion in 'Kilsong's Jigging World' started by ksong, Aug 3, 2016.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I can see who tubetrax and amberjack are.
    Both are old Anthony. you are doing great job again as a spoiler.

lite-liner and Whalebreath like this.
  2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

IRT 400 reel/prototype Black Hole Challenger Bank UL in action for nice fluke in Block Island, RI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

north coast and Whalebreath like this.

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I had 20 - 25 lb striped bass with IRT400 and prototype Black Hole Challenger Bank 671 UL (ultra light) rod which is for 1/2 oz - 2 oz bucktailing for flukie.
    All were caught on jigs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

nice striper released using IRT 400 reel and 3.5 oz light Black Hole Challenger 671UL rod today.

david shelton likes this.
  5. tubetrax

tubetrax Member

Ksong

What happened to your Penn Slammer lll, Qauntum Cabo, IRT. Fishing trip last fall,

I know the Slammer lll is a joke, but how did the Cabo & IRT compare ?

You said you'd give us feedback.
    Just curious, haven't heard much about IRT lately,
    Most likely due to the "Extremely High Domestic Price" !

I emailed IRT August 2016 asking them to send a reel to Alan Hawk for review
    Maybe they don't want him exposing any issues ?

PS.
    Those Black Hole Rod Blanks are awesome.
    Good find Ksong

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am surprised you said Penn Slammer III is a joke.
    I am extremely happy with the performance with my Penn Slammer III 7500. I got tuna, wahoo, yellowtail and big drum with the reel. I have use for a whole year and I did not open the reel. But still it works great.

For IRT reels, I fought big tuna and GT with big IRT 700 reels but it is not enough time to assess the reel. Meanwhile, I have used small IRT 300, 400 and 500 for yellowtail, fluke, sriper, snook and drum. So far so good. It become my favorite inshore reels now.

david shelton likes this.
  7. david shelton

david shelton Member

Ksong - it's been a while but how are those IRT's holding up? As well as the Penn Slammer 3's?

8. HolyTeenage

HolyTeenage Member

I was surprised that the spool was totally dragged washer FREE, though it was kind of odd dumping the whole drag heat and pressure to a single washer place on the spool metal stopper. Normally for fishing we use finding lures I don't think it is difficult to make a spinning reel with 40 lb max drag. I am going to spool it with 40# Jerry Brown hollow which breaks at 60#. Powerful yellowtail in 20 - 50 lb will be a good test for the reel.