Test Drove the Accurate Boss B2-30 and Twin Spin 20

Discussion in 'Reels' started by fishordie, Sep 6, 2008.

1. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Test drive of the new Accurate B2-30 and Twin Spin 20
    Test drove my new Accurate B2-30 and Twin Spin 20

G' day all,

I got a chance to try out the new Accurate Boss B2-30 and Twin Spin 20 on my last trip to Alijos Rocks and they both worked flawlessly.

B2-30: I had purchased this reel to be used to throw poppers and artificials to big fish using 100# J.B. Hollow and 75 yds of 60,80 or 100 pound tops shots. Previously I was using both the Accurate 12 Platinum and the Cal Super 12 for this application. When I saw the prototype 30 and 50 at the Fred Hall show I knew I was going to puchaase two more reels as these appeared to really fill the gap between the Platinum and Boss series.

This reel did not dissapoint. Although we never got into the jumbo's we got plenty of the mid size tuna. I had no trouble throwing Poppers, Raiders in the 125 and 150 size and even tried it on bait. The open top frame and lighter weight really give a noticable feel to this fisherman. My thumb does not have to work across any cross bars and the perfect free spool is typical of all Accurate products. The spool itself for bait is very responsive as I even let the Sardine do all the work pulling line until it got gobbled in the zone. As the majority of fish were in the 30 - 80 pound class this reel simply overpowered the fish. I set my strike at 24 pounds and just man handled the fish. I never eased into the drag setting like I normally do on much bigger fish and just pushed the drag lever into strike and held on. I did try adjusting the drags to 32 pounds at strike just for sheeets and giggles and still had perfect free spool. I then set it back to 24 and these fish never had a chance. Put the rod on the rail and just crank in low or high. Smooth on the outgo and smooth on the retrieve. I never even had to go up or down rail as the fish just kept comming nose first straight to the boat. Mine was setup on a Super Seeker CJBF 70XH and man it is a fantastic combination for my purposes. I see no problem using this reel on cows though the Platinum would be the reel of choice for that application. One reel light enough in your hands to finesse fish 60 and sturdy enough to fish 100. Why buy 3 reels when you can get all the above in just one reel. Just fill it with 80 or 100 pound hollow and change out the top shots to the pound test you wish. To be honest you could easily fish this with 50 pound top shots as well and still not feel you are holding on to a heavy reel. Hopefully I can give it more of a workout in November but for now, based on what I saw and felt and knowing the price point for this level of reel, I can see this being purchased by anyone going long range as it truly is an all around reel to take the place of a 60, 80 or even 100 pound reel with a price point well within reason. For Yachties this should also be a no brainer for those of you doing stand up.

The only draw back is the new angled Handle/knob for the Boss 30 and 50 is fantastic so now I may have to spend some more money to retro fit some of my old reels. I just hate that....LOL. I actually liked it better for this application than the Platinim knobs.

Twin Spin 20: LOVED IT!!!! I have said it before and I will say it again, great spinners are the ultimate for Pick Bite finnessing of bait. For those fishermen who just cannot cast a bait well with a conventional, purchasing one of these babies gives you the edge over some of your more experienced friends and the bait does not have to pull against a spool as it just peels of the reel. A big edge if you ask me as now you are no longer sucking wind from guys who can cast their baits into the zone while you keep mangling yours. Spinner jig guys are going to like the size to weight ratio as well as the smoothness of operation.

In the mornings, matched with a Calstar 700XH, a full spool of 80 pound J.B. Hollow and my Thunder Down Under, the spinner got bit when others were failing to do so. This included Wahoo, Tuna and Yellowtail. One of my tuna that got to the boat with major portions of it missing due to shark attack 50 feet from the boat and still weighed 60 pounds (I figure it was a 80 - 90 pound fish prior to being sharked) came to very deep color, unfortunately at the anchor line, in about 7 minutes on 50 pound top shot. It would have been faster but I did not really crank my drags down until I got more familiar with the reel and made sure it could handle the pressure. IT CAN. I also tried one fish with a really eased off drag to see how hot the spool would get on a really sizzling run. I let the fish get down close to the bottom of the spool before I tightened up the drag and man handled the fish back to the boat. Again, just laid the Thunder Down Under on the rail and cranked once the fish's head was turned. Although the spool got warm it never got HOT. If the fish took line I just pointed the tip at the fish until it was done, took a step backwards to pull the fishes head towards the boat, laid it on the rail and cranked or if the fish went down allowed the recoil of the 700XH to just work it until the fish was pointed in the right direction.

Tuna after Tuna hit the decks in very short order and even one wahoo.
    After about 10 fish in a row in no time at all, the last with a one inch top shot remaining and the Rail Rod device absorbing all the head shakes I went back to using artificials and other sticks as the bite had gone WFO but the proof was there. The Reel is just plain COOOL and for me a must have for normal Pick bites and can handle anything this fisherman could throw at it. I found this 20 and my 12 size spinners seemed to be built different than the orginal 30 size Accurate came out with several years ago and I really like whatever it is Accurate did differently on these two spinners.
    As a note:
    This is NOT a cow reel as I just do not think there is enough line capacity but that is not going to keep me from trying anyway since the drags and build of this reel are meant to last. If I could magically add another 200 or 300 yds to the spool then I have no doubt it could do the job.

Great Job Accurate on both products. Both reels will be in my bag on every long range trip I take in the future.

Jamie

2. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Great review! I just ordered up a couple of 30L's myself. BTW how do you rail a spinner? Just curious..I"m a rookie with long range boats.

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Yo Jamie,

Nice report. I also have the B2-30 and the Twinspin 20. I've taken the new
    B2-30 on two day trips. Both trips sucked. No fish right now in my waters. I think all the amberjacks have moved to NC.:mad: All the tuna are very deep and require an overnight trip. Normally the tuna are closer this time of year.

I love the B2-30 and am getting a little frustrated watching it ride in a rod holder without catching anything. I mounted it on a Zenaq B60H rod. It's not your typical West Coast rod. It is has lightweight titanium frame SIC guides, aluminium reel seat, and aluminium gimbal. I should be able to fish up to 35#s of drag on the setup if I ever catch a fish with it. The setup is light enough to jig with if you are targeting big fish.

If fishing for tuna, I tend to hammer down the drag once I see color. Once the death spiral begins, I show no mercy. Sometimes it kicks me in the butt as I will break something, usually the string but sometimes the rod. :mad:

I've only used my Twinspin 20 a couple of times. It's very smooth. I hope the new Twinspin 50 is a little smoother than the current 30. I imagine the new 50 is based on the the 30 frame. If you ever make another "Thunder Down Under" for a larger spinner like the 30 or 50, PM me with an estimated cost. I love fishing toys.:D Do you have any pictures of the "thunder" in action?

Here's a few pics for people that want to know the size difference between the Twinspin 20 and 30.

Attached Files:

4. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Hey Bill,

Sorry to hear those trips were not up to the standards of your Accurates but the good new is perhaps your next trip you will be able to really use these things.
    I noticed you used YOUR ball knobs on these reels. Have you ever tried a straight bar type handle??? Just curious as I am going to mount the B2-30 Handle on my 20 spinner.

As far as my device, I will probably make a dozen of these things for my first production run. The problem is to make the mounting brackets compatible with most rods. That will be the tough part unless I create them specifically for one or two rod types and allow some rubber inserts to fill up any gaps in other possibly thinner rods. I may run them on a custom basis so I can machine in the name of the buyer if they choose. I have some pics up on other sites and I will try and get one on this site if I haven't done so already. I thought I did but I will check back in the archives. Yup, it is under tackle and rigging section of this site and is dated 7-20-08. It is titled something like spinning or rail rodding west coast style.

It really did work fantastic and will work on at least the 12 and 20 models and possibly on the 30 size.

Jamie

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Jamie,

Yea, offshore South Texas has been slow for almost a month. No nutriments in the water to hold bait. No bait, no fish. Inshore (0-7miles) this past weekend was good but it's not really my cup of tea. Catching and releasing a dozen or so of 8 to 20 pound kingfish on Calcutta 400's is fun but I'm really an offshore guy. We stopped off on the way back in to bend a couple of rods. They were balling up minnows and feeding on the balls. It's interesting to see them thrash through the bait ball with their mouths open.

I do like the new offset bar handle on the B2-30. I wish it was about an inch longer for me. I cannot fish with the little whiffle ball supplied by Accurate. It's way to small for me so I made my own knobs which believe it or not are very comfortable for me and other's who have tried them. They are big and I always get strange comments on them. They work and that's all I care about.

Once you make a run of your "Thunder down Under", let me know. I want one. I think making it to fit the larger Seeker and Calstar rods would probably be the way to go as your West Coast Buddie's might buy it. I can always get rubber gasket material from my belt supplier to fill the void. It's flexible and very tough. Also comes in different thicknesses.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

why the reel clamp on that rod?

7. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Great review! I just ordered up a couple of 30L's myself. BTW how do you rail a spinner? Just curious..I"m a rookie with long range boats.

Hi Cuda,

Missed your post. Take a look at my answer to MrBill and see the dates I posted the Pictures of this thing. It really works inbelievably well.

Good luck with your 30 L's. Accurate makes some great products.

Jamie

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

why the reel clamp on that rod?

A) I use a "Rigid" (brand) strap tool to tighten my double rings down. If you haven't seen one, it tightens the rings down without marring them like a pair of pliers with teeth. Even after doing this, the vibration from the boat and sea action will loosen the rings. The reel clamp is extra security and keeps the reel from moving in the machined reel seats. I like my reels tight so I don't get any wobble when cranking. No wobble if you use the reel clamps.

B) All my reel clamps have a hook holder hole in them. It's just not visible in the picture. Even though the B-50 has lugs, I like using the back side of the reel for hooking my lure or hook onto while moving from one fishing location to the next. Putting the lure or hook on the lugs is OK, but I don't like the way the line rides on the rod tip if hooking onto the lugs. To me, you can damage a rod guide by placing your hook or lure on it. The lure, hook or jig will also rub and damage your rod. Keeping it low on the back side of the reels works out great.

Here's a pic of the reel clamp with the hook hole.

Attached Files:

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Gotcha.......I guess I'm thinking of it from a jigging standpoint...the reel clamp gets in the way when jigging IMO.

I use the clamp for chunking setups though.

10. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

Thanks! That's pretty ingenious. For a while there I thought I had missed something! I did see your original post with the rail rig quite a while back. Thanks again for the report. Made me feel a bit better about getting two of those beasts. :) Now with the BigE full until Thanksgiving it looks like I won't get a chance to try them out anytime soon. :(

I decided to go all spinning because of a bad left shoulder.

Thanks for the pics Mr Bill. Did not realize the size difference between the 20 and the 30 would be that great.

Hi Cuda,

Missed your post. Take a look at my answer to MrBill and see the dates I posted the Pictures of this thing. It really works inbelievably well.

Good luck with your 30 L's. Accurate makes some great products.

Jamie