Terminal-Tackle Crimp Strength

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by pametfisher, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Fishinmad

Fishinmad Member

This is a great thread guys
    Now for what may be a dumb question to some of you, therefore apologies in advance.

I have seen that everyone leaves the flare at either end of the crimp when making the join in mono or fluorocarbon, but is it necessary to do the same for wire?

sc_shark likes this.
  2. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

No, not necessary with wire/cable.

3. rod27

rod27 Junior member

just reading this thread and i wonder if there is another thread with pics of what a correctly crimped setup looks like?

4. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

5. FullStrike

FullStrike Senior Member

I crimp everything from cod rigs to 130 gear. The only testing I have done is with a fish on the end of the line and I have never had a crimp fail. Successful crimping is highly dependent on the person using the tools and the skill he or she possesses.

BrianHouston likes this.
  6. luckyduck

luckyduck Member

does the flemish twist negate the need for chaffing protection?

7. WAHOONBOX

WAHOONBOX Banned

HELLO ALL,

I AM PRETTY SURE I KNOW THIS JOHN FROM MADISON GUY...IN FACT HE HAS FISHED WITH ME BLUEFINNING IN CAROLINA ON THE NIGHTHAWK WITH CAPT MIKE

SINCE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT LEADER SPECIFICS HERE....I HAVE QUESTION FOR THE PERSON WHO CRIMPED THESE LEADERS DEPICTED

WHY DO YOU PREFER A LARGE LOOP OVER A SMALLER LOOP AND WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF A LONG TAG EXITING THE CRIMP?

8. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Hey Marty. Good to hear from you. Are you asking about the crimps / tag end from the pics in the original post of this thread?

If you are, I did them. They have no reason. Since all of this was done for testing purposes, I didn't care about the tag end length.

9. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Junior member

Thanks for all the work on doing this thread

My 2 cents after crimping thousands of rigs hooks and lures:

1. Wide gap crimpers where you only have to crimp once are the best option if possible with a bench crimper being the best option.
    2. A good flare - a little more than pictures posted is normally safer and better.
    3. Braid crimpers normally release just a little sooner than you would like and normally require a second hand pressure crimp to crimp a little further and give the proper bite and tension(mono aluminum crimps work by friction) on your crimps; the positive is u will not over crimp if you use the correct size crimps and right size slot. OVER CRIMPING can be just as bad or worse than under crimping. -Very hard to over crimp cable, very easy to over crimp mono-
    4. Cooking the tag end into a nice mushroom end is essential to " a last line of defense" in line slip- ALWAYS COOK THE END, may make the difference in losing a quality fish.
    5. Always add Chaffe on all looped crimps or use an offshore knot in your loop.
    6. Hand crimping is like any other skill, requires hundreds of crimps to get the feel and know when to stop and when to squeeze a little more.
    7. WHEN IN DOUBT AND CRIMP LOOKS OVER OR UNDER CRIMPED, CUT OFF AND RE CRIMP ;)

BrianHouston likes this.
  10. Locke N Load

Locke N Load Wannabe Tuna Fisherman

I like the advice. I always mushroom the end as a slight insurance policy. Maybe it adds a pound of breaking/slipping strength and knowing my luck that could be the difference between landing and losing a fish.

11. Mosi

Mosi Senior Member

I like the advice. I always mushroom the end as a slight insurance policy. Maybe it adds a pound of breaking/slipping strength and knowing my luck that could be the difference between landing and losing a fish.
    Exactly, just an additional 10 seconds can make the difference!

12. tim5485

tim5485 Senior Member

you guys use crimping for jigging applications?

13. Locke N Load

Locke N Load Wannabe Tuna Fisherman

Up to 80# leader I tie knots. 80# and above I crimp.

14. fishordie

fishordie Senior Member

Good morning all,

I have been using the crimping technique for over 10 years with zero failures on cow size and larger tuna. I have not tied a knot in big line in a decade. Everything 80 pound and over gets crimped. Very few folks on the west coast fish at much over 40 pounds of drag even on 130 and 200 pound test while most stay around 30 pounds of drag or so when tested after the fight. Of course Many think they are fishing 50 pounds of drag or more but that is just not the case.

I go straight to the manufacturer to have my sleeves made so I can have them extra long. This is enough for 2 bites of my Braid Ratchet crimpers and allowing for a good size flair on each end. The flair is mandatory for actual fighting conditions when the line angles out from the sleeve.

As well noted in this wonderful thread proper crimping pressure and a properly fitted sleeve is key. However, as noted above warming the end of the tag is is also a key for those who are not quite as anal about setting up their crimping tool. (Non anal folks will out number the anal folks about 1000 to one in fishing). In this case the creation of the ball on the end of the tag which is then dragged into the end of the crimp as a stopper becomes another part of the equation.

I have watched as uninformed folks take a cigerette lighter to try this in windy conditions. Bad idea. For me, I take a strong cigar torch, use my body as a wind shield, place my thumb nail and index finger nail at the edge of the line to insure only the end of the tag end gets affected by the flame and only then do I get the end quickly warm. My torch as small dimples in it which happen to creat a perfect end configuation on the tag so once the last 1/16th or so is heated I can create the bulb I am looking for. After that I actually put the now less warm balled end in my mouth to insure it cools rapidly, with plenty of saliva, and that there is no transfer of heat. Warming any part of the line which goes into the sleeve is a very bad idea.

Any heat at all getting into the body of the crimped area is a major issue yet I have seen where anglers who have forgotten to perform the crimping operation have had their crimps hold, amazingly, with only the balled end. Yes, booze may have been involved with those anglers or just senility.

None the less, crimping is the only terminal connection I will use for giant tuna using bait or artificial lures.

Thank you for a great thread

Jamie

15. sc_shark

sc_shark Senior Member

great post man.. killer results..

mind snapping a few pics..

16. Fishinmad

Fishinmad Member

Fantastic thread guys! Thanks a bunch!
    Helps a newbie like me a lot.

17. Rm1668Tuna

Rm1668Tuna Member

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for terminal tackle for bluefin tuna ?

18. SkipWack

SkipWack New Member

Lots of good info here.

leadertec.com ( I tried to link it but it thinks I'm a spammer I guess)

19. Recoil Rob

Recoil Rob Active Member

I have a Jinkai SC-3 and purchased Jinkai I & J sleeves for rigging some mojos to troll stripers.
    This year I want to rig some larger leaders for tuna and noticed the Hi Seas Grand Slam aluminum sleeves are about 25% cost of the Jinkai, $2 vs $8.
    Are they just not good? Are the Jinkai's that much better?