360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Daiwa Magsealed BG8000 that I use for surf, pier and bank fishing. I was hoping to use this reel on my first tuna trip this year for casting lures. I ordered a Shimano Terez 7'8" for this purpose. Today I put them together and went out and did a little casting and the reel is way too big for the guides on the rod, they reduce way too fast for it to cast well. My question: Is there a better rod for this reel to be paired with or should I abandon this reel and search for a smaller one? Has anyone else had this issue with the Terez? The first guide looks like a casting guide thats been turned upside down rather than the larger spinning guides I'm accustomed to on my other spinning rods. Thanks in advance!

·
507 Posts
I think those guides were a Fuji concept guide system. The idea is that by choking the line down on the first (stripper) guide the line will then shoot out in a straight line thus increasing distance. I’m not an expert on it. But I think that’s the idea. I’m sure someone else on this site is more knowledgeable about it.
FWIW, I have one of the older 7’8” Terez popping rods and I think it casts very well with a Saragosa 14000 size real on it and 65 lb braid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think those guides were a Fuji concept guide system. The idea is that by choking the line down on the first (stripper) guide the line will then shoot out in a straight line thus increasing distance. I’m not an expert on it. But I think that’s the idea. I’m sure someone else on this site is more knowledgeable about it.
FWIW, I have one of the older 7’8” Terez popping rods and I think it casts very well with a Saragosa 14000 size real on it and 65 lb braid.
Thanks for the info. I understand the concept, my issue was more with how much line slap I was getting with the combination of the two. I’m relatively new to the game when it comes to pairing popping rods and reels but the line slap seemed excessive. Maybe it’s normal. The few casts I made I was worried about line coming all the way around the rod and tangling on the guide. I ended up returning the rod. When speaking with a person from tackle direct he told me they made some terez rods with low profile guides and that is the one I received. I believe this to be the issue and that it could’ve been solved by using a reel with a smaller diameter spool. So now I’m on the hunt for another rod for popping to use with the BG. If you get a chance would you mind measuring the diameter of the first guide on your terez. That could confirm what I believe was the issue. If not no worries, just trying to learn a little each day. Thanks!

·
507 Posts
Here you go. AFAIK all of the heavy and extra heavy 7’8” Terez spinning rods came with these small Fuji concept guides. The first guide looks to be about 5/8” to 3/4” diameter.
My 7’2” mh Terez spinner (2nd pic) has a larger 1” diameter stripper and Fuji “K” guides.
Glasses Vision care Eyewear Musical instrument Guitar accessory

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle frame

1 - 6 of 6 Posts