Tearing up the BFT in CC Bay

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

4 for 5, and 1 for 3 on the last trips, and overall one hell of a start to the season for Coastal Charters Sportfishing and yours truely. All fish were taken on the spinning gear, no jigged fish yet for me but that should change soon.

Tripled up in a HUGE school of nice small, manageable fish, and got all 3 back to the boat. First fish taped out at 54" and weighed maybe 80 pounds, second fish was 52" roughly, and the third a cookie cutter from the same school. Picture of me with my now trademark pose and the smaller class around
    View attachment 7409

I knew I had seen smaller fish up and about, finally put the boat over one of the schools and they cooperated. The fish were very easy to handle in comparison to the 60 plus inch fatties I have been landing of late. Of course we tied into one of those models later in the day, and had to release a very fat 63 incher to end up the day. Had fish all to myself the entire trip, not another boat within site other than 1 commercial that went by. Love days like that.

Yesterday was a beautiful day on the water. Oily slick and sunny for a change all day.

Had a fish absolutely pretzel a 6x VMC 4/0 treble early in the morning, second hook failure this week on big fish. Back to the drawing board on these, as all the trebles I have used have had issues at one point while tied into a bruiser bluefin. I may switch to a big single or even a double hook.

We were called in on that fish by Capt. Rich of Black Rose fishing who was already tied into one himself, and fortunately they landed theirs with no gear failure to contend with.
    View attachment 7411

After that the action dried up and had a few boats trolling over the area, so decided to move off on my own and find some fish. I located what I was looking for not far away, and stopped the boat right on top of a pod that broke maybe 30 seconds after I powered down. Sometimes you might think I actually knew what I was doing. Willy G hooked up with a fish shortly thereafter, and despite a vailiant effort, ended up passing the rod round the boat, until I finally pulled a little Ahab after 45 minutes and took over to finish the battle. I hate losing fish, and once the rod had been passed and I watched this fish struggle out of range, put the wood to him and ended his misery with very little resistance on his part. Fish was a snake of a 64.5 inch tuna, no belly but a very strong stubborn animal nonetheless.
    View attachment 7408

Had a few shots later on, but couldnt get any to commit and ended the day with a few baskers going right under the boat, including a monster of 30 plus feet that we spooked and didnt get a picture of.
    View attachment 7410

Much needed day off today, and weather looks to give me a few more unplanned days ahead. Back at it as soon as the winds lay down.

Attached Files:

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

nice work as always dom. what hooks have you used that got messed up?

right now im planning to go to cape may on july 2nd.......hoping the weather heats up. otherwise its a long drive up to cape cod at 930pm after i land in philly ;)

3. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

nice work as always dom. what hooks have you used that got messed up?

right now im planning to go to cape may on july 2nd.......hoping the weather heats up. otherwise its a long drive up to cape cod at 930pm after i land in philly ;)

Owner ST-66 4/0 bent out last year twice. Gamakatsu 4x 4/0 treble snapped on Sunday, VMC 6x 4/0 absolutely pretzled yesterday.

Going with a dressed siwash on the rear, double prong tuna hook on mid for the crankbaits. It only seems to happen with the hard baits with the leverage the fish can get they make short work of trebles when only 1 point gets in the fish.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Owner ST-66 4/0 bent out last year twice. Gamakatsu 4x 4/0 treble snapped on Sunday, VMC 6x 4/0 absolutely pretzled yesterday.

Going with a dressed siwash on the rear, double prong tuna hook on mid for the crankbaits. It only seems to happen with the hard baits with the leverage the fish can get they make short work of trebles when only 1 point gets in the fish.
    Someone must used very heavy drag on Owner ST-66.
    With normal 20 - 25 lbs drag, I doubt the hooks get bent unless fish is foul hooked with one hook.

5. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Dom,

If you still want to use Trebles, look at the Owner ST-76. I don't think anything is going to bend those.

6. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Awesome work as always Dom, see you real soon;)

7. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

Capt Dom = TUNA MAGNET!!!!!! Nice job as usual!!!!!!!!:) :)

I have ST 76 trebles or big 9/0 Owner Jobu tail hooks this year!:)

8. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

Good talking on the water yesterday Dom. Nice fish!!! We could here you guy's on the end game and we had to laugh a little about the wording being used as you guy's readied for the landing. Funny stuff to be sure. We didn't find joy yesterday but did have a beautiful day on the water. One hookup and a lot of laughs with some definite learning in the mix for next time around.

9. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Good talking on the water yesterday Dom. Nice fish!!! We could here you guy's on the end game and we had to laugh a little about the wording being used as you guy's readied for the landing. Funny stuff to be sure. We didn't find joy yesterday but did have a beautiful day on the water. One hookup and a lot of laughs with some definite learning in the mix for next time around.

So someone else got to witness the 'ol Capt Ahab within besides my poor crew. The intensity levels sometimes make for a colorful experience with me around.:rolleyes:

10. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Someone must used very heavy drag on Owner ST-66.
    With normal 20 - 25 lbs drag, I doubt the hooks get bent unless fish is foul hooked with one hook.

With a very hard head, tuna exert unbelieveable torque on hooks. Trebles with one hook buried seem easy prey to the large models, Kil. The bends and breaks usually come when the fish gets near the boat and turns to run. They get very good leverage with the hard plastic crankbaits, and make short work of some very strong metal. The pressure exerted right at the hook is so severe, much greater than any other point in the system when the fish heaves its bulk like that.

The 2 ST-66 mishaps last year were similar failures to the ones you witnessed with the VMC, Kil. These are impressive creatures that win their freedom more often than not when targetting them on light tackle. The break on the Gamakatsu is a known problem with those trebles and smaller guage hooks, they are sharp but not much else.

I also think its better on the fish to switch to single rear hook and double on body. The double hooks swim better anyway. Just what I feel needs to be done to try and avoid heartbreaks that happen when your gear lets you down.

11. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

Dom,

I added a swivel to the tail hook for my bigger swimbaits and poppers. Do you think the added pivot point and swivel will reduce the stress on the hook when fighting these demons?

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Dom, you know me. I am trying to find better tackles all the time.
    So far ST66 is my best choice among treble hooks. I posted several times about Gamatatsu 4X treble hooks in the past that the hooks are not strong enough for big tuna as I experienced several failures. But I really like the sharp, penetrating power of Gamatatsu treble hook.

I prefer ST66 to ST76 as St76 is too thick for my liking. They are stronger than ST66, but I suspect you drop more tuna with ST76 when head shaking.

I experimented assist hooks on Ranger lure in Panama and I liked what I saw.
    I am going to experiment big assist hooks at the tail of lures for bluefin in Cape Cod this year.

13. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Dom,

I added a swivel to the tail hook for my bigger swimbaits and poppers. Do you think the added pivot point and swivel will reduce the stress on the hook when fighting these demons?

Al, I think you will find a vast decrease in pressure on the hooks by adding another pivot point. The problem I see with the hard crankbaits and trebles is that withe the split ring attachemnt, the fish can get incredible leverage by putting the strain back against the body of the lure when changing direction. The split ring comes tight and the fulcrum now becomes the bend in the hook when only 1 barb is in. I dont think it matters when two or three get in the fish as much, but still a problem I see.

I think a big dressed asisst hook on the rear or a HD needle point siwash(again, dressed I think) to a big krok swivel will be the way I go. The body hook will be a double tuna hook like you see on the big marauder/bonita type troll baits and the Mann stretch 30+...they swim very well, better than the trebles.

I had no issues with the VMC hooks until yesterday, landed quite a few on them no problem. Never again, hate losing fish to gear failure.(hate losing fish period:mad: )

14. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

The problem I see with the hard crankbaits and trebles is that withe the split ring attachemnt, the fish can get incredible leverage by putting the strain back against the body of the lure when changing direction. The split ring comes tight and the fulcrum now becomes the bend in the hook when only 1 barb is in.

The same goes for putting a hook at the bottom of a jig. The jig itself becomes a pry bar to pull the hook loose. Thats why assist hooks work so well.

PS. How did you get 85 in crab ball. You never told me. Secret joystick techinque? :D

PSS. I got some killer triple wire split rings today.

15. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

The same goes for putting a hook at the bottom of a jig. The jig itself becomes a pry bar to pull the hook loose. Thats why assist hooks work so well.

PS. How did you get 85 in crab ball. You never told me. Secret joystick techinque? :D

Ahhh Crab ball....That was my wife actually, two winters ago it was real cold and boring....used the keyboard just like everyone else. Amazing, huh?

16. Albiemanmike

I tried the triple wire split rings last season and stopped using them as they are too thick to allow most hooks to swing properly i.e. the hook eye is too small for the thickness of the triple wire.

Dom,
    We have been running assist hooks off the back of the rear treble on our poppers since last season and I think this is a really good alternative to going with the Siwash. I personally don't like Siwash hooks as they just don't seem to be strong enough with the amount of bend and shank on them. We just add an assist hook to the split ring on the popper along with the treble and it seems to work pretty good, very little problem with the assist hook wrapping or fouling on the treble.

17. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

When i lost a 250-300lb tuna that spit my trebles with Capt Rich 2 Sundays ago, i decided
    to use big assist hooks last Tuesday and it worked awesome,2 of my 3 fish landed came on assist hooks. IMO trebles
    tend to work against each other at times, resulting in a lost fish.

Picture of assist hooks on my stickbait
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Thats the proof right there. A picture is worth a thousand words. Great job jflores.

19. Albiemanmike

Those are just single hooks? Do you mean they are the same type of hooks that they use on the assist hooks made for butterfly type jigs?? I was thinking that you would rig the assist hooks with the assist cord on them. That is how we attach them to the poppers, the thinking that the hooks being on a flexible tether will remove the ability of the fish to leverage against the hard body of the artificial.

20. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Those are just single hooks? Do you mean they are the same type of hooks that they use on the assist hooks made for butterfly type jigs?? I was thinking that you would rig the assist hooks with the assist cord on them. That is how we attach them to the poppers, the thinking that the hooks being on a flexible tether will remove the ability of the fish to leverage against the hard body of the artificial.

Yes, they are Owner SJ-51 Japanese stinger hooks.

You can also rig them as you said with assist cord, as i have other stickbaits
    rigged this way, and also with swivels on them it all works well.