360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
1,025 Posts
I heard a brief report. Many tired, hard working fisherman but not many cooperative YFT. About 6 YFT 50-75 pounds from what I heard.

G

·
hopefully itll pick up in oct-dec. this has been a slow year for YF.

edit- saw a report from nancen from recent. didnt look too bad. no huge fish but got a decent amount of YF.

·
812 Posts
Yep...it was definitely slow for yft. I think the total catch was 5 or 6 yellowfin, 7 amberjack, a couple of Black Jacks, (thanks Kil....I'll let you know how it tastes), a couple of rainbow runners, 3,865,723 blackfin tuna, a couple of shark, a few barracuda and kingfish, and a couple of nice sized longtail bass, (just under 4 lbs). With Nate on board....I thought we would get a couple of trigger fish....but....no such luck. :D

It was a great trip because of the great service provided by Captain Hale and the crew of the Scat Cat....great job guys! ....and the wonderful fishermen on board the trip. The stories were outstanding.

The seas were very calm and the weather was awesome. I'm sure that someone will post up some details....

·
2,835 Posts
Way to calm. Glassy water means slow fishing. When you see your own wake for miles, it's not going to be an active day of fishing.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for posting up.

It can't always be epic or there would not be any more fish!

·
663 Posts
It really was 3,865,723 blackfin tuna, he didn't count the ones we released!

It really was a great trip, I've got a few pictures I'll try to post up late tonight. Great fisherman, and a crew that went way past the exta mile to make it a great trip! Great captains too.

The boat was very easy to fish from, great upper deck and plenty of room all around, inside and out. I was impressed to say the least.

Margarita Mojo brought the killer drink machine... I was never without a frozen lemonade! Awesome addition to the trip. Richard C. fished the biggest flying fish I've ever seen, and didn't get a hit!! Unbelievable to me!

One last Kudos goes to our chartermaster - Cat O' Lies!! Great to fish with you again Patrick!

More Later.

Tom - DeepBlueGulf

Attachments

·
1,321 Posts
It's difficult if not impossible to describe a great trip if not accompanying it with a bunch of fish pics. One of those "you had to have been there" situations.

Really good group of fishermen, which always makes for a good trip. First trip I used lures the whole time (except for a few deep drops during the day with live bait). I got a nice YFT on a Rapala subwalk at Boomvang, and at least a half dozen big BkFT on subsurface baits that were a blast. Jigging was great and not super deep, so it was fun. The water was so slick at times you had a mirror image of the sky. Weather was beautiful. Lounging on the top deck in the sun with a frozen margarita was like a day at a resort.

I got one of the Longtail Bass that was just under the state record. I am looking for someone to do a museum quality replica. I know its not a big fish, but it is the finest looking fish I have ever caught.

Capt and crew were great, so consistancy there, if not slight improvement over my last trip with them. I spoke to Capt. Ronnie for quite a while about this kind of YFT fishing trip and his competition. I think he gets it, and mentioned a few things in the works that, if the work out, will likely make them even better situated for targeting YFT.

Oh, and I have never seen so many Shibukis in my life as on this trip! They were laying around everywhere. Japan's GDP has to have increased this year.

So we didn't massacre the YFT; it was still a very enjoyable trip. I'll be back next month.

I forgot my USB cord so no pics yet. Will post a few tonight.

·
1,025 Posts
Margueritas and smooth seas are always hard to beat. Glad to hear everyone had fun. The trip was filled with great people.

·
1,321 Posts
No, seems there were enough people concerned about making a commitment to one rig only (without any reports recently of any YFT) and the thought of having nothing to do but troll all day long rubbed a lot of people wrong (including myself). Trolling on a partyboat is my idea of hell.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jig said:
I got one of the Longtail Bass that was just under the state record. I am looking for someone to do a museum quality replica. I know its not a big fish, but it is the finest looking fish I have ever caught.

It is one of the finest eating fish! kinda like baby lobster cooked in butter!

·
1,703 Posts
The Big Yellowfin are hiding further offshore until about the second week in November.

Nahhh, I heard its the third week in Oct....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts