Tarpon fishing in Costa Rica in late April

Discussion in 'Kilsong's Jigging World' started by ksong, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Whalebreath

Whalebreath Senior Member

That's not true the main problem is mud not snakes or crocs.

When I was we caught a lot of Jack Crevalle (or the Atlantic equivalent) on any flashy spoon @ rivermouths-a few Snook too

Crocs like Poppers that I do know.

2. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Looks like you are having fun. Nice Tarpon! Post more photos, please!

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Mel,
    We had a dream trip today.
    After releasing 7 - 8 tarpon in 100 - 120 lb range, we returned to the dock by 1:00 pm.
    We must lost about a dozen tarpon and 7 - 8 darpon were hooked with jigs.

I brought several Black Hole rods for testing and I fought 5 tarpon with 5 different Black Hole Rods.
    Mission is accomplished. :)

New Black Hole Pioneer inshore slow pitch rods were great. I used BH Pioneer conventional rod and spinning rod today.
    I asked two Capt on my boat to take videos and pictures. I have plenty of them now.

After reviewing videos/pictures taken, I will decide which Black Hole rods to be used tomorrow.
    If tarpon fishing tomorrow is as good as today, I will fish tarpon half day and go up to the river for snook in the afternoon tomorrow.

-----------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

------------------

4. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Sounds like you are having a blast! Looking forward to the videos....

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Finally three days tarpon fishing is over. I thought it would be very hard to duplicate fishing day like yesterday, but it happened today.
    It is unbelievable that I could test all 9 different models of Black Hole rods in three days.

I am leaving for San Jose tomorrow morning and stay one night in San Jose. But it will take time to sort out 840 pictures. :)

[​IMG]

---------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

light tackle in action for 80 - 110 lb tarpon today.

Black Hole Cape Cod Special 150g jigging rod/JM PE4 reel
    Black Hole Hurricane B7/H2MF slow pitch jigging rod/JM PE2 reel
    The Hurricane slow pitch jigging rod's line rating is only 1.5 - 3 PE.

[​IMG]

----------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

7. hugohmtz

hugohmtz Junior member

Really interested on the Black Hole Hurricane for slow pitch. Can you share more info Kil about how they perform and when the will be in stock?

Thanks

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Lifting test of Hurricane slow pitch jigging rods by a testing machine is excellent. But testing by a machine and testing while fishing is totally different. That is why I try to test many rods on my fishing trips.
    The particular model of Hurricane slow pitch rod is one of the lightest rods among Hurricane slow pitch rods. They are good for fluke. But I wanted to test the rod for tarpon to see the strength of the rod. Capt was so impressed with the performance of the rod and said he's never seen such a rod in 25 years guide there.

Seeing is believing. I am going to post pictures and video of fighting big tarpon with the rod.
    I also tested two Black Hole Silk slow pitch jigging rod as well as Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80g and 150g for tarpon.

Check out website for the availability of the rods.

-------------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Seeing is believing.

[​IMG]

--------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

10. Irish Jigger

Irish Jigger Member

WTF (where's the fish)? Feeling seasick after watching that.

11. hugohmtz

hugohmtz Junior member

Kil if I see correct on the videos the rod is a Magic Eye 753 correct?
    Thanks
    Hugo

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Yes.

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

When you have overseas fishing trips, you are easily get disappointed because you have great expectation. However this tarpon trip at Silver King Lodge in Costa Rica is beyond my expectation. I expected to catch a few decent tarpon in 60 - 150 lb tarpon a day at most before the trip as I know I have to be at the right place at the right time based on my past experience.

April 27

They picked me up along with two other fishermen from Sleepy Inn at 5:30 am and went to a small airport nearby. the flight took about 30 minutes. Lodge staff waited us at the airport. It was only 5 minutes boat ride from the airport to the Silver King Lodge.
    We could leave the dock for fishing at 8:00 am after breakfast. My regular guide is Marvin, but I hired another Capt named Guinder for taking pictures and videos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

7'5" Black Hole Magic Eye 753S

I got the first tarpon on the trip with Yozuri X-rap. The reason I used the lure first is
    I got the confidence with the lure because I landed 100 lb tarpon with the lure in Florida last Dec. I was curious whether the light 8.3 oz popping rod could handle a big tarpon.
    The light rod is designed for seabass (suzuki) or small yellowtail.
    To my surprise the rod with Shimano Stella 5000 handled 80 lb tarpon beautifully.
    I am not a guy who use very light drag and fight forever. :) I fought with 15 - 18 lb drag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

8' Black Hole Magic Eye 804 conventional rod

We put baits on 9' Black Hole Magic Eye 804 spinning rod and conventional rod to test heavier rods first and the line of Magic Eye 804 conventional rod/JM PE5 took off.
    I knew this fish is a nice tarpon immediately. But I gave good pressure using heavier drag as I know the rod can handle any size tarpon. Most fish gave up after they come up to the surface, but tarpon seems different. They look to regain power after they breathe. :)
    This tarpon turned out to be the biggest tarpon I caught on this trip. The estimated weight is around 140 lb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-------------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

blaasoppie likes this.
  16. hugohmtz

hugohmtz Junior member

The more I see those Magic Eye rods the more I fall in love of them. Soon soon I hope.

17. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

April 28/29

I had an incredible fishing for two days. It started slow for both days, but it didn't take long to see boiling/jumping tarpon.
    It was hard to make a decision whether to hold a rod or a camera in my hands. :)One
    I could test all 9 different Black Hole rods for tarpon in three days. My mission is accomplished. :)

As the main purpose of this trip is to test Black Hole rods, I am going to post action pictures of each rod one by one.

A. Black Hole Hurricane 70/H2MF Slow Pitch Jigging rod.

This rod is very light jigging rod suitable to small fish in 5 - 20 lb range as the line rating is only 1.5 PE - 3 PE.
    I brought this rod for snook fishing, but I decided to test this rod for big tarpon as I gained my confidence after two days fishing with light Black Hole rod for tarpon. Machine lifting test for this rod is great, but actually fishing is different from a machine test. You got to test rods in real fishing
    situation. You got to be impressed with the rod considering the Hurricane models are not high end models of Black Hole rods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--------------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

talktojie likes this.
  18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Slow pitch jigging is very popular in Japan and Korea nowadays.
    Black Hole Pioneer rod and some Hurricane rods are designed for slow pitch jigging rods and I had an opportunity to feel the Pioneer rods while fighting tarpon.

The Pioneer 635 rods I tested is good for line rating upto PE4 or PE5.
    It is heavier action rod than Magic Eye 632 jigging rod, but I felt the mid section of
    the rod has more flex than Magic Eye 632 or 571 jigging rods though tip section is stiffer.

The Pioneer Spinning rods can be a good candidate for light jigging and popping as the length is about 6'5".

action of Pioneer spinning
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

action of Pioneer conventional (spiral ) rod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------------

www.jignpop.com
    www.jignpopforum.com
    www.blackholeUSA.com

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am asked many times how the action of Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80g and 150g are.
    But I couldn't answer except those rods are a little moderate fast action rods unlike BH 250g/350g/450g which are fully parabolic because the rods are new and I haven't tested them.
    After fighting tarpon with those rods, I feel the rods can take beating with bigger fish.

action of BH 80g (spinning)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]