Tailwalk Gunz

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by BAOSABI, Jul 9, 2008.

1. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Anyone knows were to buy some Tailwalk Gunz in blue, 180mm, and 120g.
    APS ran out.

2. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

The green ones worked great this past weekend.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

if APS is out there is nothing domestic

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I'm going to buy different colors if they're in stock. APS' website is messed up right now though, i'd call to double check.

now i almost wish i didn't mention the lure, everyone is buying them up!!!! :)

5. papio

papio Senior Member

You guys were using sinkers or floaters?

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

PM me. I might get them for you.

7. jig

jig Senior Member

There are a lot of similar lures, such as the one made by Diawa and YoZuri. Do you think there is that much difference in one vs. the other among this style of "slider minnow?"

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

There are a lot of similar lures, such as the one made by Diawa and YoZuri. Do you think there is that much difference in one vs. the other among this style of "slider minnow?"
    no

9. jig

jig Senior Member

Okay Kil, save us all some time and money. In your opinion, what's the best "value" brand and make in this style lure (considering construction quality, etc. for the price)? Size and color?

The shibuki is apparently now around $40 a piece, and that's just too much for me. :)

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I bought the tailwalk bc i thought it looked like a good lure, the large sinking model was over 100g which makes casting easier with heavy gear and it was not super expensive ($24). I bought it more or less to just see how it works and how it handled fish. My only complaint is that the finish and paint did not hold up great, though I did have a lot of tuna (both blackfin and yellow) hit that lure.

On the next trip I have my eye on 4 or 5 other lures to try. the problem is that I think if you really want to "test" a lure you need to give it time. Any lure will work when the bite is crazy so if you're comparing lures and one happens to be used in a hot bite the other when its slow thats not really a good comparison.

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

BAOSABI: If you have no objection, I am doing my "after-action analysis and lessons learned" that I do after every trip, and I would like to tailgate on your post with a question about the Shibukis since they were mentioned:

I had several along on the trip--all lipless, but I noticed that almost all of the ones others were using had the lip. The action seemed more darting in nature. Do those of you with Shibuki experience feel strongly about the lipped over the lipless version?

Thanks,

Russ

12. rtran

rtran Senior Member

The tailwalk is in stock.

UR - My lipless shibuki seems to have more darting action that the lipped one. But if I give sharp jerks it gives off a good swim action but if retrived steadily it just swims straight. I believe the lipped gives more action because during steady retrive the lip gives pressure therefore causing the lure to give off swim action.

13. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

I'm going to buy different colors if they're in stock. APS' website is messed up right now though, i'd call to double check.

now i almost wish i didn't mention the lure, everyone is buying them up!!!! :)

Yeh Bret, this is all your fault. :)

14. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

BAOSABI: If you have no objection, I am doing my "after-action analysis and lessons learned" that I do after every trip, and I would like to tailgate on your post with a question about the Shibukis since they were mentioned:

I had several along on the trip--all lipless, but I noticed that almost all of the ones others were using had the lip. The action seemed more darting in nature. Do those of you with Shibuki experience feel strongly about the lipped over the lipless version?

Thanks,

Russ

Anytime Russ. I appreciate all info any lures.

15. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

I will give them a call to check.

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i was very pleased with the lure, but will definitely try others as a comparison. i thought the lure was built very well.

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Thanks,

Russ

UR

the lip less is a working mans lure where as the lipped version is not. If you like to work the lure then get the lip less version it you like to cast and retrieve the lipped version.

If you can wait till @ november TJ will be releasing his proto type swim baits. I was haphazardly casting one into the wind with the 8 1/2 foot OTI proto type popping rod and had fish blow up on it on the first 5 cast. Each cast the swim bait had fish wanting the swim bait. The swim bait made its on action and didn't require any special work to get it to "walk the dog".

d-a

18. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Doug: That must have been the one I cast as well. In bay fishing, I have a horrible time making any lure walk. The one I tried of his walked no matter what I did. I don't think I could have prevented it.

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Doug: That must have been the one I cast as well. In bay fishing, I have a horrible time making any lure walk. The one I tried of his walked no matter what I did. I don't think I could have prevented it.

I thought you did, I caught several fish on it before TJ took it back from me.

d-a

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

NICE!!!!!!! I can't wait for it, I was just about to buy a crap load of shibukis. I maybe still will and get these too!