Tady swimming jigs for BFT?!?!

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by dingoatemebaby, Sep 16, 2009.

1. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Senior Member

anyone use these? got a buddy who has been smokin BFTs up to 150lbs east of Chatham, but im not sure what size or color, looking to score some for next week, thanks!

murph

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

caught them on tadys in the gulf of mexico......mostly a topwater retrieve. but tuna are tuna so i think you can do it

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i meant yellowfin though, not bluefin. well, and blackfin but they dont count

4. wacker

wacker Senior Member

Tadys, Sumo, and Salas are all good ol fashion swimming iron that have always caught fish. Getyasum!

Chrome and blue or green are my favorites but that tady robin egg is a killer too.

5. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

IHAVE HAD SOME SUCESS WITH TADYS ON YFT IN GOM. NEED TO TAKE THE TREBLES OFF AS I HAVE HAD THEM STRAIGHTEN OUT AND USE A GOOD SINGLE HOOK. THE TUNA HIT THE TADYS PRETTY HARD AS YOU HAVE TO REEL FAST TO KEEP THE LURE SKIRTING ON THE SURFACE. I WOULD THINK THE BFT WOULD DO THE SAME .WORTH GIVING THEM A TRY.

6. McFinn

McFinn Guest

Grescobia, you could catch a BFT on a chartruese dog turd. You plenty of baits in that ole' tackle box. No worries

7. McFinn

McFinn Guest

I hope you and McGolfer tear them a new one this weekend. I'll be thinking about y'all from the metropolis of winters texas where my son and I will be shooting alot of holes in the sky.

8. McFinn

McFinn Guest

Grescobia, go look at the offshore forum, on the side I posted some of our vintage pics.

9. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Senior Member

anyone have a model # or size for me?

10. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

11. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I would change the hooks. Typically they come stock with trebles i believe. You'll need a pair of small bolt cutters

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ive used a bunch and they all work. peter used them in panama and they worked well also. just get one with a good weight (2-4 oz) and cast away.

as a side note i had some that we used to use in CA when i was like 6 years old and they still worked. replaced hooks though :)

13. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

ive used a bunch and they all work. peter used them in panama and they worked well also.

Yea I would say so. 50lb+ Cubera 3 casts in

[​IMG]

They also work well on turtles if youre into that sort of thing

[​IMG]

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

is sea turtle soup any good?

15. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

Tady Lures have a rich history of more than 40 years of catching tons of fish in California and Baja waters.
    Founder Tady Shimizu gave us some extraordinary fishing tools.
    The company has been ably run for many years by his son Jim, and now his grandson Joey is coming onboard to keep it going for at least another generation.
    Out here on the "left coast', we don't have really large bluefin, but we do have them up to around 150 pounds, along with plenty of yellowfin tuna, albacore, wahoo, white seabass, amberjack [technically almacos], pargo [snapper], and right on down to 4-pound barracuda and bonito on the local half-day boats; Tadys work great on all of them.
    When I visited Islamorada, the local AJ's went absolutely crazy for them.
    For the most part, Tadys are sold with treble hooks, so there will be some instances where a hook change may be necessary.
    When doing so, use the smallest possible replacement hook for the fish at hand, because "over hooking" can throw off the swimming balance that makes the lures so effective.

Disclaimer- Was taught to fish with jigs by Tady Shimizu himself in the late-1960's.

16. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

definetely agree with the overhooking. I was using a single hook to cut down the weight, an 8/0 gami siwash worked fine