360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang

We got into Costa Rica late Thursday night, found an all night grocery store and laid in supplies. Got to Los Suenos just before midnight.

Friday 7:30AM - we fished on the Penguin's boat from Cape May a very nice '48 Viking. Went to an area with some very dramatic depth changes (300 to 2200 feet in under a mile). The marina here is top notch by any standards and nicer than most back home. The grounds are nice, well manicured lawns, pools, golf, small shopping.

Raised ten sails today, landed six - got some excellent video that I will try to upload to utube. In the middle of the day we had a triple header of two sails and a tuna that was pretty crazy. Did better than most of the boats but still somewhat of a slow day - we where hoping to raise more so hopefully fishing improves but the water is crazy warm right now.

Pics and videos to follow!

·
2,753 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some nice sails! Nothing beats the video for proof of beauty in those sails. Keep em hooked!

·
35 Posts
Thanks for the report. I'm sure you are finding out nearly half the people you run into there are from the CM area.
Does he run his own boat down there or does a local run it for him?

·
110 Posts
Good to hear you got down there safe and sound Dan and your already gettin into em good!!!! Any chance your going to drop a fly back to one of those Sails????

·
Site Sponsor
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey you where invited multiple times :D get your ass down here! The bite is so so but we are having fun. Its like being in Cape May this week, lots of guys from back home!

Today Matt from Jersey Cape took us out. We got a very late start (10AM) so we headed straight across the bay and starting popping. We connected with some nice jacks, including a monster horse eye jack by Paul.

Then I connected with a MONSTER rooster, this thing was sooo strong, he took line effortlessly at #20 drag on the J/M PE 4. It was a crazy fight the fish went under the boat, around the boat, around the outboards - but Matt did a great great job and Howard was able to grab it. Fish was so heavy it took two of us to get him over the rail. Wish we had a scale!

By the above rocks we hooked into a Monster Rooster, I saw it come up behind the boat and it was pretty late in the day and I thought
I had a very large cubera but it didn't fight like one - ran straight away and didn't try to go deep at first. Bob threw the boat in reverse and at about that moment Tom hooked into a monster Horse Eye'd Jack. It was chaos. The Rooster surfaced but it had its
doral tucked down so at first I thought I had a very large Jack like Tom's. But they we got leader and we saw that it was in fact
a COW Rooster. He saw the boat and took off - under the boat - I bumped the drag on the J/M PE 4 up to full and still he peeled
line off effortlessly! It was touch and go, the rod was bent to the max and about a foot into the water, as I strained to keep
the line off the bottom of the boat, Matt couldn't really spin us as the Rooster went left and the Jack went right.

As Tom screamed leader - get ur ass up here, the Jack took off again - as I yelled for Howard to forgot the Jack and grab the Rooster.
This circus act was repeated a few time and Matt was in his glory - mayhem!!!

The good news, Rooster's don't have teeth - Matt yelled at Howard to grab him in the mouth, which Howard did but he couldn't lift him over the gunnel! I put down the rod and together we heaved the kicking beast into the boat! Touchdown.

Both Matt and Howard are pretty big guys - we never got a tape on him but I'd say an easy 70+ lbs

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss321/BostonTangler/Los%20Suenos%202010/IMG_2519.jpg
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss321/BostonTangler/Los%20Suenos%202010/IMG_2505.jpg

·
Site Sponsor
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the report. I'm sure you are finding out nearly half the people you run into there are from the CM area.
Does he run his own boat down there or does a local run it for him?
A local Capt Charlie - very good. Nice boat too....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts