Tackle Shops in Port A, TX

Discussion in 'Saltywater Tackle' started by TXLAW, Sep 10, 2012.

1. TXLAW

TXLAW Member

Okay so the first night i started off vertical jigging with a pink and glo knife jig and was hooking blackfins left and right. My girlfriend hooked into a yellowfin while vertical jigging and lost it at boat side. After catching more blackfins than I cared to keep, we started chunking blackfin chunks on the surface with freelines. I hooked into my first yellowfin which took me from the back of the boat to the front before It was gaffed and brought aboard. KC one of the deckhands informed me that since it was my first that I had to eat the heart, he also generously cut the heart out for me. Im not going to say it was terrible eating it, but I dont care to ever do it again. about an hour later sometime around 12:00AM my girlfriend caught her first yellow on the chunk. It was an intense battle for her but she eventually got it to the surface. Again KC was generous enough to cut the heart out for her to eat. yellofin #2 came for me around 2 AM. Yellowfin #2 for my girlfriend came around 3 AM. The next day was spent trolling and deep jigging next to the rig. I caught a pretty decent amberjack while deep jigging next to the rig. the 2nd night it rained off and on and was pretty unproductive. Im not saying nobody caught fish because plenty of people did, I however had very little success. I did hook into yellowfin #3 only to lose it before getting it to the surface (it felt like a yellowfin anyway). I hope this review is good enough. It was a pretty awesome trip and I cant wait to go back. However I am good on fish in the freezer for a while. Pork chop (the captain) said that he estimated the catch to be 6,000 pounds of fish for the 24 anglers. I think all in all we had 39 yellowfins but I am not positive on that number.

2. MD2595

MD2595 Senior Member

i sure did eat the heart. I think that is why i bagged the 2nd yellowfin. My girlfriend also bagged her first yellowfin and ate the heart. She also got a 2nd yellowfin after that. So we had a pretty awesome trip.

police brutality!!!

3. etan

etan Senior Member

Thanks for the report, sounds like a good trip.

4. t-astragal

t-astragal Senior Member

Jason, that is better. I think I can speak for 360 here. Your first report left us all hanging wanting more. Now I, we, can almost forgive the lack of pictures. :)

Steve

5. Get'n Jiggy

Get'n Jiggy Ultimate Warrior

Okay so the first night i started off vertical jigging with a pink and glo knife jig and was hooking blackfins left and right. My girlfriend hooked into a yellowfin while vertical jigging and lost it at boat side. After catching more blackfins than I cared to keep, we started chunking blackfin chunks on the surface with freelines. I hooked into my first yellowfin which took me from the back of the boat to the front before It was gaffed and brought aboard. KC one of the deckhands informed me that since it was my first that I had to eat the heart, he also generously cut the heart out for me. Im not going to say it was terrible eating it, but I dont care to ever do it again. about an hour later sometime around 12:00AM my girlfriend caught her first yellow on the chunk. It was an intense battle for her but she eventually got it to the surface. Again KC was generous enough to cut the heart out for her to eat. yellofin #2 came for me around 2 AM. Yellowfin #2 for my girlfriend came around 3 AM. The next day was spent trolling and deep jigging next to the rig. I caught a pretty decent amberjack while deep jigging next to the rig. the 2nd night it rained off and on and was pretty unproductive. Im not saying nobody caught fish because plenty of people did, I however had very little success. I did hook into yellowfin #3 only to lose it before getting it to the surface (it felt like a yellowfin anyway). I hope this review is good enough. It was a pretty awesome trip and I cant wait to go back. However I am good on fish in the freezer for a while. Pork chop (the captain) said that he estimated the catch to be 6,000 pounds of fish for the 24 anglers. I think all in all we had 39 yellowfins but I am not positive on that number.

Good job on the chunk man. I'm a chunk'n fool and you see why now :D

6. tunatexas

tunatexas Senior Member

Thank you! for this report..... Aj on the floater! what a bonus fish.....
    Hope to fish with you sometime!