Tackle Shops in Port A, TX

Discussion in 'Saltywater Tackle' started by TXLAW, Sep 10, 2012.

1. TXLAW

TXLAW Member

I am headed down next weekend to go tuna fishing on the scat cat. Is there any tackle shops around the area that sell Tuna Jigs and topwater poppers. I could use a few more before heading out.

2. hamster1

hamster1 Senior Member

Port A Outfitters is going to be the number one spot. Your gonna pay for it though. They are proud of their gear, but that being said, I always buy from them on things that I forgot at home. Nothing like supporting the local businesses.

They also have the best fresh/dead baits!

3. TXLAW

TXLAW Member

Thanks Hamster, One more question, because I know you go with the scat cat alot. I am trying to decide what to take to eat. If I take cold microwave able food, is there a way to keep it cold on the boat. I know after the first day my ice will be melted in my ice chest.

4. Get'n Jiggy

Get'n Jiggy Ultimate Warrior

Port A Outfitters is going to be the number one spot. Your gonna pay for it though. They are proud of their gear, but that being said, I always buy from them on things that I forgot at home. Nothing like supposing the local businesses.

They also have the best fresh/dead baits!

SHHHHHH!!! :p

5. Get'n Jiggy

6. tunatexas

tunatexas Senior Member

Scat Cat has a frig - BUT - everytime Ive gone the frig has been full to max.
    You might check with fishermans wharf about the frig, etc - When I take
    my cooler I go by IGA, a local food store, buy dry ice and put in in the bottom
    of the cooler put ice on top of it. then you will have a cool space for the trip.
    Do not put dry ice right on bottom use an isulator or ice. Have a great trip!
    Scat Cat is a great boat and crew.

7. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I'd drop the $$ on a decent ice chest, then bring what you want.
    jmo....

8. hyperman

hyperman Senior Member

The fridge is for crew use, not customer. We are supposed to bring our own ice and food and drink and cooler(s).
    The dry ice is a good suggestion, it will keep the ice you ahve frozen hard for a day or more, then it starts melting.
    The microwave and gas grill up top are available for customer use.
    (BTW: when you see a big pile of cooked food on the counters in the galley... that means the crew is
    about to eat... don;t snarf it. If they are all fed and there is left overs, they will let you know,
    but they do not provide food for customers. )

I forgot there was a trip coming up soon... i'll stop by to help catch bait if i am home in time.

Scat Cat has a frig - BUT - everytime Ive gone the frig has been full to max.
    You might check with fishermans wharf about the frig, etc - When I take
    my cooler I go by IGA, a local food store, buy dry ice and put in in the bottom
    of the cooler put ice on top of it. then you will have a cool space for the trip.
    Do not put dry ice right on bottom use an isulator or ice. Have a great trip!
    Scat Cat is a great boat and crew.

9. cactusfishman

cactusfishman Senior Member

The fridge is for crew use, not customer. We are supposed to bring our own ice and food and drink and cooler(s).
    The dry ice is a good suggestion, it will keep the ice you ahve frozen hard for a day or more, then it starts melting.
    The microwave and gas grill up top are available for customer use.
    (BTW: when you see a big pile of cooked food on the counters in the galley... that means the crew is
    about to eat... don;t snarf it. If they are all fed and there is left overs, they will let you know,
    but they do not provide food for customers. )

I forgot there was a trip coming up soon... i'll stop by to help catch bait if i am home in time.

It is good to feed the deckhands and captains, IMO, and plan on a cookout for everyone on the trip home if folks bring enough stuff. I was on a trip like that in Jan. and it was great.

10. jig

jig Senior Member

I bring one Coleman 50qt steel ice chest. I bring about 16 water bottles, half frozen; half dozen bottle cokes, 4 beers, small bottle milk, 4 sub sandwiches and a few apples. Top with ice. Never had it melt out, even on 3 day tuna trip in summer.

I also bring MW bowl meals. Six Dinty stew, hearty soups, chicken/dumplings. Cereal/MW oatmeal for BF, two pringle cans, chex mix, mixed individual pack cookies. You don't need as much food as you think.

11. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

I've only had a problem when using smaller (50qt and below) ice chests. I have a 98qt igloo that lasts just fine on 60hr trips. In other words, take more ice!

12. cactusfishman

cactusfishman Senior Member

13. TXLAW

TXLAW Member

Thanks for everyones input. I ended up going to port a outfitters and found their prices pretty reasonable. Had an awesome trip. Bagged my first 2yellowfins between 60and 80 pounds. 12blackfins, and a nice aj

14. The Great PF

The Great PF Senior Member

When you caught the first yf, did you do what you're supposed to do?

15. etan

etan Senior Member

We need a better report than that! :)

16. Get'n Jiggy

We need a better report than that! :)

no kidd'n :)

17. Get'n Jiggy

When you caught the first yf, did you do what you're supposed to do?

I hope he did...... it makes the tuna gods happy plus it's funny :D

18. TXLAW

TXLAW Member

I sure did eat the heart. I think that is why I bagged the 2nd yellowfin. My girlfriend also bagged her first yellowfin and ate the heart. She also got a 2nd yellowfin after that. So we had a pretty awesome trip.

19. tunatexas

tunatexas Senior Member

Sounds like a good trip! Thanks for the note..... Give a little more details if you have time - -