Tackle Questions

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by bighead, May 17, 2006.

1. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Will someone give me a rundown of the different techniques and tackle that might be used on the GEM trip? I'm interested in developing a game plan for acquiring the needed tackle before the trip. What tackle might pull double duty and be used for more than one technique? Thanks, bighead

2. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

The E means exploration. Both technique and new areas to fish.
    It is really hard to say that you should bring x, y and z. Alpha and gamma might be what works best.
    I have seen used....
    kites, helium ballons, plain party ballons, diamond jigs, knife jigs, topwater plugs, flying fish imatations, daisy chains, spreader bar rigs, birds,.....
    Lures include illanders and Mold crafts.
    McGolfer will carry more tackle than you can shake a stick at...

I would carry a basic assortment of hooks and weights. From small to large. You never know what bait you may use and how much current you might find.

3. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

DSG is right.

I'll bring 5-6 rigs to cover from catching bait to an 80 lb. rig and focus on jigging, topwater, chunking with trolling thrown in there somewhere.

We'll more than likely set up at least one night for deep drops looking for swordies, but I don't know if they'll be in the area.

Once we get the last person signed up (we're up to 9!), we'll start a lot more threads about it.

4. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Thanks guys, I may be getting worked up a little early for this trip. I wish the boat was pulling out in the morning! I've got some tackle that should do fine and will fill in the holes as they become apparent.

5. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

D_S+G and Ragman, answered it all. These are items I am going to bring with me.
    I will have 4 rigs with me.
    1. 80-130# rig
    2. 50# rig
    3. 50# casting or maybe a spinner (I really hoping for)
    4. 10# rig (yes, you read it correct LOL)

i will have an Aftco kite, 12" baloon and helium tank with me. Few trolling lures, poppers, jigs and terminal tackle.