360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My name is Parrothead and I'm a tackle ho. But I'm trying to be a reformed tackle ho - meaning that I'm looking to upgrade my arsenal but not buy a gillion rigs to do it.

I've grown up on sportfish boats my whole life, but am new to the modern jigging and popping tackle and techniques. I would like to start out modestly by picking up one jigging rod and one spinning rod for popping.

I've got a Trini 40N that I've been using on AJs, Snappers, Ling and Kings. But I'm going to re-rig it and put it on a 600g OTI for tuna. I figure this might be a little overkill for AJs but not for tuna so maybe it will serve well for 400-600g jigs.

As far as the spinner goes, I need a little more help. I've been thinking about an OTI 40/60 Tuna Sniper and fishing a Saragossa or Stella 18000 and 65lb. But I'm not sure how well this rod will serve me on the headboats. I need some help with that.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Norm

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
The 40-60 sniper is a good choice.

They do make a shorter rod.
7'6"
it may be a better choice for headboat.

The 18k is nice,
i have a 10K i use for popping.
if line cap is a issue, use the bigger reel.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
The 40/60 sniper blank is a weapon. Serious lifting power and chugging ability for such a long, light and skinny stick. It easily gets 80m+ casting distance with 100g poppers and heavy braid and 200lb leader cast off the spool!

The Sara is a capable reel but I would reckon checkout the 1200 SW twinpower as well as its between the sara and the stella. The 1200 takes 300y of PE6 and good quality PE6 breaks around 90lb

·
2,753 Posts
hi friend, Where do you live? Where do you plan to fish most out of?
Knowing that may help us help you cover tuna applications.
600g may totally be overkill for some location.

Are you hunting bft or yft?
If you are an international type fisherperson then go with a good 400g rod. That cover most applications.

As far as headboats the long 8'6" may help because of the overcompensation you need to control fish while fighting/waiting for a gaff.

·
2,753 Posts
hi friend, Where do you live? Where do you plan to fish most out of?
Knowing that may help us help you cover tuna applications.
600g may totally be overkill for some location.

Are you hunting bft or yft?
If you are an international type fisherperson then go with a good 400g rod. That cover most applications.

As far as headboats the long 8'6" may help because of the overcompensation you need to control fish while fighting/waiting for a gaff.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enoch,

I am a crewboat captain, working in the GOM. When I fish at work, we're usually tied up 100' from the platform, so I need to be able to really pull hard to get a big fish away from the rig. Thus the 600g. But, I'm a blue-collar guy who will probably do most of my recreational fishing on headboats like the Big E or Dolphin.

Never thought of the longer rods as a tool for controlling a fish, but more for castability.

·
5,457 Posts
Enoch,

I am a crewboat captain, working in the GOM. When I fish at work, we're usually tied up 100' from the platform, so I need to be able to really pull hard to get a big fish away from the rig. Thus the 600g. But, I'm a blue-collar guy who will probably do most of my recreational fishing on headboats like the Big E or Dolphin.

Never thought of the longer rods as a tool for controlling a fish, but more for castability.

I think you would be happier with the 400g OTI jigging rod personnally. For the Big E I would try and stay under 8.5 ft. I have the 40-60 Tuna sniper and the 7.5 extreme popping rod. Ive used both on the Big E and i prefer the fish handling ability's of the 7.5 but I like the casting ability of the Tuna sniper so its really a toss up.

d-a

·
3,718 Posts
I can tell I'm gonna have to go to a tackle shop and pull on these rods myself.

Best Idea yet. I've always thought that was the only way to tell if your going to like a rod or not. You gotta' bend it:)

G

·
should be back up sometime monday....rick

if not call the office and they will let you know the dates of the upcoming tuna trips...

·
1,482 Posts
Welcome to the board ParrotHead. I am no expert, but i will happily let you know what I think.

With respect to the spinning reels, i would stick with Shimano, i know someone had suggested Accruate, but i just went through this process and its pretty unanimous, stick with shimano. Saragosa if you dont want to pay for the Stella, stella if you find a deal or are willing to pay for one.
My recent reel thread

with respect to the 600g jigging rod. i currently have a 500g Mudhole blank by JPR Custom Rods and although not a "high end" jigging rod (actually very affordable) it can easily handle AJ well above the 100lb mark. From what i have heard, Gulf tuna dont get THAT big. You would probably enjoy yourself more with a high quality 400g/450g rod. remember that most jigs catching tuna(and this is what im told not what i know) are much smaller than 400g, so i think you would be better suited with a 400g rod. i think it so much, Paul(JPR Custom Rods) is building me a 400g JiggingMaster Acid Wrap as we speak :)
My 500g JPR

im not going to be any help with the popping rod because i am in the process of getting my first couple right now.

Good luck to you and again, welcome to 360tuna!
Aaron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts