Tackle Help !?!?

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by basschump, Aug 4, 2008.

1. basschump

basschump Junior member

Howdy all-
    This is my first post and I am trying to get this long range thing figured out.
    I am an avid, tournament bass fisherman and would be considered a bass tackle ho for sure. I can't afford an offshore tackle addiction.

I am seriously considering an 52 hour trip in the spirng and trying to figure out what tackle I need. I read the link for recommended tackle in the party boat section of this forum and have read a ton other posts.

I own 40-100 lb Cabelas Conventional Rod (1st guide and tip are rollers) paired with a Daiwa 600H reel (single speed).
    Would this outfit with braid be adequate as a chunk/deep bait rod?

I also own a speedmaster 6:1/ heavy action ugly stick. I works great for kings. I also used it last summer drifting shrimpers for bf tuna, and it seemed adequate. Would this outfit have a use on the Big E?

I would like to purchase a jigging/topwater rod- but don't know if I want conventional or spinning.

I can't afford stella and the nicer 2 speeds.

I was thinking something in the price range of a saltist 40 and a sea majic rod. I am not sure if it will throw the poppers or is quite enough for a large yellowfin.

For spinning- something like the Saragosa 18000.

I would appreciate any insights or adivice!

I'll ask for input on jigs and poppers in post.

This site is AWESOME!

BC

2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I can't chime in on the chunk/live bait but for jigging and popping you have pretty good choices already.

Saltiga 40 and sea majic rod is nice. Saragosa 18000 on a popping rod is also a good setup.

3. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Basschump,

The shorter rods like the Seamagic will work for jigging, but you need a rod at least 7ft long for popping. If you want a single outfit to jig and pop with, you need to choose a rod at least 7ft. in length. You can easily jig with a long rod, but you cannot pop w/ a short one.

The Saragosa and an OTI popping rod would be a fantastic combo. Another rod to consider is the Calstar 700H wrapped as a spinner. There used to be some folks selling them semi-production, but you might need to DYI or have a custom builder make one for you.

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Welcome to the board.

I have found that one can purchase nice older reels and rods from private sellers and fleabay.

My advice is to beg, borrow or rent some equipment. Take your own stuff too. Go fishing watch and ask questions and learn.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

look for a penn baja special for a cheaper jigging reel.

saragosa will definitely work. as someone said, you should have at least a 7' rod for popping. I would go spinning even if you feel you're a very good caster, since you will inevitably get birds' nests after casting at night for long hours.

600H is fine for chunking.

6. gmack

gmack Senior Member

Go with spinning for popping. I am pretty good casting a conventional reel, but at night from a rocking boat it's really hard. After about an hour casting my saltist with a popper I went for a spinner!

Gary

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

chump:The first bait rod I bought was the very Cabelas rod you are describing--to be paired with a665 wide high (single) speed reel. I pulled on it but never fished with it. Then I read a few posts that warned that rod might break easily. I don't believe it now, but I worried about it then--personally from my brief kinda-sorta living-room experience with that rod, I think it would handle 20-25 pounds of drag just fine, and most here will not advise you to go above tht for tuna (although more might be helpful for prying grouper and amberjack away from structure.) All I can really speak to here is that rod, and I would suspect it will do OK for you--at least until you can upgrade.

Russ

8. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

BC; I would find a good offshore tackle shop..I recommend Trophy Tackle John SR & JR not only sell everthing you may need but are experienced fisherman..
    They carry all top of the line rods, reels, lures & jigs...You can check out there wedsite at Tuna Fish Tackle - Offshore and Inshore Premium Fishing Tackle
    Dont forget to ask about there custom GUSA Wahoo rods..

9. bunile

bunile Senior Member

Bass fishing is better. This offshore is for CRAZY PEOPLE !!!

10. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Saltiga 40 to jig and short cast or chunk w/6 to 7', h (50lb) to xh (80) rod of choice
    A quality spinner like saragosa just upgrade drags or a stella 8000 if you can pull it off (just sell off some of the excess bass junk you dont use) paired with an OTI popping rod 50lb or similar rod, I dont think you'll find a better rod for the $$.
    These 2 outfits should have you set and happy for a long time and if you decide to stick to bassin you shouldn't have any problems getting your $ back out of them.
    As Bunile said "bass fishing is better this offshore is for crazy people"
    Welcome to the assilum, Oh and bass fishing is not better at least not for me!
    Anyone want to buy a 522 ranger comanche with a 250hp yamaha????

11. d-a

d-a Senior Member

you getting another Glacier Bay?

Freddy and I can help pay for fuel.

d-a

12. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Bass fishing is better. This offshore is for CRAZY PEOPLE !!!

No wonder I've been called "CRAZY" so many times.:eek:
    I would have never figured it out.:D

The last time I went bass fishing was at a South Texas stock tank. That's the only fresh water fishing I will even consider. You can back up your truck to the water, pull down the tailgate and mix a drink. Just sitting on the tailgate casting and drinking is a pleasant break from trolling the sendero's on the high rack searching for a potential B&C.

Some on those South Texas stock tanks have some 8-12 pound bass. I just toss them back. I have also noticed when the water level gets low and the bait in the tank is low, the bass are almost all head. No meat or body. That's the beauty of salt water fishing. No bait, the fish have freedom to roam.

That's one of problems in the gulf right now. That hurricane Dolly has spread out everything. Water color isn't good, bait is scattered and fish are hard to find.

13. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I'll bid... 3.50....

Green trouts...

Opps! :)

14. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Never had any experience with the Cabelas rods, but I'm not a big fan of those large chain store brand rods. I've used the Ugly Stiks in the past. They'll handle BFT just fine, but wouldn't try and horse any big AJ's or larger YFT with them on a party boat.

The Saltist is a fine reel. I've used mine on multiple trips and it's never let me down, although I did upgrade the washers just for fun. I'd stick to using it for jigging since it's great for that paired with some 65lb braid. See if you can get an affordable spinner if you really want to toss topwaters. Just let us know what you're planning on buying and someone on this board has probably fished with it and can give you the pros and cons of it.

15. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

you getting another Glacier Bay?

Freddy and I can help pay for fuel.

d-a

:D :D :D :D :D :D

16. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

No wonder I've been called "CRAZY" so many times.:eek:
    I would have never figured it out.:D

That's one of problems in the gulf right now. That hurricane Dolly has spread out everything. Water color isn't good, bait is scattered and fish are hard to find.

I don't think offshore fishing is for crazy people. I think some people are just born a little crazy.:D
    Fish are scattered. But, last day of snapper season proved to be OK. See below picture.

Attached Files:

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

red snapper sashimi, yum.

when i saw mr bill posted on this thread, i was worried since i thought his advice on tackle would be to buy everything since he has so much quality gear :)

18. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

mr bill what do you do with the kings?

19. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Smoked Kingfish Dip?! :)

Nice pic Mr. Bill! Looks like a fine day of fishing to me!

20. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

mr bill what do you do with the kings?

Give them away or release them.

Sometimes I will "Ball" out the dorsal loin and deep fry them for appetizers the day they are caught. By "Ball", I lay the kingfish down on the fillet table, make slices about every one inch and then stick my finger in the dorsal loin and pop out little "balls".

I also like to make gumbo or fish soup stock with kingfish. Otherwise, I just let them go unless someone on the boat wants them to eat. Sometimes they are a nuisance as they attack every jig you drop. They are jig stealer's. I try my best not to catch them, but it's hard to avoid them. They are all over the rocks right now.