Tackle for 70 hour trips

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by jerrybarnes13, Nov 9, 2009.

1. jerrybarnes13

jerrybarnes13 Member

What size tackle do you use on the Big E and other boats on the longer tips.
    Rod and reel size and line class ? Also what size spinnig reel for offshore jigging and popping ??

2. J-Philla

J-Philla Senior Member

when fishing on head boats being sporty is really not a good idea. fishing with heavier tackle may not appeal to most people, but when you r fishin with 40 people u need to be able to slam brakes on fish and control them from getting broke off due to line tangles, braid is one bad mother. As far a rods and reels my motto is keep it simple, bring a big bottom rod and reel like a 50w for bottom fishing/chunk fishing, a jigging combo for jig fishing 20w or 30w high speed, and a casting outfit, stella 18000 or 20000,or trinidad 30w or 50w for topwater action. i really don't think that u need much more, i recommend braid line 80lb for casting topwaters and jig fishing, 250 for bottomfishing. the most important thing to remember is to keep all your gear in the best possible shape u can, and know how to use it!!!! having 8 rods is nice, but it is just more stuff u have to lug to and fro. i think u will be a lot more productive by just investing money in good tackle, u get what u pay for, the original purchase might hurt the pocket book, but properly taken care of it will last a lifetime. After u make your purchases take the time to learn how to use it so, when you are hooked up on a 100LB yellowfin and it is all going down u dont second guess anything, from line to reel.

3. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

when fishing on head boats being sporty is really not a good idea. fishing with heavier tackle may not appeal to most people, but when you r fishin with 40 people u need to be able to slam brakes on fish and control them from getting broke off due to line tangles, braid is one bad mother. As far a rods and reels my motto is keep it simple, bring a big bottom rod and reel like a 50w for bottom fishing/chunk fishing, a jigging combo for jig fishing 20w or 30w high speed, and a casting outfit, stella 18000 or 20000,or trinidad 30w or 50w for topwater action. i really don't think that u need much more, i recommend braid line 80lb for casting topwaters and jig fishing, 250 for bottomfishing. the most important thing to remember is to keep all your gear in the best possible shape u can, and know how to use it!!!! having 8 rods is nice, but it is just more stuff u have to lug to and fro. i think u will be a lot more productive by just investing money in good tackle, u get what u pay for, the original purchase might hurt the pocket book, but properly taken care of it will last a lifetime. After u make your purchases take the time to learn how to use it so, when you are hooked up on a 100LB yellowfin and it is all going down u dont second guess anything, from line to reel.
    Pay attention here- dude knows what he is talking about in the GOM!!!!

4. jig

jig Senior Member

Agree 100%. I now bring 3 outfits on extened trips: Avet 30/2 with 130# braid, Accurate 665W with 80# braid and 60# mono topshot, and spinner with 65# braid plus short leader. That is all you need. I do usually bring one more 60# outfit as a backup, but have yet to need it.

5. jerrybarnes13

jerrybarnes13 Member

I have all the Tackle from 20 -150 Accurate reels up to ATD50. I also have 8 ft rods I use for castng Iron for tuna and yellowtail. The one thing I might be lacking is the spinning out fit. You say Stella 1800-2000. is that correct what size rod, line class and length for the spinning ? All my reels have Izorline braid. Long topshots or short. Straight braid to Florouro or braid to mono and short flouro topshot ??

6. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

Im down to 3 rigs too ....

I got tied of luggin on 12 set-ups to get banged around ...

30wide w/ 130 covers - bottom drops, chunking, trolling
    jiggin setup
    spinner set up for tops & sub-surface

maybe a back up spinner, and or Avet LX

7. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

mud, you on this oti trip?

8. occams razor

occams razor Junior member

I agree with 3 rigs myself. Headboat trips can be for equipment junkies...

Three top quality rigs 1 Heavy, 1 Med-Heavy Jig, 1 spinner.

Braid can be frowned upon in headboat crowd but the younger guys in the

the know will all be using it so don't fret.

I run thee outfits to keep the peace with the old salts.

1 Penn Int 50W with 80 momoi and 100 top shot on a X heavy roller Calstar
    1 Accurate ATD50 with 130 JB hollow w/ Roller XXH Calstar (night swords)
    1 Accurate 600N Extreme with 80JB on a XH Calstar for serious jigging
    1 VanStaal on a StCriox for Mahi and bait.

Travel light and you don't have to worry about loosing stuff.

To keep the piece remember one rod per angler on the rail. People that break

that rule (equipment junkies) become the frowned upon guys when all hell

breaks loose. Tight lines !:cool:

9. Stryper

Stryper Senior Member

Jerry, did you move down there yet? You're going to luv it in Texas. Seems like fishing one of their tuna trips is a far cry from longerange and their handling of the catch is waaaay different.
    I am also moving all my rods from Calstars/Seekers to the OTI style stuff, and looking for a Stella.
    If I wasn't bringing Christian out for Thanksgiving I would have gone down there and jumped on this months trip.
    By the way, I got your old 30 fixed finally.