Swordfishing/YFT trip June 7-8, Venice, LA with Capt Eddie

Discussion in 'Boat Pooling' started by Bellyups, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

24 hour trip with Captain Eddie out of Venice, LA. http://www.fishvenice.com/

Boat--Likely 32 foot Twin Vee catamaran. Can cruise at 30-32mph and has about a 12 foot beam. Possibly 36 foot Palmetto if he doesn't have the Twin Vee by then.

He will give us a nice rate. Rate is $1800 plus fuel. Fuel estimated cost is $400-$500. It is safe to say the trip will be $600 each for 4 people plus tip.
    Game plan is to go after swordfish til about 1am. The swordfish bite is traditionally an early nighttime bite. At about 1am, we will go to the tuna grounds for nighttime YFT fishing. Hopefully, we will also target morning dorado and wahoo before going back in.

Captain Eddie is a great captain and I am a returning customer.
    I want to originally limit this trip to 4 people, as I would like everyone to have a lot of fishing time and space. We can perhaps increase the trip to 6 people, but I want it understood my plan is not to fill the boat with 6 people at this time. I am committing myself plus one space, so 2 will be available.

Scott

2. Staven

Staven Senior Member

All depends when in the summer. I am not big on swords but love tuna fishing. Let me know.

Gabe

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Staven, whenever works for those interested. I will need a fix soon, so the sooner the better. I don't want to be up all night bobbing for swordies. I hear the bite usually ends by one am. It sure would be nice to leave Venice around 5pm, head out for the swordies, leave the sword spots at about 1am, then head for YFT on the surface, and catch some dorado on the way back to Venice. I am not sure if I can find a captain that will do all this in one 24 hour trip. I am not sure if they will want to run from the swordie grounds in the middle of the night to a floater.

4. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Eddie probably wouldn't mind. Last summer he headed back in when the fishbox was full of YF at 1am, so moving in the dark isn't a big deal. Call him and give him the game plan, I'll bet he'd manage it.

Fred

5. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

$2400 plus fuel per angler ? dat der inflation is a killer :)
    yeah we were on a 1am trip back .. i'm interested but the price maybe a problem.

6. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

$2400 plus fuel per angler ?

where did'ja read that? :confused:

7. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

$2400 plus fuel per angler ? dat der inflation is a killer :)
    yeah we were on a 1am trip back .. i'm interested but the price maybe a problem.

I think I have been unclear about the cost. The boats out of Venice usually charge $100 a hour plus fuel. So, I would think the total cost would be around $2900-3000. So, for 6 fishermen, about $500 each plus tip. For 4 fishermen about $750 each plus tip. I will contact Captain Eddie to see what the real cost would be. I am just trying to make a trip like this work this summer or sooner, and looking for people to join in.

8. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

Cost / Person: ? I suspect $2400 + fuel total cost split per angler for a 24 hour trip
    Number of People: 3-4

j/k .. i know is a typo

9. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Tony: More info. you can be the lead on this one!
    just got a new pc today, and I had shoulder surgery last monday,
    so I might be in for a june/july thing.
    Eddie's day trips are around $2g + fuel/tips, and worth every penny!
    tight lines
    -Brian

10. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Trip details edited today. Cost will be about $600 each for 4 people. I am shooting for only 4 people at this time, so we only need 2 more people. First come first reserved. Trip will be with Captain Eddie out of Venice, LA.

The date is not set yet as the 2nd person in my party may only be able to go the days of June 7-8.

Sorry about the changes, as this is a trip being planned as I write.

Scott

11. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

i'd be interested in such trips in the fall/winter if you're still puttin'em together then.....

got too many tourneys this spring/summer to get away

Capt Mike, (if you're lurking out there) what's best for swords? Late September early fall?.......... or is there a fair bite on into winter?

it's been over 20 years since i've dealt with'em

12. Capt. Mike Ellis

Capt. Mike Ellis Member

I have caught them every month of the year except Dec.-Feb. And that is only because I don't fish them at that time due to weather. But I have friends that have caught them in those months. And to end the rumor the bite is over early. Get ready for a lot of 0 for 0 trips. I have caught a limit which came as a triple as soon as it got dark. And I have fished all night to catch two one at 10:30 and one at 6:30 in the morning. And I have fished all night without a bite. They are fish and if you are really serious about putting one in the boat you have to fish for them. But I generaly do what the clients want to do since they are the ones paying. I have only put one in the boat this year on a half night trip fro them. But I have a load of sword trips on the books. So I will be after them with a vengence this summer.
    Capt. Mike

13. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Have you guys heard of the sword fishing in the keys they are catching them in day time as well and they are doing very well.

14. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

I have caught them every month of the year except Dec.-Feb. And that is only because I don't fish them at that time due to weather. But I have friends that have caught them in those months. And to end the rumor the bite is over early. Get ready for a lot of 0 for 0 trips. I have caught a limit which came as a triple as soon as it got dark. And I have fished all night to catch two one at 10:30 and one at 6:30 in the morning. And I have fished all night without a bite. They are fish and if you are really serious about putting one in the boat you have to fish for them. But I generaly do what the clients want to do since they are the ones paying. I have only put one in the boat this year on a half night trip fro them. But I have a load of sword trips on the books. So I will be after them with a vengence this summer.
    Capt. Mike

i didnt want to say that because some people think i am to pompus. But to follow that the last two trips i have had bites at grey light in the AM.

15. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

i didnt want to say that because some people think i am to pompus. But to follow that the last two trips i have had bites at grey light in the AM.

None the less, I don't plan to bob for swords all night long. I need to get up and stretch my legs by casting to some YFT. That is why this is pegged as a swordfish and YFT trip. Also, if the sword bite has been off and the local YFT bite has been hot, I don't want to stay up all night at the swordfish grounds hoping that the trend over the preceding weeks would change.

16. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

None the less, I don't plan to bob for swords all night long. I need to get up and stretch my legs by casting to some YFT.

Hi Bellyups,

It would be OK with me if we made YFT the top priority, and go for Swords if we limit out on YFT or if the YFT bite is off.

Save a spot for Richard :)

17. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Scott,

I'm in.....let's go fishing !!

18. Capt. Mike Ellis

Capt. Mike Ellis Member

You are right drifting all night waiting for a bite does get old. But I will be doing it tomorrow night. Good luck on your trip.

19. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

Scott,

I'm in.....let's go fishing !!

Groovy!

Far Out!

Right On!

:) :)