Swordfish tips?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Colton Weber, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Colton Weber

Colton Weber Well-Known Member

Last year on the Helen H out in the cape cod canyons I saw at least 3 or 4 swords pulled up. So this year I want to give it a try!

Going to use my spiral wrapped black hole 450g rod, with a penn visx16.

I ordered some of the green lights that turn on when they are in the water.

What LB leader? 300? I assume heavier so that it dose not get cut?
    Also what hooks? I have 10/0 gamakatsu live bait hooks.
    Will be using live squid if I can catch it. If not frozen squid.

How high above my leader do I attach the light? And how do you attach the light for a quick release when you are bringing the fish up?

Any other general tips for swordfish? I tried last year with a glowstick. Schools of tuna were around 150ft. I was down around 400ft and caught a YFT on a big live squid.

2. explorer

explorer Member

PM sent for Helen H info please:)

Colton Weber likes this.

3. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

I assume your fishing at night?

4. Colton Weber

Colton Weber Well-Known Member

Yep!

5. bigtexas

bigtexas Well-Known Member

If i was targeting swordfish on a headboat at night a parabolic jogging setup would not be my first choice.

Admittedly, I’ve never tried, And I am certain it would be a blast if you hooked up.

On a boat of that size with 10-20 lines in the water i would want much heavier gear and a rod capable of controlling the fish a bit more in the later stages of the fight.

brn2surf1000 likes this.
  6. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

Stay
    Stay away from the jogging gear for swords. A minimum of a 50 size reels and sword rods is required. Talk to the Helen H Directly. You’ll most likely fish in teams.

Brian Miles likes this.
  7. Brian Miles

Brian Miles Member

target swords with 80's and bent but rods for leverage. You will want it if you hook a 200 lber let alone a 400.

brn2surf1000 likes this.
  8. mitchman

mitchman Senior Member

I've had buddies out there who have hooked swords on glow color 10in RonZs. If you don't have RonZs already in box in the canyons you're missing out!