360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a call from an old buddy of mine to go try for swords this weekend! Paul-I am taking that monster JPR out to see just how much it can handle!!! I am really hoping to get a sword on spinner, if any can deal with it should be this set up, SR-50 on a custom SSXXXh, will post up pics and report on Monday when I get back! Should be cool, have never caught a sword. Hope to cross one off my "bucket list"!

·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is exactly what I am after! Looks to be a good weekend for it, NO MOON, a huge temperature break that has worked its way to boomvang, and calm seas!!! I hope to have a story to tell by this time monday night!!!

·
1,025 Posts
Good luck Dewayne!!!

·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, we didn't get the monster that I was hoping for, but we had a successful trip none the less! Started the weekend looking for tuna at the floaters, no joy! There were 18 other boats at boomvang on saturday night and it just killed the yellow fin bite! I have never seen that many boats out there at one time, it was like a parking lot! Spent the night having fun with the blackfin on poppers, they stayed with us the whole night! Did some trolling the following morning hoping to get lucky on a big tuna or maybe even a marlin or sail, again no joy to be had! The big yellows were jumping in the morning but did not want to eat anything we put out for them. We then proceeded to move in a bit closer to do some deep drops ahead of a night of swordfishing. Saw my first whale shark on the way in, man those things are GIANTS! This one was longer than our boat and we were in a 31 footer! We arrived at a series of bottom humps in around 850'-1000' and set up the electrics for the meat haul! Caught a ton of yellow edge, golden tiles, barrel fish, hake, and a few that remain UFO's! Around sunset we started riggin up for the sword drift and settling in for the night, pretty cool to learn how this is done! We drifted a combination of rigged squid and some live tinker macs that showed up in the lights. The other billfish that kept showing up in the lights was sails! We saw no less than 5 baby sailfish up in the lights over two nights. These things were no more than 3" long! As soon as I get the pics of these in I will post them up, really cool to see! All in all a great trip with some good friends, can't wait to do it again!

·
1,095 Posts
Nice haul, all in all! And sounds like you guys had a good time doing the nature watch with the baby sails and the whale shark.

·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I need to have a massive fish fry just to clean out my freezer before november! I expect to have a few hundred pounds of tuna then!!! Maybe I will have to save a few sword steaks for that trip... The rest of the crew was Dwayne, an old friend of mine from my high school days and Emil, we fished Emil's boat, a 31 blackfin. Very nice ride!

·
804 Posts
Nice Haul. Seems like the swords have been picking up lately. I kind of hope the smaller boats stay home when we go in Nov.

Looks like fun!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts