swivel vs welded ring on iron

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by etan, Aug 25, 2008.

1. etan

etan Senior Member

What would be the pros and cons of using a swivel instead of ring attached to the split ring? The assist hook would be on the end of the swivel attached to the split ring.

2. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

What would be the pros and cons of using a swivel instead of ring attached to the split ring? The assist hook would be on the end of the swivel attached to the split ring.

Very good question. One that I had myself.
    Here is the solution I found.... the best of both worlds.

Pro-Magnum Ball Bearing Ring Swivel by ProFishCo.com

Attached Files:

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Ty

thats good if you have to crimp. But I havent had to crimp anything under 130lb leader.

The swivel will work but it adds another Item that could potentially cause you problems.

I am a firm beliver in the KISS principle.

d-a

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

it'll work fine in NC if that's where you're planning on using it. i just don't like how clunky the swivel is, but if you don't mind it then it should be OK.

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

The question I have with adding any additional piece of gear to an assembly is this: "What symptom(s) is it designed to alleviate?" Obviously, the purpose of a swivel is to prevent twisting (and all the bad things that can lead to) under strain. So I would only feel the need to use a swivel for attaching a jig if other folks who jig quite a bit told me that they had had significant problems with twisting while fighting fish caught on a jig. If not, then I would have to subscribe to what Doug said--if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Russ

6. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

The question I have with adding any additional piece of gear to an assembly is this: "What symptom(s) is it designed to alleviate?" Obviously, the purpose of a swivel is to prevent twisting (and all the bad things that can lead to) under strain. So I would only feel the need to use a swivel for attaching a jig if other folks who jig quite a bit told me that they had had significant problems with twisting while fighting fish caught on a jig. If not, then I would have to subscribe to what Doug said--if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Russ

Thanks Doug, Russ, and Bret

I can get tackle happy easy and always want to add another gizmo or dodad.
    Since money is tight for my upcoming NC trip this weekend it will be easy for me to resist. No promises for my next trip though. hahahaha

Next time around, I might just get one of the hammered jigs that company sale, it has the ring+grommet attached to a split ring and no swivel.

Ty