swivel vs solid ring

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by etan, May 29, 2008.

1. etan

etan Senior Member

On some east coast posts I have noticed some people use a swivel instead of a split ring on their jigs. What does everyone think of this idea. Would reduce any line twist. Pros and cons?

2. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

We saw a Spro jig at Roy's last weekend. Spro's jigs have split rings on the jig and a swivel attached to the split ring. I like the fact that it may reduce twist in the line but I am afraid that the swivel will find it's way between the split rings when fighting a fish. I lost a yellowfin once because he twisted the treble hook and split ring off of the popper.

It might be a good jig setup if you're not targeting big, strong fish.

3. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I might try a large Spro swivel on the split ring and see how that does.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

we crimped last time in NC jigging AJs with no problems.

5. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I like to tie straight jig to braid when fishing for AJs and i have issues of the thin line getting caught in the split ring. Anyone else have that issue or does everyone use shock leader? I was going to use shock leader for the first time (maybe thats why my rod broke) but my trip got cancelled last week...

6. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I just finished fishing a Bay turney in PT Mansfield last week (Tx largest shallow water benifiet turney for a great cause) were we have been invited to
    fish for the past 12 years. So...This year I rigged my spoons and top waters with a split ring and swivel right off the lure. I experienced line twist. During
    the 2 practice days. I went back to 18" leader then swivel to main line.
    I'll contuine to do the same with my big rigs. Swivels on the hooks attached to large hard baits is of intrest to me still.

K2

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I like to tie straight jig to braid when fishing for AJs and i have issues of the thin line getting caught in the split ring. Anyone else have that issue or does everyone use shock leader? I was going to use shock leader for the first time (maybe thats why my rod broke) but my trip got cancelled last week...

tie to the solid ring, regardless of shock leader or not. but yes, i use some sort of shock leader

8. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

oof i meant jig to braid no leader, but i do tie to solid ring. the line just gets caught up in the split ring i guess when slack..

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

We saw a Spro jig at Roy's last weekend. Spro's jigs have split rings on the jig and a swivel attached to the split ring. .

I bought some of those at Roy's. They caught my eye. Unfortunately, they haven't caught a single fish. I tried them at Hoover in Feb with zero results. I even put one out at Falcon when blackfins were abundant. Nothing. I also tried them the past two weekends inshore fishing. Not a single fish. They look great, but my results have been horrible.

10. etan

etan Senior Member

I just read my post and I worded it wrong. The swivel is used instead of a solid ring. Jig eye, split ring, swivel, assist hook and line attached to top swivel ring. The only problem I see is will the eye of the swivel take the pressure of the assist hook and the line.

11. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Always use shock leader. If you use swivel instead of solid ring, assist is on swivels welded ring. I jig with 10' 100# flouro or 175# varivas mono with mid knot to braid.

If you tie braid to jig you are asking to loose big fish to surge.

I tried spro sushi spoon (beautiful paua shell lure) in Tanzania, nothing would touch it!