360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the consensus?
I like the idea of no line twist, easier jig change and maybe just a bit more protection from toothies with the swivel.
Could the swivel impair the action on some jigs?
Thinking of losing the solid rings and using 130# Spro power swivels for bottom fishing GOM.
Thanks,

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
Most jigs flutter and don't seem to spin too much... But I will still use swivels on my spinner jigging rods occasionally. Usually as an afterthought, if I start to notice any twist in the line.

Not sure how it will make changing jigs easier though... A split ring should attach the jig to the swivel or solid ring. So leader, solid, split, jig - or leader, swivel, split, jig.

I would use a bigger swivel though. From memory, those 130lb spros are pretty tiny for their rating. (Think I have some... will go look later.) 2 reasons... Optimally you want the wire diameter of the swivel ring to be as big as the leader material. And unless All of your jigs have rear hooks, you'll still need a place to attach an assist hook too. A small ring will make that difficult/impossible.

This is just my $.02, so don't take for the gospel... I'm sure others will share really good thoughts too.:)

·
21 Posts
I like using a swivel as it keeps line twist down. It doesn't eliminate it completely, but I do get less twist. I agree that the swivel ring not be too small in diameter as it can work its way in between the split rings, especially with an aggressive, fast pitch retrieve resulting in a lost jig. For me, the idea set up is a round diameter solid ring whose diamter of wire exceed that of the split ring. The split ring has to be high quality and compress back to shape after sliding the solid ring on. Good luck.

·
15 Posts
Hi,

For spinning rods using "Ring Swivel" is a good idea, last year i tried snap swivel but it tangled with the assist hook.

So where can i find Ring Swivel? and i am also looking for "Assist Ropes" if there is some easy store not the Japanese one selling cavilar stuff.

Thanks,
Ali Saeed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts