360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a CM220 hammered diamond jig and was very impressed at the finish, but my jig does not have the 280# ball bearing swivel pictured on the website. Is a swivel necessary? I don't weld...should I attach a swivel with a split ring? Thanks!

·
Site Sponsor
3,887 Posts
Kaley, the reasoning behind the swivel is a tail attached single or treble hook at the bottom of the lure. Many lures (Tady, Salas, etc) don't feature a swivel but I thought it was a neat idea. If you intend to ring the lure with a single hook at the bottom you can either crimp a siwash directly to the smaller round ring OR attach a split ring/swivel - both will produce good results.

The very first production run we did with the swivel but then when people started rigging them with the assist hooks (probably 75%) we dropped the swivel in run #2. The 3rd run due in this early winter, is mixed: some with the swivel, some just rings, and some with Swivel with an 8/0 hooked crimped on.

·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for the technical advice on your product! Following both recommendations, I added an assist hook with no swivel. Once the new run comes out, I wouldn't mind trying a couple with the swivel as well.

·
Site Sponsor
3,887 Posts
Kaley are you going to run the Assist hook at the top or bottom ? I've had success both ways, but if the bottom is sticky I like putting it to the top ring.

No problem at all, I decided to bring them in 1/3, 1/3,1/3 so sure you can mix and match.

·
969 Posts
I personally like a swivel at the top of the jig and will usually attach the assist hook right to the bottom eye of the swivel.

So it goes jig....split ring.....assist hook. After a lot of jigging, i get no line twist.

·
10 Posts
I personally like a swivel at the top of the jig and will usually attach the assist hook right to the bottom eye of the swivel.

So it goes jig....split ring.....assist hook. After a lot of jigging, i get no line twist.

Agree with John. Why would you put a swivel on the bottom?

·
1,541 Posts
You put the swivel on the bttom when you attaching the hook to the bottom. You can tie directly to the top ring then jig then swivel then hook.

·
10 Posts
You put the swivel on the bttom when you attaching the hook to the bottom. You can tie directly to the top ring then jig then swivel then hook.

I understand the configuration. I just don't know why it would not be better on top so as to prevent a lot of line twist with the constant drop and retrieve of the jig going down 200'. What do I know...

·
3,483 Posts
I understand the configuration. I just don't know why it would not be better on top so as to prevent a lot of line twist with the constant drop and retrieve of the jig going down 200'. What do I know...

It's a case of merely keeping the fish pinned on as the swivel reduces the leverage the fish can gain from the hook to lure connection as otherwise it is quite rigid.

·
Site Sponsor
3,887 Posts
Hey Guys this afternoon DHL arrived with a small order of CM220's. I have a couple of hundred with the HD Ball Bearing Swivel and some with HD Swivel and 8/0 hook attached.

·
1,095 Posts
Hey Guys this afternoon DHL arrived with a small order of CM220's. I have a couple of hundred with the HD Ball Bearing Swivel and some with HD Swivel and 8/0 hook attached.

give us a pictuer or 2. thanks!

ps - the raptor hooks, w/400# kevlar, I ordered arrived yesterday.... nice!!!

·
Site Sponsor
3,887 Posts
Here are some pics of the CM220 with the H.D. Ball Bearing swivel attached to the welded ring. This is done at the factory before the ring is welded shut, so the swivel is not coming off, even with linemans pliers it would be tough to remove the swivel.

Once the swivel is attached you have some flexibility in terms of rigging the hooks to the jig

Here is a shot with an OTI 8/0 Assist Hook

In the summer when the Bluefin are "slurping" up the sand eels off the bottom, I like to rig as follows:

That way if they inhale the jig, the hook is deep and the jig is often the chafe protector :)

·
Site Sponsor
3,887 Posts
If you don't want to go the assist hook route, the jigs also work great with Siwash (open eye hooks) and we stock those an OEM for Gamakatsu so the prices are very reasonable to add a very good Japanese hook. Here are pictures of the Gamakatsu (Nickle) and then the Owner (Black)...

Gammy 8/0

Owner

The 8/0 has the quarter inside it and the other is the 6/0

Lastly if you don't want to upgrade or half to worry about hooks, we also offer the CM220 with an 8/0 2X hook which is very good for fish to #80 I would't use it on big bluefin but we tested this hook in Panama on many fish to #50 largest

This is the Hook crimped on at the factory

·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for posting pictures of the jigs with swivels and various hook options. Do the jigs with swivels come in 5 packs? Thanks! Kaley

·
Site Sponsor
3,887 Posts
Yes it does get confusing, but in a nutshell, all the jigs get the oversized rings, this batch I have on hand is 50% rings + HD Swivel, 50% Rings+HD Swivel+ 8/0 Chinese Hook.

So yes if you get a 5 pack (which is 5 single jigs still in packages) they would have swivels or for .50 more you can get the ring/swivel/Chinese 8/0 hook.

For anything over 80lbs or so, I would go with the hookless model and add your own assist hook or crimp on an 8/0 or better siwash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got these bad boys today and I am super stoked. I heard some flack on another thread (for which I will be copying this post to) about the supplier and boy let me tell you. Not only did they arrive at the speed of sound using the cheapest delivery choice available there also happened to be one of the lures in my order that was out of stock. What did they do? Upgraded my out of stock $18.00 lure to a $25.00 lure at no additional cost. Even prior to placing the order I called the company a few days before to get some advice. Who do I talk to? The owner and the advice was priceless. He has know idea this was my order about a week after the call and I still got this awesome service. Can't wait to post the results for my Galveston Tuna Safari January 3, 2020. Don't think twice about buying from this supplier. Excellent customer service.
12-21-2019 1-41-08 PM.jpg

·
5,149 Posts
I called the company a few days before to get some advice. Who do I talk to? The owner
Yeah, that kind of happens with one man operations.
:)

Wow, 2009 thread,
forgot Dan has been slinging jigs and rubber hoochies
for so long, 10+ years,
and still a one man show.

Reactions: tugasangler

·
Vendor
882 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts