swine flu

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by rtran, Apr 27, 2009.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

is really getting bad from what i see on the news. hope they get everyone taken care of.

2. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Have no fear...Obama is on the job. :eek: :rolleyes:

A little plague shouldn't ruin a day of fishing.

3. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I would add to what DanS said: President Obama will not let anything bad happen to this country. Why even now, I suspect he is consulting his trusty teleprompter to decide what to do and what to say about the flu crisis. In keeping with his statement that he would never let a crisis go unexploited, I have no doubt he will use this one to distract attention from the fact that he is spending his country into the poor house and exposing its intelligence secrets to its enemies--but only the secrets that benefit HIM.

What many people do not understand is that this whole swine-flu thing should be blamed on Bush. Everything good that happens during the Obama Administration should go to the credit of the Great One, whereas everything bad was "inherited." And this will be so until the end of his Administration.

Britannia ruled the waves--but the Democrats in this country waive the rules. Tax cheats in charge of IRS, the Attorney General telling us we are "a nation of cowards," the Secretary of State and the President calling us "arrogant" and apologizing to the people who want to kill us, planning universal health-care for all of the illegals in this country, the head of Homeland Security sanctioning the notion that our returning veterans are a threat to our country because the may oppose the President's programs...the list goes on and on.

Russ

4. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Amen, Russ.

To which I would add...the various government censorship efforts of radio, TV, and the Internet currently underway by Obama's appointees. And...what part of this is not fascist-like? :confused:

This is very serious $%#@! :cool:

5. gman

gman Senior Member

Why does everything end up being political platform? Can you keep on target Rich didnt ask for anyones political views whether they be Republican or Democratic ... who cares people are dying!!!

He asked about swine flu

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

why does everything end up being political platform? Can you keep on target Rich didnt ask for anyones political views he asked about swine flu

agreed

7. fish on

fish on Member

I agree totally with you guys there is a time and place for everything.right now i am more concerned about how fast it is being spread and what can be done to curtail this.For the guys that go on fishing trips in different countries, this might have some serious implications.

8. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

What about guys that live in different countries!! I'll be praying it doesn't come here, when somebody brings the chicken pox about 200 people get them. :eek:

9. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Gman: You ask, "Why does everything end up being political platform"?

I'm not sure what "everything" you're referring to. Hopefully, not these forums...where there's seldom any political comments, IMO. But to answer your question...

For a sizable number of Americans (a least the group who are not independently wealthy), politic and fishing are directly connected. How so, you ask?

Going fishing requires discretionary wealth. Political policies drive the value of discretionary wealth via the $USD, the value of workers' savings, and the quality of retirement...for those who've made it that far. Thus, politics indirectly determines the number of fishing trip we can take annually. Only the "uber-rich" can float above it all and not be concerned. They don't flinch when the cost of tackle goes 3X or boat charter fees rise 10-50 percent a year.

The rest of us are mad as h*** due to the purchasing power being sucked out of the currency through political deficit spending and the related monetization (an indirect and otherwise hidden form of taxation). Tens of millions of individuals have had their retirement plans destroyed, and are now on the fast track to poverty and dying the 'slow death', while a financial oligarchy sits on their yachts...fishing! Being unconcerned with politics is a social luxury of children.

Further, politics also has a direct relationship to the numbers of people who die and how they die...or so we were told at the time of Katrina.

I apologize if you feel my comments seemed to lack 'politically-correct' sensitivity. However, something is not right with the "news reporting", IMO. From the numerous sources I look at, there seems to be a fair amount of hype going on, i.e., highly divergent concern.

On average, nearly 40,000 die from flu in the US annually, and the numbers have always been much higher in the third world due to a number of factors. Call me cynical, but I'm highly suspicious that the MSM news cycle is being manipulated for, that's right, political purposes.

10. gman

gman Senior Member

Dan ... dont take it so personal it wasn't a shot at you in particular, it was a simple statement that politics have nothing to do with Rich's simple statement about swine flu. Keeping in mind that many people here are both republican and democratic.

no need to apologize were all on the same page

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

they even gave a special annoucement at my work to be clean as possible as precaution.

ie, wash hands, cover cough, dont touch eyes and mouth with hands

12. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Source = The International Association of Fire Chiefs

Current Status

Go to the World Health Organization Epidemic and Pandemic Alert and Response website for breaking news on developing disease outbreaks.

On its April 27, 2009 conference call, the CDC reported that the A-H1N1 virus is resistant to amantadine (Symmetrel) and flumadine (Rimanadine) but is susceptible to the neurominidase inhibitors (Relenza and Tamiflu). Revised treatment and chemoprophylaxis guidance will be posted later today on the CDC swine flu guidance website.

While alarming, the current swine flu outbreak is an outbreak, and it differs from the concern raised by the ongoing Avian Influenza (H5N1) virus. This is not crisis mode and should be seen as a learning situation for preparation and response. According to the CDC, one distinction between swine and avian influenza is that laboratory testing has found the swine influenza A (H1N1) virus is susceptible to some antiviral drugs. There is no known antiviral for the different, avian influenza strain.

Know Your Definitions

Another distinction is that the current swine flu has the status of an outbreak. It is important to understand the differing terminology of a spreading disease.

* Outbreak: A sudden increase in the number of a certain illness, which reflects the current situation. [Source: NRP Morning Edition 4/27/2009]
    * Epidemic: An outbreak of a contagious disease that spreads rapidly and widely. [Source: NRP Morning Edition 4/27/2009]
    * Pandemic: When a disease is spread across a wide geographic area and is affecting a large portion of the population, typically in the millions. [Source: NRP Morning Edition 4/27/2009]

For more definitions:

* PandemicFlu.gov: Flu terms
    * PandemicFlu.gov glossary
    * World Health Organization (WHO) topics

Disease stages are also described in phases of 1 through 6. Go to the WHO's explanations of each phase and where we currently stand.

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Has anybody noticed that the Presidential Plane flying over Manhattan followed by the fighter jet has gotten lost by the media. The Media also hasn't done a very good job of covering jigging and popping lately.:mad: I don't think we would be in such a mess if everybody discussed fishing in Washington. :)

Attached Files:

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

lol

also, let me put it this way. you begin to see politics in a different light when you know first hand of congressional votes that are/were bought....

while everyone (including me) is very opinionated regarding politics, i like to come ot this site to avoid these kinds of things which is why i agree with glenn in that we should try as best we can to keep non-fishing related issues out. now, tuna limits, fishing permits, etc that can be related to politics is one thing but connecting international policy to braided line is another.

15. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

I'm with Bret. Keep it simple,Fishing!!

16. rtran

rtran Senior Member

this is the lounge part of the forum. anything non fishing realted should be okay here
    people are very sick from this and I was just putting it out to see if any of you guys are worried about this.
    new york is getting more and more of it

17. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Gotcha rtran. You are correct.

18. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Guys, Don't sweat it.... As of 4/29.....

64 laboratory confirmed cases in U.S. --0 deaths
    26 confirmed cases in Mexico -- 7 deaths
    6 confirmed cases in Canada -- 0 deaths
    1 confirmed case in Spain -- 0 deaths

Of the 1300 suspected cases in Mexico, two thirds of them have already been sent home with a clean bill of health.... I would worry more about a lightning strike....

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I little baby (23 months) died in Texas of the swine flu. regardless of how it died, pretty sad.

But yeah, as long as you're relatively sanitary, I think everyone will be OK.

20. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

this is the lounge part of the forum. anything non fishing realted should be okay here
    people are very sick from this and I was just putting it out to see if any of you guys are worried about this.
    new york is getting more and more of it

One conference room here @ at work in Manhattan is being turned into a triage center for the time being, just in case. So its certainly being taken seriously here, Rich.

21. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I little baby (23 months) died in Texas of the swine flu. regardless of how it died, pretty sad.

But yeah, as long as you're relatively sanitary, I think everyone will be OK.

Bret,

I am not trying to down play anyones death. If it is someone who is close to you, no matter how it happened it is always a big deal. I just hate the sensationalism coming from the media apparently attempting to start a panic. I can see no other reason to make a big deal out of it. After all, about 3000 people die from Malaria EVERY DAY! You certainly do not hear that in any News articles.