Swell Rider North Carolina..Sea Bass & AJ Jigging

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Swell Rider, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

Well we broke the inlet at 6am, light winds, cool and partly cloudy skies...As always our main objective was grouper but with the cooler water in place I decided to hammer away at the Sea Bass and a good call it was....It was some of the best Sea Bass fishing I've seen in a long time. Our first and only Sea Bass stop was at 25nm and it was game on.. Most fish were in the 3lb range so we released plenty of smaller keepers just to keep the grade up..It was fast and furious all morning never having to move until a few other boats decided to just keep short drifting us..Not wanting to deal with that I headed off another 10nm to look for some warmer water, temp hit 59-60 and the wreck was lit up like a christmas tree..AJ'S stacked like cord wood, most drops there were 3 on at all times and the grade again was more than expected and I was very pleased with what we found, not bad for staying inside 35 nm..It was a great day for our first trip for our 2009 season...Heres a few pics, the quality is fair at best since my hands were full most of the day but I tried to snap a few...Ken

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk23/SwellRider1/IMG_0001.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk23/SwellRider1/IMG_0003-1.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk23/SwellRider1/IMG_0005-1.jpg

2. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

dam look at those rods bend.... im hoping to get mine bent next week.

gratz on a good trip

3. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Looks like fun!!!

4. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

NC seems to be a bottomfishing gold mine yr. round.. The AJ fishing is world class out of Atlantic Beach, NC there are so many wrecks holding big fish all year and the run to the gulfstream is only 35nm.. It's definiatly worth a trip..Ken

5. rhale

rhale Senior Member

NC seems to be a bottomfishing gold mine yr. round.. The AJ fishing is world class out of Atlantic Beach, NC there are so many wrecks holding big fish all year and the run to the gulfstream is only 35nm.. It's definiatly worth a trip..Ken

If I can even catch AJs 35nm out they would be bait sized... Double that distance and then we might catch some of size.

Very nice catch, congrats.

6. jb2c

jb2c Guest

Hey Ken, what is that carolina blue spinning rod in the pics? That looks heavy duty.

Congrats on a nice trip. Hope I'll be out there when the wind lays out.

JB

7. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

The Blue rod is a custom jigging rod that one of my clients made me works great on the AJ'S had it made for BFT off Jersey..

35 nm is the norm out of Atlantic Beach/Morehead City.. edge of the gulfstream..Plenty of wrecks inshore of the break...

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

9. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

Thanks, it's been a tough winter for weather and cold water kind of shut the grouper fishing down abit but the sea bass fishing is the best I've seen it since moving to NC..and the AJ'S are stacked on the wrecks can't get threw them if you wanted to, not a bad thing!! Nice grade on them as well for this early in the season..Ken