SWELL RIDER..NC REPORT 07/14 GROUPER!!!!

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Swell Rider, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

TODAY I HAD MY REGULAR CAST OF CHARATERS OUT FOR A DAY OF BOTTOM FISHING, KENNEDY AND STEVE THE PIRARTE...LEFT WB AROUND 5:30am FOR THE 35 MILE RUN TO THE GROUNDS, LIGHT WEST WINDS AND PRETTY FLAT ON THE BEACH...GOT TO OUR FIRST SPOT ,WIND MADE THE SWITCH TO ENE SO ALITTLE CREATIVE ANCHORING WAS THE CALL SO WE COULD LAY UP ON THE PIECE JUST RIGHT..I INSIST ON FISHING MINNOWS AND SARDEENS ON THE FIRST FEW DROPS ON EVERY STOP AND IT'S NICE TO HAVE A COUPLE OF GUYS ONBOARD THAT UNDERSTAND WHY, AFTER WHAT SEEMED LIKE 30 SECONDS I SEE KENNEDY'S ROD DOUBLED OVER AND A STRAINED RESPONCE OF THERE HERE...JUST AS HE SAY'S THAT I LOOK IN THE BOW AND THE PIRATE'S ROD IS PIN'D TO THE RAIL, I DIDN'T KNOW WHO TO YELL AT FIRST TO NOT LOSE THE FISH SO I JUST STOOD THERE WITH THE GAFF WAITING..A FEW MOMENTS GO BY AND A NICE GAG AND RED GROUPER HIT THE DECK, THE PIRATES ALL SMILES AND KENNEDY HEADS TO THE COOLER FOR A RED, WHITE AND BLUE...THIS FIRST SPOT YEILDED QUITE A FEW NICE GAGS AND REDS ALONG WITH SOME NICE SEA BASS AND STILL NO BIG BAITS HIT THE WATER...WE PICKED A BUNCH OF NICE GROUPER, SNAPPER AND SEA BASS OFF EACH SPOT WORKING A BIG PIECE ON BOTTOM THAT RUNS EAST AND WEST NEVER HAVING TO MOVE VERY FAR OVER THE COURSE OF THE DAY...SAVING THE BEST FOR LAST WE LAY UP ON A LEDGE THAT WAS JUST ALIVE WITH LIFE, I TOLD STEVEN THIS IS WERE HIS AMERCAN RED WILL BE AND LIKE CLOCK WORK HIS ROD IS BENT TO THE WATER AND MOMENT'S LATER AN AMERICAN RED SNAPPER BREAKS THE SURFACE..AS HE GOES TO LIFT THE FISH THE HOOK PULLS THE BLANK STARE ON HIS FACE WAS GREAT SINCE ALL I COULD DO IS LAUGH!!!THIS SPOT GAVE UP SOME REAL NICE GAGS AND SCAMP GROUPER AS WELL A BUNCH OF BIG B-LINERS..WIND STARTED PICKING UP A BIT AND WITH OUR FISH BOX TOPPED OFF WE HEADED FOR THE HILL..ALWAYS A DAY OF LAUGHS WITH KENNEDY AND STEVE THE PIRATE IS NOT TO FAR BEHIND WITH HIS OWN COMEDY SHOW ON THE WATER..ALL I COULD SAY IS STEVEN IS BECOMING QUITE A GOOD GROUPER FISHERMAN AND AN ASSET TO HAVE ONBOARD MY BOAT...SINCE HE'S YOUNG AND GEAR COST ALOT THESE DAYS KENNEDY AND I DECIDED TO GIVE HIM HIS OWN GROUPERHAWG ROD, IT'S BEEN WELL DESERVED WITH THE AMOUNT OF GROUPER HE HAS CONTRIBUTED TO THIS BOAT.. LOOKING FOWARD TO THE NEXT TRIP ALREADY...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Very nice haul Ken, Ive tried grouper jigging but to be honest it isnt my things. I have trouble going slower lol

All your customers eat well no doubt about it

3. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

GLENN,

JIGGING GROUPER IS A PRETTY SLOW DEAL FOR THE MOST PART, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAY'S...I SAVE THE JIGS FOR TUNA..

4. BIGSWORDY

BIGSWORDY Senior Member

Jiggging with bullet heads is pretty effective for the groupers. They do like a slower yo-yo because you want the jig close to the bottom because most are waiting in their holes. But vertical jigs have proven to be pretty effective as well, Grouper do have something for that stinky bait tho!!!

5. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

It all depends on what you call effective...We had 25 keeper Grouper yesterday Reds, Gags and Scamps...In all the years of doing this for a living I've never seen jigs produce the way bait does.. Jigging is alot of fun for curtain types of fish but it's not my thing for Grouper...

6. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

It all depends on what you call effective...We had 25 keeper Grouper yesterday Reds, Gags and Scamps...In all the years of doing this for a living I've never seen jigs produce the way bait does.. Jigging is alot of fun for curtain types of fish but it's not my thing for Grouper...
    What kind of rig are you using for the grouper? Is it the one in your picture with the glow beads and the squid skirts?

7. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

NO.. I use a 3 way with a 2 to 3' 150# or better leader and a 9/0 hook..

8. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

We've been catching quite a few last few years out of venice. We mostly catch 2-8lb scamps but catch bigger scamps and gags too. The jigs help get though the myriad of other fish around the rigs and small live bait is sometimes not available.

9. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

Learning how to Grouper fish the right way and be effective is something that takes some time...I've been very fortuiate to have learned from one of the best...Capt. Joe Hifko this trip was a commercial trip and I think we had over 35 keep grouper plus all the other stuff all on a day trip...

10. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

Jigging for grouper is extremely productive in venice maybe more so then bait because we are working 300 foot tall veritical structures (rigs). Jigging letsyou work the whole structure better

11. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

Your 100% right on that but the type of fishing were doing it's just the opposite...Fishing the live bottom and ledges in the 100' to 150' of water bait fishing is the way to go...