SWELL RIDER..NC REPORT 07/08

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Swell Rider, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

Fishing on the moon tides is always an adventure...For a Bottom Fisherman it throws us alot of diffrent variables, no current, too much current, wind against tide ect..ect.. Im sure you get the point..Today we left WB around 5:30 beautiful sunrise no wind and flat seas odd for coming off the full moon..First stop was in 17fa around 30 nm from the inlet, after figuring out the anchore heading since there was around 10knts of east wind pushing against the tide the games began...First drop we found a bunch of mixed Sea Bass, and small Scamp Grouper, made alittle ajustment and move to the East part of the ledge we were fishing and began to find a better grade of fish, A few big Sea Bass and Keeper Scamps started to hit the deck, we weeded through at least 40 small scamps to find 6 keepers but if it weights it pays!!!!Made another short move to around 20fa were we found some nice Gags and Reds along with the usual big Pinkies and B-liners. It wasn't before long when the invasion of Mahi began, slingers all around the boat it reminded me of live bait fishing in Mexico, played with these until I saw the one I was looking for cruzing around the anchore line, pitched a cigar minnow and it was on!! Nice fight on light tackle, took awhile but we landed a nice Mahi...Made another move back inshore a couple miles to find a couple more Gags and Scamps and Sea Bass to help fill the box..Another fine day on the big pond...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Ken you are on fire lately, way to put those guys on meat. Nice assortment and variety as well. I still cant believe the sea bass are down there too lol

Tight lines .... Glenn

3. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

Glenn,

There's a ledge I have been fishing it runs over 4.5 miles, it's just loaded!! Fish a piece here and there then leave it alone for awhile...Calling it OLE' FAITHFULL.. How's the BFT been...Later Ken

4. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

What a great mix of fish! Awesome fishery out here in NC.

Ken, you have a great thing going on.

5. Swell Rider

Swell Rider Member

Thanks,

This winter we'll be fishing out of Key West from Nov thru May so I'll be able to concentrate on the bluewater alot more as well as throwing poppers, jigging and live bait fishing, with the Grouper closure from Jan 1 thru April 30 theres not much to do in NC ...ken

6. gman

gman Senior Member

How's the BFT been...Later Ken

Overall the fishing has picked up. Dom has been doing great along with Richie and Chip just went 6 for 7 on bluefins over 63"'s this past weekend

Me no toonah love since first trip, just a bunch of misses and losses. My luck sucks the past 3 trips