sushi quality tuna value?

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by newton, Feb 23, 2009.

1. newton

newton Guest

I don't fish for tuna. never caught one but i am curious about what the market value for fresh tuna are. what about sushi quality tuna?

2. jig

jig Senior Member

Likely depends on where you are and what tuna (YFT, BFT, BET). At the upscale asian market close to me in Houston, sashimi quality YFT was selling for $27/lb. last summer.

3. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

I have friends still in the rest. buss. and sometimes they are willing to buy what I can bring them, and other times they won't bother calling me back...

Without a license it's hard to sell to them

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have friends still in the rest. buss. and sometimes they are willing to buy what I can bring them, and other times they won't bother calling me back...

Without a license it's hard to sell to them
    How hard is it to get a license I wonder?
    I don't really want to sell my tuna as I eat all of it...But, would be different if I ever caught 3 over 100lbs on the same trip...

5. wacker

wacker Senior Member

The vessel must be registered commercial too and then your insurance doubles.

6. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

In North Carolina it is common for fisherman to sell their catch, but maybe the boats are licensed both both commercial and charter?

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Illegal in Texas for non commercial to sell fish period. That post is enough to get you a serious fine.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i wouldnt worry about selling a few steaks to some co workers or whatever. if the govt has nothing better to do than come fine me for that statement, then they need to re-examine their priorities.

9. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I don't think that post is evidence, there is nothing wrong with non-cash barter.

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

If you ever decided to sell tuna dn restaurant bought it and someone got sick they would be in a heap of trouble. They buy from reputable shops...although you cannot stop someone from getting sick. Thing is they can trace back to the rep source and they take full responsibility. Private seller you are F'ed.

I even refuse to sell tuna to coworkers and just give it away. One sashimi dish is enough for me for months. I don't eat sushi much.

If you happen to know a place that sells sushi to restaurant you can try to sell to them for them to sell to others. But they will inspect thouroughly and not give you what you expect as they have to sell in return. I was offered 2-4 dollar a pound depending of quality of tuna un dressed whole. I'm too lazy to deal with it and rather just give it away at dock for 20 dollar so I can drive home free and not smell like fish=)

Since I am asian, I know alot of people who love sashimi though I don't deliver. If you want it, I will be home after fishing with fish whole so you can take if you request otherwise I am not coming back with anything.

11. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

Costco in Plano, TX sells fresh Ahi for $10/lb (from Phillipines
    and Vietnam); they cut steaks from whole loins the same
    day they put out. This tells me you're not going to get
    much per pound if you want to sell your catch.