360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specs look similar to the Calstar 700H except a bit lighter--has anyone built this rod as a spinner and used it for casting?

·
717 Posts
IMO the seeker is a much nicer rod, im about to build one myself. Just to be clear im a big fan of calstar but this seeker is a sweet rod.

·
Wannabe Tuna Fisherman
1,814 Posts
I am awaiting the OTI new carbon, Black Hole CCB special and Seeker Hercules 8' blanks to all be released. Should make for some good comparisons.

·
Registered
735 Posts
As I am typing this I am at my bench wrapping mine. I am doing it spiral wrapped for cod and tuna. Depends on the size fish you are targeting and how much drag you plan on using. It will cast 2 ounces pretty darn well set up spinning. It also has a much crisper feel than the calstar with the tip being more responsive.

If you are considering a 700H I would say this is a nicer blank hands down.

·
1,334 Posts
I did the 60H as a spinner for my Saragosa 18000 for jigging. It casts 2 oz nicely and will launch 3oz over 85yds easily with a 8000 size reel with braid on it. The 7' version would throw even better and could be set up better for casting. Great tip action, nice rod power on it, too. Plus it's lighter than the GF700H IIRC.

·
237 Posts
HI Willy,

i have built one for a customer but it was last month so it has not been used yet. I can tell you it will be great for this application. Hope this helps.

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!

Talked with Billy V. last night and while some have built the rod for this application, it hasn't been "field tested" for that purpose just yet. But I'll be a guinea pig and I'm going to go for it :).

I like the idea of the softer tip and the slower action overall--should make casting all day much easier. I think it's about two ounces lighter than the Calstar too.

Sold! Thanks guys. Gonna pair it with a pimped-out Spheros 18000 (I'm not ho' enough to spring for a Stella :)).

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr. Sean, I take it? I dunno man, whenever I can skip school :).

Okay, so I'm going to go for it. The next question is grip length. I know it's a matter of personal preference, but what do you guys think in terms of foregrip and butt grip lengths?

One thing I definitely want to avoid is too long of a butt--got my ass handed to me a couple of times with the 18 inch butt on a tuna sniper. The gimbal I'm putting on this rod should be about 2 inches, so I was thinking of maybe a 12 inch butt grip. What do you think? And then a ten-inch foregrip?

·
17 Posts
Yep, that's me Willy. If you think you will be comfortable with 12" go for it, 10" fore will be fine. Me personally, I would do 14" rear and 8" fore.

·
53 Posts
big difference in the two blanks it would be hard to do a level comparison as they are built and intended for completely different applications.
the 700h is more of a stand up blank, some people have used them as jigging rods but that was never their design.
as the hercules were originally designed by using a gusa challenger rod as a model it was meant to be a jigging blank and is thinner in diameter. closer to what gusa has always produced.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Willy G,
You missed good cod bites yesterday.
When they make long butt for popping rods, there are reasons for it.
I fought a 170 - 180 lbs bluefin very comforably even I used a popping rod with a normal long butt using Braid harness lugs for spinning reels.
Many serious popping fishermen who fished big bluefin in Cape Cod last year want now to use rods shorter than 8' with enough backbone for them.
It was not the long butt which killed you, but length of 8'6" of the rod you used in my opinion.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Willy G,
You missed good cod bites yesterday.
When they make long butt for popping rods, there are reasons for it.
I fought a 170 - 180 lbs bluefin very comforably even I used a popping rod with a normal long butt using Braid harness lugs for spinning reels.
Many serious popping fishermen who fished big bluefin in Cape Cod last year want now to use rods shorter than 8' with enough backbone for them.
It was not the long butt which killed you, but length of 8'6" of the rod you used in my opinion.

I would have to agree with kilsong on this.

·
652 Posts
I concur with the previous two posts. The longer the rod the more leverage you are giving to the fish, the better for the fish, the worse for you. Also a rod with a softer action that bends further down the blank will help out the angler because the tip will move closer to the fulcrum (where the rod butt meets the gimbal) and diminish the leverage the fish has.

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, all decided--10 inch foregrip, 14 inch rear grip.

Will be paired with a Spheros 18k w 60lb JB hollow.

Can't wait to bend this mother.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Okay, all decided--10 inch foregrip, 14 inch rear grip.

Will be paired with a Spheros 18k w 60lb JB hollow.

Can't wait to bend this mother.

Make sure you make the overall grip long enough for you. When a fish is out and away from the boat you want to be able to hold the rod at enough of an angle so that the rod can bend and tire the fish without bending your arm at the elbow. If you make the grip too short you will either have to grab above the foregrip or bend your arm and pull the rod. This will tire you out much faster.

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sounds good--I was considering bumping up the foregrip to 12 inches and will do that.

Saw your post on NE--will gladly exchange cod advice for tuna advice :).

·
6 Posts
Howzit

I'm thinking of using the GTS 70H Hercules blank for popping for big GT's...how did your rod turn out...does it cast well or is the taper too slow??? Will be casting 4 to 5 oz lures.

Thanks

Brian

Thanks guys!

Talked with Billy V. last night and while some have built the rod for this application, it hasn't been "field tested" for that purpose just yet. But I'll be a guinea pig and I'm going to go for it :).

I like the idea of the softer tip and the slower action overall--should make casting all day much easier. I think it's about two ounces lighter than the Calstar too.

Sold! Thanks guys. Gonna pair it with a pimped-out Spheros 18000 (I'm not ho' enough to spring for a Stella :)).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts