360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to ask, since input from here always in valued...Anyone have tried using Super Mutu Offset hooks for jigs? I see no problem in that.

astro...

·
1,262 Posts
I have used the offsets and thought they got tangled up more often. It might be my jigging style because I tend not to crank as fast as others do. I still have a big of a cod jigging style. Just something to keep in mind.

·
196 Posts
Joe if you're talking about super mutu circle hooks, I don't think that is your best choice. Circle hooks you just start reeling with out jerking the hook to set it. You would just jerk it out of there mouth by jigging I'm afraid. You're better off using live bait hooks.

·
659 Posts
Stay with the stingers...have tried the circles on jigs and just did not work as well. Some have done so with success, just speaking of my personal experience.

·
1,262 Posts
I don't think he meant circles, but I could be wrong. If yo are talking about circles, DONT DO IT...the advice above this and below my first post is right on.

·
1,095 Posts
I think that would qualify as a circle hook.

Yup, I'd agree; and with nothing to scale it against, I'd guess a 5/0.

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, I'd agree; and with nothing to scale it against, I'd guess a 5/0.
wow...very impressed chf...ur exactly correct. The reason I posted this idea cuz I was on the Big E last month and had circle hook being used an assist hook and after just dropping the jig and holding tension on the line as it dropped, once the line went slacked (meaning something picked it up), I just reeled up and up came a bft. I know that ur not suppose to set the hook on circle hooks. As I said, just a thought. Again, many thanks for everyone's input...tight lines.

astro...

·
969 Posts
Dunno how it would work as a assist hook, but Rickly Mola of Fisherman's World in Norwalk, CT was one of the first to use circle hooks on diamond jigs. He claims excellent hook up ratios.

The Super Mutu is a very sharp hook. I would consider it an offset circle hook.

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually heres my homemade assist hook I use. I placed some super glue with heat shrink (not shrinked yet). Hey MM, good to hear from ya and always appreciate ur comments.

astro..

Attachments

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, Astro - what line are you using on your assist hook in your photo?

butch
Its military grade kevlar cord, utilized in parachutes. I kinda have access to it and it works great for assist hooks.

astro..

·
1,095 Posts
Its military grade kevlar cord, utilized in parachutes. I kinda have access to it and it works great for assist hooks.

astro..
uhhhhhhh... what is it rated for, and is there anyplace us mere mortals could get a few feet of it? :D :D

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
uhhhhhhh... what is it rated for, and is there anyplace us mere mortals could get a few feet of it? :D :D
lol..its rated for 240lb..of course u can have sum..pm w/ur info and i'll send ya some...happy to help out!

astro..

·
886 Posts
I've used Super Mutu's (Offset circle hooks) with my diamond jigs for a couple of years. Initially I would switch between J and offset circle hooks and found I get about the same hooks up, but I get more fish in the boat with the Mutu's. I'm not sure how but every hookup is at the lower corner of the mouth which I'm covinced results in more boated fish. Works great for me!

·
1,095 Posts
I've used Super Mutu's (Offset circle hooks) with my diamond jigs for a couple of years. Initially I would switch between J and offset circle hooks and found I get about the same hooks up, but I get more fish in the boat with the Mutu's. I'm not sure how but every hookup is at the lower corner of the mouth which I'm covinced results in more boated fish. Works great for me!

I first tried circle hooks on a pier fishing rig. Had my doubts since I was raised on ripping the jaws out of fish when hooked. But, I gotta say. I've had great success using circle hooks, and they all have hooked in the corner of the mouth which made for very easy release on the under sized fish we would catch. No more little fish swallowing the dern hook and then limping off to die someplace. I'll come back for them later !!!:D

The bigger fish were easily caught as well. Just let them take the bait/hook, give them 2 seconds, and start to reel in the line... done deal! Never lost a fish!

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Marlin, yea being in the cabin mode leaves me time to think of rigs like this 5/0 mutu hook on a diamond jig..with bling...lol

Attachments

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thats the way to go on the home made assist hooks , also the military klevar cord is great for making your wind on leader as its hollow or tubular. I,ve found 200lb & 750lb wish if they had something in the middle like 400lb

Hmm..I may be able to help ya out there Marlin, let me see what I can do.

astro...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts