Super glue or 5 min epoxy for 2pc lure?

Discussion in 'Lure Building' started by flyguy, Oct 24, 2017.

1. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

I'm working on my first 2 piece lure. I'm attempting a sliding internal weight using a ball bearing and magnet. The ball bearing will roll in a groove I've carved into the wood.

I won't be able to use a lot of glue when I put it together or else the glue will spread into the ball bearing groove. That said, it's a fairly big topwater lure targeting blackfin tuna so what ever i use will need to be strong. I've watched lure builders on YouTube use super glue, but want to be sure thats the best option.

2. north coast

north coast Senior Member

I don't think I would use superglue. Superglue is good for many things, it is also NOT good for just as many.
    When I have something I really need to stay put,I use flex coat rod builders epoxy.same stuff I put grips and reel seats on with. It ain't cheap but everything I use the stuff on stays put.
    I think U40 also makes a similar product in a paste. I've had similar results withThis stuff too.

3. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

Thanks. I wasnt sure about super glue (which is the reason for the post) but the guy on YouTube is a well-known builder (I think). Epoxy seems like a better idea to me. I'll rough it up real good and clamp it tight.

4. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

epoxy x2

Just putting the ball & magnet in a carved groove certainly is prone to glue jamming the groove, its also an issue to get the groove smooth for the ball to roll easily......if the lure join leaks at all the ball can rust impeding rolling, thats why its advantageous to install the ball & magnet in a thin hard plastic tube sealed at both ends..........glue salt etc cannot get into the tube . hunt around for some tubing or recycle the outer casing of an old fountain pen or fat biro etc.
    FWIW

flyguy likes this.
  5. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

The ball and magnet are from a toy building set my boys have outgrown. The balls are too big for pen tube or any plastic tubes sold at my local big box hardware store. I'll be sealing the entire lure in envirotex and crossing my fingers water never gets in there...or more likely is it will end up as shark jewelry before it has time to rust.

6. Kipi

Kipi Member

I've been working on exactly this concept as well and I'm with DenisB on this one. Just looking round for the perfect thin walled tubing... Would be a damn shame if the lure performed well for a while then stopped because your weight was stuck down one end. Having said that, if you still go ahead with no tube, then firstly, epoxy would be a way better option, applied to both halves and I'd even consider allowing it to get slightly tacky before joining so as to assure minimal squeeze out (or in this case "squeeze in"). Any surface voids after joining can be filled before sealing and painting.

7. Kipi

Kipi Member

I've been working on exactly this concept as well and I'm with DenisB on this one. Just looking round for the perfect thin walled tubing... Would be a damn shame if the lure performed well for a while then stopped because your weight was stuck down one end. Having said that, if you still go ahead with no tube, then firstly, epoxy would be a way better option, applied to both halves and I'd even consider allowing it to get slightly tacky before joining so as to assure minimal squeeze out (or in this case "squeeze in"). Any surface voids after joining can be filled before sealing and painting.

8. CAPTDAVEMIAMI@YAHOO.COM

CAPTDAVEMIAMI@YAHOO.COM Senior Member

Flyguy, take photos and post when complete and then again with it in a fishes mouth.
    Good luck.

9. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

Ha! Will do.