360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a day! The seas were pretty calm and the weather was outstanding. It was never hot and the breeze felt great.

We started the day at 5:45 a.m. by heading out to MU 111A and on the way out we saw some shrimpers and Mike had a case of Budweiser to trade for shrimp and chum. We ended up with shrimp and a bucket of chum. We then backed off of the shrimp boat and started chumming and fishing. Tom started chumming around the boat and he saw some blackfin beneath the chum. We started chunking and jigging. All that we could manage to catch were Bonitas
so we headed to another boat. They were dumping tons of chum into the water so we started fishing. We had a few hook ups but were only able to bring up Bonita.

We then decided to head on to MU 111A. We started jigging and were getting hooked up very often with many cut offs. I hooked into a strong puller and when we got it to the boat it turned out to be a 38 inch Amberjack. This got us going....we were hoping to pick up another AJ within the mix of kingfish,
(many half kingfish), and barracuda. Mike hooked into a punishing monster that he fought for quite a while. Tom had the gaff ready and we were pretty certain that Mike was going to bring in the second AJ of the day. He got it through probably 80% of the fight before his knot failed....and the monster was gone. Mike was pretty sore...that was one heck of a fish.

Before we left MU 111A....Mike saw something busting the water on the side of the rig and we looked up where he was pointing and we saw a billfish, (I am pretty sure that it was a blue marlin), busting the water again. I saw a part of his bill come out and a long spike from his dorsal area. That prompted us to give up losing jigs to the toothy critters and start trolling around. We trolled some weedlines away from the rig and worked our way around the area for a couple of hours. We had one run that we thought was a wahoo....but....it turned out to be
another Bonita. Trolling was tough because there were weeds all over. We trolled about half way to Falcon's Nest and finally decided to stop trolling and we headed for the rig. I jokingly told the guys....okay it's time for me to catch a big ass grouper....they just smiled and thought....yeah, yeah....(he's full of it).

Falcon's didn't have a boat on it and we started jigging. Being that the water was deep I decided to try a 10.5 ounce Benthos jig. I hooked up pretty quickly and
brought another AJ to the boat. It measured 37 inches in length. We continued jigging and were getting quite a few strikes. I then hooked up a small scamp grouper and put him in the box.

We decided to take a couple of more drops before heading back home so I casted my jig close to the rig and hooked up about 30-50 feet from the bottom and felt a strong pull with heaviness...but not a lot of pounding. I told the guys that I thought it might be a grouper because he was just kind of sitting there and tugging only
on occasion. When I finally got him up to the boat his stomach was bloated out and it was about a 25-30 pound Warsaw grouper.

It was a smooth two hour ride home with a very cool breeze. Nice day.

Attachments

·
1,025 Posts
Richard, I see another victim of your custom wrapped rod!

·
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I caught all of my fish on that rod. Mike started referring to that rod as
"The Broomstick". It is an OTI 5'6" 80lb. rated rod that I built.

That rod can really horse those fish up to the boat!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts