Suggestions on a jigging setup

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by hawgs, Jul 15, 2008.

1. hawgs

hawgs Member

I'm a bit new to jigging and was looking to purchase a good jigging setup soon... but had some questions for the experts out there. :D

The setup I had planned on going with was:
    OTI 5'6" jigging rod
    Accurate 665N 2 speed
    OTI depthfinder 80lb

I contacted Mike with Mike Gulf Coast Tackle since he is a sponsor and local, but he told me the OTI rod is not in stock anywhere and won't be for months. Can anyone suggest something perhaps comparable to the OTI rod or maybe a timeframe on which they might be available? Thoughts on the above setup?

Thanks!

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I'm a bit new to jigging and was looking to purchase a good jigging setup soon... but had some questions for the experts out there. :D

The setup I had planned on going with was:
    OTI 5'6" jigging rod
    Accurate 665N 2 speed
    OTI depthfinder 80lb

I contacted Mike with Mike Gulf Coast Tackle since he is a sponsor and local, but he told me the OTI rod is not in stock anywhere and won't be for months. Can anyone suggest something perhaps comparable to the OTI rod or maybe a timeframe on which they might be available? Thoughts on the above setup?

Thanks!
    the Above setup is very nice
    i can do the custom for you if you choose
    i only have a few OTI rods left in stock..(most spoken for)
    but have blanks here and in transit to here;)
    let me know if i can help

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Hawgs, you can opt to do custom rod like I did since OTI was out. Mine should be done in a few days from paul708 (JPR Rods) and I will post pictures when it is done.

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have that exact setup--it will blow your mind how light and responsive the whole rig is--and I made the mistake of going against advice and buying the wide. I don't have trouble laying line on it--but the narrow is better. With the "little" reel and rod, it will feel like a toy.

Russ

5. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Paul708

What kind of change is a custom like the OTI going to set me back. I might be interested ?

6. hawgs

hawgs Member

Hawgs, you can opt to do custom rod like I did since OTI was out. Mine should be done in a few days from paul708 (JPR Rods) and I will post pictures when it is done.
    Please do post pictures... I'd be interested in seeing them. :)

I have that exact setup--it will blow your mind how light and responsive the whole rig is--and I made the mistake of going against advice and buying the wide. I don't have trouble laying line on it--but the narrow is better. With the "little" reel and rod, it will feel like a toy.

Russ
    Good deal... I'm anxious to fish with this setup when I get it all together.

7. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Paul708

What kind of chamge is a custom like the OTI going to set one back. I might be interested also?
    customs are about 369

8. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Welcome aboard Spineyman.

Looking forward to fishing with you and Jason4606 on August ;)

9. feeder

feeder Senior Member

Heard nothing but good things about the OTI rods but if you're in a pinch you can also consider the following jigging rods:

1) Hopper (Got a 4'9" that's just a ton of fun)
    2) Tuna Max
    3) Sea Magic

10. hawgs

hawgs Member

Heard nothing but good things about the OTI rods but if you're in a pinch you can also consider the following jigging rods:

1) Hopper (Got a 4'9" that's just a ton of fun)
    2) Tuna Max
    3) Sea Magic
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into those.

Anyone have any idea as to when the OTI rods might be available again?

11. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Welcome aboard Spineyman.

Looking forward to fishing with you and Jason4606 on August ;)

I am looking forward to it myself. We went out today and I am wore out. I am having to jig with my 8ft cobia rod and Spheros 12000 and it is heavy and tiresome. I caught a dozen ajs and only one keeper. I lost all the grouper I had on and caught a couple snapper about 8lbs and 4 almaco jacks. I was using regular 5/0 owner stingers and I just couldn't hookup with the bigger fish. I am going to 7/0 monster stingers next time.

12. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

customs are about 369

I would love to have one but that is way out of my budget. Thanks for your help.

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

spineyman - get some Shout 7/0s or some 13/0 sidens and make your own if you're targeting the big AJs. the bigger the better.

14. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

BretABaker: Thanks I would say that the most of our ajs are from 24 inches to about 30 to 40 lbs. They do catch monsters here but you really have to get lucky during the summer to get those hawgs.

15. hawgs

hawgs Member

you really have to get lucky during the summer to get those hawgs.
    I keep trying to tell my wife that, but she insists that I am the lucky one.

16. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I am looking forward to it myself. We went out today and I am wore out. I am having to jig with my 8ft cobia rod and Spheros 12000 and it is heavy and tiresome. I caught a dozen ajs and only one keeper. I lost all the grouper I had on and caught a couple snapper about 8lbs and 4 almaco jacks. I was using regular 5/0 owner stingers and I just couldn't hookup with the bigger fish. I am going to 7/0 monster stingers next time.

I can't imagine how you jig with that long cobia rod, must be really sweating :)
    How deep and current the water for grouper/snapper ?
    What kind a jig do you used ? shimano flat side from Half Hitch ?

17. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

18. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I have a Tuna Max for sale http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f37/fs-tuna-max-big-game-b-52-xxh-ti-conventional-reel-2789/

If you are into building rods, then check out the new GUSA PURJ 603. I am building one of these now and it feels great. Maybe Paul 708 can make one and post pics of a complete rod. Hopefully I will have the rod built in 10 days and can hang a fish off it to show you how it bends.
    i will see what i can do
    i will be calling them today for more stuff:D

i also have a load of 6' OTI blanks coming today... i hope;)

19. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I can't imagine how you jig with that long cobia rod, must be really sweating :)
    How deep and current the water for grouper/snapper ?
    What kind a jig do you used ? shimano flat side from Half Hitch ?

It is real tough jigging with my cobia rod, by the end of the day I can barely lift my arms. I am using the 160gr shimano regular blue and white and green and white. We are fishing in the 160' to 190' range. Current yesterday was smokin.

20. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

then check out the new GUSA PURJ 603 post pics of a complete rod.

I just finished wrapping another one, I'll take some pics and throw them up for you. I'll have 6 more of these blanks in stock next week. Trophy Tackle also has finished rods in stock.