subsurface lures

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by nxtbgctch, Mar 24, 2009.

1. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Looking for some ideas on favorite subsurface hard baits. Targeting schoolie size yellowfin at the TX and LA oil rigs. I dont think many foks have spent much time on the subject but I think it could be fairly productive. Seems the only lures you see people fishing are jigs or poppers. Does anyone have any favorite lures that can be trolled and cast? Rattle traps, small yozuri bonitas, a certain rapala? Colors, fishing depth or style tips?

2. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

I've caught plenty of tuna on magnum rattletraps casted when the tuna are busting but won't hit poppers or casting and skipping jigs across the surface like a skittering ballyhoo

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i use them over poppers in the gulf, they seem to be more consistent IMO. there are a lot of lures available. ive had good success with a tailwalk gunz, shimano ocea pencil, skagit lip slider and some tackle house lures. shibuki, baby runboh, brabus....the list is quite long to choose from.

i would not buy cheap lures for this. you need lures with strong internals and components that wont break on a big fish. you also need strong hooks which a lot of cheap lures dont have so at the least youd want to change the hooks out.

i realize it seems overkill but plenty of inferior hooks have been straightened out and that is not a way youd want to lose a fish.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Looking for some ideas on favorite subsurface hard baits. Targeting schoolie size yellowfin at the TX and LA oil rigs. I dont think many foks have spent much time on the subject but I think it could be fairly productive. Seems the only lures you see people fishing are jigs or poppers. Does anyone have any favorite lures that can be trolled and cast? Rattle traps, small yozuri bonitas, a certain rapala? Colors, fishing depth or style tips?

If you search on there, there has been many conversations regarding sub-surface lures such as the Tackle House Shibuki, Souls Brabus, Smith Baby Runboh, Tailwalk Gunz, etc. Just look around on here using the search function and you will find all your answers.... ;)

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Also, you can find a lot of what we're talking about here:

Angler's Pro Shop

Just get ready to empty out your pocket for these lures... :D

6. gman

gman Senior Member

By far in this order, these would be my choices out of my bag.

1. Smith Baby Runboh
    2. Souls Barbarus or Tackle House Shibuki
    3. Mangrove Studios Volador

7. gman

gman Senior Member

Also, you can find a lot of what we're talking about here:

Angler's Pro Shop

Just get ready to empty out your pocket for these lures... :D

Baby Runboh is worth every stinking penny

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i like the tailwalk a lot (see avatar) :)

9. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

The Shibuki / Brabus is one of my favorite baits period, it can be cast or trolled and it works on pretty much everthing you'd want to catch in the GoM. I've used smaller Bonitas and they catch tuna great but do not cast well, especially compared to the dedicated casting stickbaits mentioned above.

The volador and runboh are good too. Another to consider is the Heru Ulua, the guys on NOMAD cast and troll w/ them for GT, tuna, doggies, marlin and wrasse.

10. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

These are mentioned

Attached Files:

11. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Thanks guys. Ive seen these baits mentioned but didnt know what they were. Does anyone know if you can get the Shibuki, Brabus, or Skagit at FTU in Houston. Ill be down there saturday to spend this months mad money and wouldnt mind picking a couple up.

12. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

13. txcards

txcards Senior Member

Does everyone prefer the shibuki in lipless or with lip? APS only has lipless at the time being

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Does everyone prefer the shibuki in lipless or with lip? APS only has lipless at the time being

lip model has automatic swimming action when retrieved.
    lipless needs jerking or walk the dog motion to intice action. the lure will just swim straight when retrieved with no sudden movements.

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I agree with gman.

The smith runboh is a great looking lure and casts very well. It's my favorite.
    Shibuki is pricey but it is a known tuna killer.

16. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

17. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

By far in this order, these would be my choices out of my bag.

1. Smith Baby Runboh
    2. Souls Barbarus or Tackle House Shibuki
    3. Mangrove Studios Volador
    Gman do you have a suggestion where to look at the Souls Barbarus? I can't seem to find them online anywhere...

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Has anyone tried this Skagit Lip slider?
    Angler's Pro Shop

yeah, its pretty nice. its small too so if tuna are feeding on smaller baits that would be a good one to try. the flitz is even tinier.

19. Castmaster

Castmaster Senior Member

You can also take a look at the Yo-zuri Sashimi Sliders. Sinking versions weigh about 2 1/2oz, heavy enough to cast at a distance. They also change colors depending on the angle you're viewing it. They're equipped with thru-wire connections.

[​IMG]