Studio Ocean Mark Blue Heaven L50 Drag Problem

Discussion in 'Reels' started by clalo20, Jun 1, 2008.

1. clalo20

clalo20 Junior member

I am having some problems when my L50 gets wet. The water goes into the drag and it gets unstable, jumpy and sticks, its made out of cork. It is not being submerged or anything, its just the regular splash from rough seas, unavoidable!!

Does anyone know how to fix this??

2. word-doctor

word-doctor Senior Member

That's a question for alantani, but as one of his acolytes I'll give you a preliminary answer: carbon matrix drags, greased.

I don't know if the bearings are sealed, unsealed, or what material they are on your reel. I just grease... the matrix.

3. clalo20

clalo20 Junior member

Where can I get Carbon Matrix drags cut to the size needed. Or the material, I will cut it.

This is what I though, just change out the drag for a carbon fiber one.

4. BIGFISH4YOU

BIGFISH4YOU Guest

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP ON THE REEL PROBLEM, I WAS THINKING ON GETTING ONE..FOR THE PRICE THEY ARE ASKING ON THEM THEY SHOULD BE PROBLEM FREE.....

5. clalo20

clalo20 Junior member

Don't get me wrong, these reels are extremely comfortable for jigging, more than any other I have used. They are powerfull, fit great on your hand and paired with a short rod I dont believe there is anything more confortable for jigging. The drag problem is a serious problem but it can get fixes switching it out to carbon fiber washers.

Mi setup is a Smith 44Marianna/200 rod with the L50 and PE5(75LBs) Varivas braid. This is also my favorite rig by far!!!

6. BIGFISH4YOU

BIGFISH4YOU Guest

THE ACCURATE 655 H IS A UNSTOPABLE REEL IN MY BOOK....I HAVE EIGHT OF THEM TWO OF THEM I HAVE TRIED TO BREAK ON BIG FISH AND THEY HAVE ALWAYS WORKED.....THANKS BUT NO THANKS,,,,

7. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i love my blue heaven also...i have accurates and they have been great but the blue heaven is so much more comfortable to jig with. i have had no issues with the drags at this time.....rick

8. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

carbon fibers are inexpensive and a good investment in any reel. SMOoOTH DRAG *** Can Stop Anything *** . Dawn will have you measure the current drag washers and match them up, or get darn close.

9. pursuit

pursuit Guest

Hello, I write from Pisa, Italy, I have just purchased from Angler Pro Shop a blue heaven 50 L and I have problems with the drag (jumping) . going to help me?
    someone speaks Italian?
    capt zabombo

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Hello, I write from Pisa, Italy, I have just purchased from Angler Pro Shop a blue heaven 50 L and I have problems with the drag (jumping) . going to help me?
    someone speaks Italian?
    capt zabombo

Look here

Jigging and Popping Forum

d-a

11. pursuit

pursuit Guest

I have not resolved the breakdown yet.do you help me?

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Did you read the post in the link?

Also if you don't keep the cork drag greased well the sea water will cause you the problems.

That's about all I can do

d-a

13. pursuit

pursuit Guest

but the problem is that my reel is new and has not yet gone fishing

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

but the problem is that my reel is new and has not yet gone fishing

I would contact the manufacture and who you bought it from. Cork drags are old school technology and the newer carbon based drags are much much better

d-a

15. pursuit

pursuit Guest

Where can I find the clutch carbon? make and model
    thanks

16. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i will offer you 400 dollars and take this problem off your hands....rick

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Where can I find the clutch carbon? make and model
    thanks

If you read the post in the link you will see that some one already tried the carbon drags and didnt have any better luck than the cork drags.

d-a

18. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

A while ago, I sent my Blue Heaven to Alantani to go through and post one of his excellent break-down reports.

I know he addresses the drags.

He should post it soon or when I receive it, I'll make sure it gets on here.

Rick - you bottom feeder you! ;-)