stuck butt joint

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by txcards, Jun 10, 2009.

1. txcards

txcards Senior Member

I've got a smith 80p/35 which I fished a little last weekend. I sprayed down the guides with corrosion x and wiped it off. I had to travel about 2 days so it sat in my garage. The butt joint is now stuck and I cannot remove the rod from it. I don't have wimpy azz forarms so that isn't the problem. Anyone have an easy solution or trick from this happening in the past to them? I'm all ears:D

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I've got a smith 80p/35 which I fished a little last weekend. I sprayed down the guides with corrosion x and wiped it off. I had to travel about 2 days so it sat in my garage. The butt joint is now stuck and I cannot remove the rod from it. I don't have wimpy azz forarms so that isn't the problem. Anyone have an easy solution or trick from this happening in the past to them? I'm all ears:D

Use ferrule wax on it next time, but twist it and pull will get it apart now

d-a

3. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Sounds like just salt crust in the joint, have you tried washing down in fresh water?

4. txcards

txcards Senior Member

I put ferrule wax on it before this trip and I washed down with fresh water when I got home. I guess I can try a fresh water wash again tomorrow and attempt to pull apart

5. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I know some will scream foul at this, but if getting it wet doesn't work you might also consider a couple of drops of reel oil around the joint, let it sit to penetrate, twist and pull.... I would clean with solvent after....

6. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

i think you should sell the rod to me as a one piece.

Ill gladly purchase it

7. txcards

txcards Senior Member

you are dreaming dude. I boated the yf in my avatar in less than 1 min on this rod. I ain't selling, just lookin for solutions!

8. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Freeze the joint and it should come apart. If it has a lot of ferule wax (go light with it) it may still be tough since the wax will freeze too. But once it starts to move it should be OK.

If you don't have a walk-in freezer... Just fill a sink with ice water. Then get a pitcher and just keep pouring it over the joint for 5-10mins to thoroughly cool the joint. (thinking it may take a while since its under foam)

9. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

use ziplock bags with ice. put them on the joint for an hour. then pour warm/hot water over the joint and pull. it will come apart. my smith did the same thing. ziplock bags get the joint the coldest. works like a champ!!!

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

you can use something that has rubber to grip the top piece. take a flimsy mouse pad and wrap around the upper rod piece close to the joint. have someone else grab the butt section. both pull and twist in opposite directions.

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

If all above fails, and you get really upset, get out a hacksaw.:D

12. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Its the heat and humidity that get to them. I thought I was screwed in panama when i couldnt pull apart a rod. Leave them in an highly airconditioned room for half and hour and try again. Can leaveit even longer if necessary. It should world.

13. txcards

txcards Senior Member

Its the heat and humidity that get to them. I thought I was screwed in panama when i couldnt pull apart a rod. Leave them in an highly airconditioned room for half and hour and try again. Can leaveit even longer if necessary. It should world.

I left it in an air conditioned room overnight and couldn't pull it out this morning. I was using a jar (non-slip) grip on the butt and twisting the other section with my hand. I'll try the cold water/freezing the butt trick later. Thanks for the help everyone, I'll let you know if I get it off tonight

14. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Getting your butt stuck is just a bad situation all the way around....

15. papio

papio Senior Member

txcards, where you located? I'm headed home to the 50th state at the end of the month and I be glad to take the rod with me and hit the reefs for some massive Hawaiian Ulua. For sure they jar it loose for you, hehehe.

16. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

I currently have 4 butt joint OTI & Smith rods and so far not had too much problem taking them apart,
    But have had concerns what to do when that time comes.
    So this thread is helpfull. :)

But I would have to consider the value of risking damage to a perfectly good hacksaw blade just because one of my Smith rods screwed up. :confused:

I've tried the hacksaw deal on some trolling rods with AFTCO butts
    but they broke. A Dremel tool with high speed cutting disk did the job.:D

Either way I guess the shortest distance between two point is a straight line!!

Thus the rod would again be in two peices...... :eek:

again good stuff.

Kev

17. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

I have better luck with graphite than ferule wax. If the rod has no gimbal you can pull off rubber and use a wood dowell to carefully tap it apart.

18. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

The Carpenter rod I sold to kidflex was hopelessly stuck and no matter how hard I twisted and pulled the sucker wouldn't come apart!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I got a big ziplock freezer bag and filed it with ice cubes then put it over the joint for a hour or so. Grabbed the rod wearing thin rubber dishwashing gloves and with some force finally twisted it free and now it has a new owner :( Wish it was still stuck and home with me!

The dishwashing gloves give you a fantastic grip and the ice cubes cool down the joint fast and it is much cheaper that cranking up the air conditioning.

19. txcards

txcards Senior Member

I got it separated!!:D Thanks everyone!

I put a bag of ice on top and below and let it cool about 2 hours, then worked like hell to pull it free. The ferrule wax almost felt more like an adhesive once I felt it, it is the actual smith wax. Don't know if I should use that again or not

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

i just use spit and make sure you undo the pieces after fishing this time =)

21. txcards

txcards Senior Member

i just use spit and make sure you undo the pieces after fishing this time =)

I did undo them and took it home in pieces, the put it together to hose it off and spray corrosion X on it, then couldn't get the dang thing apart!