Straw to cover sharp hooks

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I met a fishermen last week and he showed me how he covers bunch of hooks without much tangles using straws. I thought it is a very good idea and want to share with other fishermen. While in the tackle box or on rails, sharp hooks always give problems especially when you have a bunch of hooks together. This simple method can protect hooks as well as from potential danger and the best thing is it cost nothing. :) You can choose differnt size straw for different size hooks.

[​IMG]

2. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Thanks for the tip Kil.

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Keep a small scissors handy for difficult ones that refuse to pull off. Thanks Kil.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Keep a small scissors handy for difficult ones that refuse to pull off. Thanks Kil.
    Or you can jig with straw attached.
    I've done it so many times by forgetting to get rid of transparent plastic cover on treble hooks. It made me crazy I couldn't hook up any while getting tons of bites. :) To make matters worse, bites were over when I realized I used jigs with covered hooks. :)

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Or you can jig with straw attached.
    I've done it so many times by forgetting to get rid of transparent plastic cover on treble hooks. It made me crazy I couldn't hook up any while getting tons of bites. :) To make matters worse, bites were over when I realized I used jigs with covered hooks. :)

:D I'm NOT the only one!!!!

6. Tunahunter

Tunahunter Guest

Me too. Always while fishing at night though!

7. NEMO

NEMO Member

Jerry the white straws might help us old farts see'em better.

8. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Great/Simple idea. Thanks for the tip!

9. papio

papio Senior Member

Shorten the straw some and it will make decent barbless hooks. Keep constant tight line on fish if u want to see color...focus focus, maintain pressure and then easy release. Get those thicker clear tubing for some serious barbless...pretty effective...

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I used barbless hooks for GT and king salmon.
    Surprisingly you don't lose many fish while fighting as long as you keep pressure.