straw bale hunting blind

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by Bret, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Well, with the wind blowing about 35 on saturday.. Bob and I decided we needed a place where we could get out of the wind and cold to wait out the hogs We grabbed about 85 strawbales out of the pile and assorted pieces of metal, along with some tin off of an old bill board and made us a 1st class 3 man hunting blind.. Its big enough for a cot, table,three chairs and a cooler.. Nothing special, but its pretty well insulated.. and apparantly it works.. as Bob shot a doe out of it yesterday..

Attached Files:

2. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I think that is awesome!!! Deer are don't mind straw at all. Used to seeing it I guess.

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

You might be a redneck if: You build a hunting blind out of hay.:D :D :D :D

Those pictures will probably end up in redneck threads all over the country with captions like "Redneck Guest House".:)

In all fairness, I think its pretty ingenious to build something with what materials are on hand. You guys should enter the show "Survivor".

A buddy on mine shot a small buck with his bow and arrow this weekend. His normal shooting distance is 35 feet. This buck was 100' from his blind and the wind was blowing 30mph. He, out of boredom and being cold took a shot. The arrow went through the lungs. As common with many arrow shots, the buck ran off. He waited the customary twenty minutes before tracking.

He lost the blood trail and went back to camp to get his three bird dogs. Labs aren't known for tracking, but after a two mile trek, they found the buck. It's not any trophy, but here's a pic of it. It field dressed 104#s which isn't all that bad for a hill country deer.

Attached Files:

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Bret,
    I like it as long as your careful about smoking.

5. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Bret,
    I like it as long as your careful about smoking.

Jerry I quit smoking..

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

The straw bales make very good sense then.
    Insulated, bio-degradeable and CHEAP!

7. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I say nice job!

I just hope that it does not turn into a hog wallow!

8. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

It would be too funny if they come up to feed off the straw hut while you are there.

9. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Be careful each time that you get in the blind. Snakes will love to crawl in there to get warm. Carry a rolled up newspaper to swat away any cows that find you.

Pretty nice blind!

10. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I say nice job!

I just hope that it does not turn into a hog wallow!

The only way it will turn into a how wallow is if Bob Brings those fat girls from the titty bar in there....

Luckily we have no cows to worry about.. Bob really wants to mud/stucco it in.. raise the roof another row of bales and make it permanent..

11. Earl

Earl Senior Member

I must stay in the wrong place, there ain't no titty bar in Graham! :)

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Watch out for those snakes. This guy said he got a cat to kill rodents and snakes around the deer camp. I don't think that worked out too well for him or his cat!

So much for that strategy!

Attached Files:

13. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Earl, the titty bar is in Wichita.. it aint too special either. (if you know what I mean) Mr. Bill, thats a cool pic.. from the looks of the wood, it is somewhere south of here. I think that mouser has met his match.

14. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

any chance of letting me borrow that snake for a couple days?.........

Snagged likes this.
  15. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Another doe Bit the dust.... Bob and his co worker slipped out after work.. and hadnt even had time to mix a drink and out comes a fat doe.. Lonnie dropped her like a bad habit.. So within 5mins they had one down.. and saw several small bucks until dark.. They said the other does and yearlings with them.. must not have heard the shot as they never ran off.. The redneck deerblind comes through again...

16. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Bob is going to set up residence in there soon. That photo has to be from Australia. The snake is a carpet python. Maybe its a kangaroo hunting camp!