Storm Technical Shorts

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Uncle Russ, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have been wearing blue jeans on all my offshore trips, changing frequently, but always feeling clammy and wet and smelling like a dead man in a whorehouse. Then a couple of months ago, I read a post--I think it was by Gunsmoke, but he didn't have any smiley faces so I figured he was being serious :) --who advised that when it's hot, you just wear all quick dry stuff and wash yourself off in the shower or with a hose, like you would wash off a dog. I bought a couple of all nylon quick dry t-shirts--UPF 50 (with long sleeves but you can roll them way up), a couple of quick drying caps and two pair of shoes that have absolutely no material that can aborb liquid (my old topsiders smelled like when you open a tomb).

That left only something to cover my nether regions. I don't mind going naked around a bunch of good old boys, because I'm proud of myself and I can live with their envy--on the other hand, I was worried that a woman might get sight of me and collapse as though she had seen the face of God.

I ordinarily don't wear shorts for two reasons--my dermatologist told me not to, and I don't have the legs of an olympic diver. But I also have been fishing routinely without a harness--not having any problem with getting the fish in or my lower back, mind you, but I miss the safety straps that run down to the lugs on the reel--I really like those.

So I gutted it up and ordered two pair of Old Harbor Outfitters Storm Technical Shorts. They arrived yesterday and I think they are the greatest thing since sliced pig's liver. They are kind of long and baggy, the way kids wear them now, and they look a little ridiculous on an old fart like me, but from a functional standpoint they are great. Have not fished with them yet, but I hooked them up with the rod plate and safety straps and you can disengage all of the above in a fraction of the time it would take to get in and out of a harness. They have a kinda-sorta built in back brace with two large D rings attached in front that you hook your gear up to. There are two pliers pockets with associated loops to which you can tie off your lanyard and one pocket for a safety knife. I tested them pulling about 25 pounds of drag, and you can lean back with just about as much confidence as you could all wrapped up in a full harness. You can drop the plate off in an instant and you can disengage the safety straps from the reel even more quickly. I washed them out with water and hung them up on the back porch so simulate conditions outside on the Big E in August, and they were dry in one hour. Only downside is: 80 bucks a pair.

Russ

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i've seen those, looks pretty nice. i've got one pair of shorts (wearing them in my avatar) that i normally wear, but i also wear khaki shorts sometimes....which now are splattered with tuna blood. i think i need a second pair of quick drying ones...hm....

3. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

I bought a long sleeve shirt from OHO to block my body from the sun. On the website it said that the shirt had all the properties I wanted, anti-microbial, moisture management, and stain resistant. I can honestly say that the anti-microbial worked. I didn't smell like a foot after fishing all day. The second night I got sprayed with blood by a fat blackfin doing the traditional tail slap on the deck after getting gaffed. I washed the shirt twice with color-safe bleach when I got home and the stains are still there. Does anyone make a shirt that really has stain-releasing properties.

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Does anyone make a shirt that really has stain-releasing properties.

Yes. See picture below.:D
    I got this in the mail a couple weeks ago.

Attached Files:

5. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

OK, I've got to have one. Get on the horn to GS and find out whether he sent off for it or had it made. Are you lurking out there GS? If it ain't copyrighted, I know who I can get to make one up for me out there in the swamps of darkest Georgia. :) If it is copyrighted, I'll re-word it even better.

Ain't nothing on earth that's stain proof other than maybe polished titanium.

Russ

6. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Yes. See picture below.:D
    I got this in the mail a couple weeks ago.

haha

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

OK, I've got to have one. Get on the horn to GS and find out whether he sent off for it or had it made. Are you lurking out there GS? If it ain't copyrighted, I know who I can get to make one up for me out there in the swamps of darkest Georgia. :) If it is copyrighted, I'll re-word it even better.

Russ

Russ

I didn't think you knew anyone in GA.

d-a

8. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

How many do yall want and in what size?

You need to check the geography of Georgia a little better Russ. Doug knows that I am from the foot hills of the Blue Ridge mountains...

I'll be wearing me one of those shirts tomorrow to my work...
    I'll post the art shortly. It won't be the same...

9. Deep_Sea_Gull

On my printer now....

Attached Files:

10. shanker

shanker Senior Member

Russ

My neighbor went to the Republican Convention in Houston a few weeks ago and got a T-Shirt just like that there...

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

DSG: I'll try on the other ones you made for me again tomorrow and see if I want the same size--I think I will. Then it's just a question of one or two. My wife asked me where I could possibly wear it--and I replied: "To an Obama rally."

Hey, you know what, I just realized that MrBill hijacked my freaking post! I resent that. I would never hijack anyone's post myself!!!!!

Russ

12. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

How many do yall want and in what size?

You need to check the geography of Georgia a little better Russ. Doug knows that I am from the foot hills of the Blue Ridge mountains...

I'll be wearing me one of those shirts tomorrow to my work...
    I'll post the art shortly. It won't be the same...

Tony,
    I'll buy two in XL.

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Only downside is: 80 bucks a pair.

Russ

Russ,
    Go to Acadamey and buy several pair of wading shorts ($9.00 a pair) and you can get Columbian shirts on sale for $20.

14. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Jerry: I will definitely look at them.

Tony: I can only use one, also in XL--do you still have my address? I think I can find the emails with the price, but I'm not sure, so PM me.

In other news, I am hearing that Hillary is going to let her name be placed in nomination. Ain't unity great? :) Also, Dick Morris, who was Billy Bob Clinton's hatchet man until Bill fired him for having an illicit affair (gotta love that one-:D ) and who hates Hillary with a passion, is pointing out that Obama is caught between the rock and a hard place--he needs to nominate a woman to regain all the middle and older aged women voters who are leaving his camp, but it can't be Hillary, because then the Clintons would eat him alive and he would take on every shady aspect of their past, and oh, yes, Bill would be turned loose for the self-centered, red-nosed, Bunfish-chasing loose cannon we all know him to be. But neither can Obama choose some OTHER woman, because Hillary would then let loose the dogs of war in her request for revenge. This is all turning out as I predicted--Hillary is acting like she is supporting Barack, but she and her pontificating epitome of a hypocrite husband are doing everything in their power to sabotage him. Why? Because she would rather run against McCain in 2012 years than go to a primary against whomever Obama picks this year, in 2016.

McCain actually has a chance to win this thing. May not happen--probably won't--but you gotta love it.

Russ

Russ

15. Deep_Sea_Gull

You guys are great! I did not realize that I had not priced the shirts before. Duh!

They are $15.00 each plus shipping. I normally sell my full color shirts for $20.00 each... Call this my political contribution. LOL

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Russ,
    Would want her behind you? :eek:

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Russ,
    Would want her behind you? :eek:

No Jerry, Russ wants to be behind her. Keeps him from blowing chunks that way.

d-a

18. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

No Jerry, Russ wants to be behind her. Keeps him from blowing chunks that way.

d-a
    And when it passes gas????????

Attached Files: