360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We use Storm lures, a heavy softlure, for cod and halibut. Would there be any point of trying out these for tuna? They come in weights from 135 to 385gr.

·
821 Posts
I've caught and seen yellowfin caught here on the Texas coast with these type lures. The Storm Wildeye works but the hook is a little suspect although I haven't had one fail Yet.

·
1,321 Posts
What bait is that? Where do you get them? How much? The hook looks stouter than the Storm Wildeye.

I have used the 6" and 9" storm wildeye with great success in GOM for tuna. No reason the above would not work. Like Nate said, hook looks weak, but same here (knock on wood) I have not had one fail.

BTW, they are one fish lures, so if not cheap, then its not worth it. I get the 6" storms off ebay and at Acadamy when on sale for about $2 a pack (50 cents per lure). The 9" I have gotten for as little as $2 each, same deal, on sale at acadamy or ebay.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are called a Giant Jigging Shad. They have a much stouter hook and heavier head than the Wildeye. But you have to sharpen the hook before use. They are very popular over here. Cost is 8-10 US$ for a pack with a head and two spare bodies, but we have much higher prices on tackle than you.

·
1,553 Posts
they look really good and 135gm would be great for casting. too bad there hard to get in these parts. ive only found them at european online tackle stores. nice selecyion of colors too.

·
1,321 Posts
Damn, they really are nice, aren't they? Looks like Storm makes them. Wonder why they are not available here. And that's kinda high priced for a Storm lure; they are usually at the inexpensive end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts