360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how you store and travel with your jigs. I usually store my jigs with the preferred assist hooks already attached, but they can be a pain getting them out of the bag and untangling them. With as much time I spend untangling them and unhooking them from from the bag, I'm probably better off just rigging them up after I pull them out of the bag and get ready to use them.

Do you usually store them rigged or do you rig them up just before you're ready to put them to use?

Thx

·
Retired Member
5,715 Posts
I store my jigs with only the bottom hooks attached. Then I pack them in a roll up with hooks on the top so I can remove them without getting caught. You can store them either top or bottom rigged it’s an easy attach to main line with the right split ring pliers. I just received the new palmarius jig bag with cards. I haven’t had a chance to load it yet but the quality looks and feels superior. I will put the jigs in the cards the same way, one side ready to go for easy removal and a quick attach to my main line.

Benny

·
Retired Member
5,715 Posts
Just a heads up! The reason I rig the tail end is if I change the jig out all I have to do is remove the old jig and install the new jig to the split ring and bottom hooks are already on. Saves a minute but that minute in the water could be the one!

Benny

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,183 Posts
I store mine without. That’s because I use the Jigstar grommets and the assist cord is attached to the ring on the grommet. If I switch out jigs I just take it off the split ring attached to the grommet as well. Also saves money from having to have to have a hook on each jig.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bzn, that's a good idea, assuming you're using a similar sized jig for the assist hook length and size. I'm going to look into ordering some of those Jigstar grommets. Do you get them from Johnnyjigs.com?

·
Just a guy who likes to fish
3,183 Posts
I get them from whereever I can find them. Back when Randy was the Jigstar rep here in the US I bought a lot of these when he was going out of business.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I use the nomad jigging bag, I don’t leave my jigs rigged in the bag, but the bag has a webbing specifically designed to attach your hooks too when they are in the bag. I had rolls where I kept the hooks on and I didn’t like how they would poke thru the bag love the nomad bag tho a good pair o split ring pliers you can re-rig in 30sec

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use a roll so I don't store them with the hooks on or they get tangled and get stuck in stuff. It's not a big deal though because I also use the jig star grommets, so I just swap jigs quickly on the split ring and can swap hooks between them as well. If I had a pair of hooks for every jig I owned I wouldn't have any money left to go fishing haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ziploc sandwich bags work great. That way I can stuff 30-40 jigs or however many in a Plano 3700 and grab one without spending five minutes trying to untangle it from the others. An added bonus is I know which ones I've used and need to rinse off at the end of the trip.
I actually did this on my last trip and it working pretty good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For those of you using the JigStar grommets, are you using them on lighter line as well? I did a little research and it seems they are most beneficial on heavier 100lb+ line. I've just been using a ball bearing swivel with a split ring when using 40-80lb

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ziploc sandwich bags work great. That way I can stuff 30-40 jigs or however many in a Plano 3700 and grab one without spending five minutes trying to untangle it from the others. An added bonus is I know which ones I've used and need to rinse off at the end of the trip.
I wonder how many people do that, the rinsing off part. I have a soft pencil case that I use to put all my used gear in, so when I get home, I put them all in hot water to soak while I clean up the rest of my gear outside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
get this. for storage and such I recycle my 2.01 oz crystal light drink mix plastic containers for jigs/spoons etc. you can even glue them together inside a milk/storage box with holes in the bottom to just rinse off the salt and let them drain. I also take those moisture-absorbing packets are called desiccants and put them in my tackle box/bags,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts