Storing Jigs on Slow Pitch Rods

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Shallowminded31, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Shallowminded31

Shallowminded31 Active Member

How do you guys store jigs on the very sensitive slow pitch rods without getting the rod beat up. Specifically on the boat when running from spot to spot. There is no hook keeper on my Grappler slow j rod (and dont like using the guide frames), the rods aren't stiff enough to hold them in place under tension alone, and the shimano jig wraps dont really work with slow pitch jigs with hooks on each side of the jig.

I've been hooking to the reel and using a strap to hold the jig to the rod. It's kinda cumbersome and I don't like hooking directly to the reel or letting the jig sit directly on the rod.

So, what do you do?

2. Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller Senior Member

Typically, bottom hooks around the handle knob. Hasn’t been a problem so far.

3. Shallowminded31

I tried that on a rough day and ended up getting some new jewelry in my arm. Maybe I didn't have enough tension in the line/bend in the rod.

4. esgeo

esgeo Active Member

A guy in SoCal makes these but I think you can order from certain shops. Not sure if they would work for your rods, but figured I would share.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Katch_Fishing_Its_a_Katch_Hook_and_Line_Holder/descpage-KFHL.html

5. bigtexas

bigtexas Well-Known Member

0489C91C-7664-450A-863F-B9913DCE3F2D.jpeg F72F7EB7-03AE-43F8-8DE7-9A341B9D2DE4.jpeg never had an issue with using the rod holder between spots. anything longer the jig comes off and tossed in a bucket or bag. good split rings and pliers it should take <10 seconds to put a jig back on.

6. Shallowminded31

Putting it in the rod holder seems like the best option. I usually do that when bottom fishing, not sure why I didn't think of it.

Any long trips I usually pull the jig off.

7. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member Supporting Member

Using the rod holder like bigtexas does or with the Shimano butterfly jig wraps.

Benny

84A0C1F2-7BFC-44CD-BB10-3BBE8E9169AA.jpeg

tugasangler likes this.
  8. Shallowminded31

Yeah, I used the shimano jig wraps with any of my speed jigging setups. those work well but any jigs with rear hooks and they're a pain.

tugasangler and a1flyfishr like this.
  9. a1flyfishr

jigs with double hooks I don’t put jig in sleeve opening I just wrap the jig wrap once around the rod then Velcro around jig.

Benny

tugasangler and Shallowminded31 like this.
  10. bluefish75

bluefish75 Active Member

11. a1flyfishr

Seen these and wanted to make something similar with pvc pipe just never got around to it. Guess this would be the best time to give it a try, being landlocked.

Benny.

12. bassmagnum

bassmagnum Member

Take the hook and hook it onto the base of the reel with the hook between the top of the base and bottom of the spool. It's the safest place you'll find without a wrap of some sort

13. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

I've learned to keep my split ring pliers so if we are picking up and running I'll just pull the jig off my hooks. Otherwise the Shimano cocoons are awesome. Definitely worth the $20 for 5

tugasangler and a1flyfishr like this.
  14. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Grab the line a foot above the jig,
    wrap around the handle of the reel 3 times,
    now no weight/tension on the rod,
    so it won't bounce around.

If on a party boat with pipe style rod holders,
    grab line 3 feet above jig,
    wrap around handle 3 times,
    and let sit in a bait bucket on the floor.

15. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

they make rocket science out of the darnedest things at times on this site lol

HungryJack and Shallowminded31 like this.
  16. Heman

Heman New Member

man.. imma have to start switching my speed clips out and using swivels to control that line twist... genius!

tugasangler likes this.
  17. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

On my rods that have no keeper, I cable tie a solid assist ring to the reel seat and hook goes thru the ring. Just locate it in a place where your jig won't damage the EVA or your reel.

Shallowminded31 likes this.
  18. p26pursuit

p26pursuit New Member

Zip tie one of these to the rod near the reel, has hook keeper ring. CABLE TIES.PNG

19. Kipi

Kipi Well-Known Member

Whilst a nice idea and quite handy, that keeper will stick out on the rod might bother you. Nice thing about the solid ring is that it folds flat and is almost unnoticeable in your grip.

20. benwah22

benwah22 Well-Known Member

If you must drive with the jig still attached to the rod, I like how big texas said above - in the rod holder. I only generally do this for a short move though, and not over high speed. If that jig whips out of the holder, look out.

I generally take my jig off every time we're moving, and take my top assist hooks and put affix them to one of the arms (LIGHTLY) of the lowest guide. Never through the ceramic part of the guide. It eliminates the banging of the jig on the blank, and keeps the hooks safely stowed so everyone keeps their eyes intact.