360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's my boat name if your wondering. Made a long run with the intention of trolling at first light and then throwing poppers and stickbaits and maybe a jig or two at some blackfin and wahoo. This is not common practice here and 2 weeks ago I got the first(that I have heard in the area) bft on a dorado slider while sight casting to breaking fish off SC. So my trip on Thursday was with a more experienced crew in the jig and pop world. We finished the troll around 9AM with one bft in the box, one spit hook at the boat and a screamer of a wahoo that parted the 50# flouro. We began the casting with a double of nice blackfin.

Dorado sliders and OTI poppers were tossed when fish boiled close enough to cast to. We would idle around with the poppers trailing 100' behind the boat, stroking them every so often. A wahoo crushed one of the trailing poppers and blew it 5' out of the water then returned/inhaled/hauled arse and took the popper with him in an awesome display that left our jaws on the floor. We continued the same tactics for the morning and proceeded to boat 10 tuna and some nice AJ's(all you wanted) and a quadrouple header of big boneheads. It took some time but I eventually figured out the difference on the sounder between the AJ"S, tuna and bonita. I got lucky on a glow jig while trying to catch an AJ and got my first and the first I've heard around here, bft on a jig:

Here is one of the average AJ's

I got another tuna on the jig later when I saw the right marks under the boat. The crew was very busy and we took about 30 shots, came tight on about 20 and gave a free ride home to 10.

We picked up around 1pm and ran in to 90' for some sea bass and triggers for the fryer and couldn't get away from the "endangered red snapper".

4 of them in one pass, all thrown back due to the closure. A cute gag as well, back in the drink.

These are long runs for us here, about 100 miles one way. We were stoked to say the least. I know it is common elsewhere and someone has probably done it here before me, but as far as I know, in the last 2 weeks we got the first bft in SC on popper, jig and stickbait. Pretty cool if you ask me. It couldn't/wouldn't have been possible without alot of help from the folks on this site. THANK YOU!

Tackle:
Stella 20k on OTI tuna sniper
B-197 on JM250
Saragossa 6000 on an old 8' St.Croix surf/popping rod
SR-20 on OTI 400g spin
Torsa 40 on 600 conv.
quite a few of PAMET's leaders
OTI poppers
dorado sliders
cheapo benthos 130g glow jig got both jigged fish

·
3,165 Posts
WOW!!...thanks for giving us "cabin fever" folks sumthing to look forward to...awesome trip and pics...

astro..

·
513 Posts
cheapo benthos 130g glow jig got both jigged fish

i'm so happy i got all those Hookers and Labos for tuna...:confused: :mad:

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw this over on your hometown site. Your getting all the love over there :D

Pretty work on your trip. At least on this report there were pics for doubters:p

Plenty of haters and doubters over there, for sure!

·
659 Posts
Nice Work! I am needing to go bend a rod in the worst way... is almost bad enough for me to go to the lake and catch a ???????

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice report!
I thought Reggie only fished Panama!

Thinking about heading your way for some bluefin or some yft later on. Other than the temperature it was just like Panama on a smaller scale. Gotta get your fix when you can.

·
777 Posts
good trip and post! gotta love those cheap williamson jigs! where abouts in S.C. are you? looking to move south next year, looks like Beaufort, NC or Charleston

·
2,924 Posts
congrats on a great trip you deserve it and pay no mind to any haters bro. you guys deserve the accolades

·
Site Sponsor
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good trip and post! gotta love those cheap williamson jigs! where abouts in S.C. are you? looking to move south next year, looks like Beaufort, NC or Charleston

I'm way south in Hilton Head. You'll find plenty of life and fishing action in Charleston for sure. Beaufort in NC is nice too, but having the small city of C-Town is nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts