STONER-bottom bumping

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Courtland, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

New to the site. My name is Courtland and my boat name is STONER, I fish out of Hilton Head,SC. I've enjoyed this board for a few weeks(lurking) and figured I would jump in with a report. I do a little trolling but have learned to love bottom fishing here in the Low Country. I am originally from NJ, so alot of the places and fish you discuss are in my old backyard.

As I have really just started this type of fishing w/in the last 3 years, my tackle has been narrowed down. I have moved through Toriums, Avet,a Torque 200 and recently got my hands on a few Accurates. My under 100' setup is a JM Powerspell 300g(from Kil) paired with a little Accurate 197 with the 4:1. My deeper setup is OTI 400g paired with a BX2-600.

On this last trip I fished with the JM only. We made our way to some live bottom in 90'. We fished primarily live bait and some cut bait. Jigged the b-liners and triggers pretty good. Got a few gags on live bait and had a nice run of kings on the drift baits out back. Brought boatside a #150 tiger 2X(he liked our baits) with the JM/197 combo. A few pics.

Sunrise

[​IMG]

Nice smoker

[​IMG]

The view from above

[​IMG]

For the fryer

[​IMG]

2. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

What jigs were you using to catch the triggers? Looks like you had a good trip! Triggers are delicious

3. gman

gman Senior Member

Hi courtland. welcome to the site ... What part of Jersey are you from? Nice trip report Im sure those triggers tasted good and thats a nice king you have there.

4. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

What jigs were you using to catch the triggers? Looks like you had a good trip! Triggers are delicious
    I use heavy duty saltwater flies tied on a chicken rig, with basic lead on the bottom, no need to re-bait. Red and white were good this day.

5. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

Hi courtland. welcome to the site ... What part of Jersey are you from? Nice trip report Im sure those triggers tasted good and thats a nice king you have there.
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I was born in Red Bank, grew up in Fair Haven. Lived there till I was 30, been down here for 7 years. I miss the tuna for sure.

6. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

Hey Courtland ! welcome to the site , still waiting for you to come down this way with Reggie ,John

7. gman

gman Senior Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was born in Red Bank, grew up in Fair Haven. Lived there till I was 30, been down here for 7 years. I miss the tuna for sure.

Red Bank is quite the hot spot now, its the place to live down there now. Tuna fishing has been spotty this season only a couple of really solid weeks unlike the Cape Cod bite

8. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

You may see me sooner than later, looking forward to it!

9. Courtland

Courtland Site Sponsor

Hey Courtland ! welcome to the site , still waiting for you to come down this way with Reggie ,John

Hopefully you'll see me sooner than later!