Stoned Mango :)

Discussion in 'Spearfishing' started by Get'n Jiggy, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Get'n Jiggy

Get'n Jiggy Ultimate Warrior

Had a nice window to get in some diving so we went for it... Seas were sloppy, 12-15mph on the way out the first 35 miles then swell for the rest of the ride so the capt kicked it up to 26-28mph. Our first rig had several boats on it, one other dive boat and the Blue Fin charter. I was the first in the water, viz was great 80+ and had some current but no biggie. Had cobia and AJ's in my mind so took float gear just in case. Big T got in the water with his scubie gear, made a flip and straight to the bottom. He had several AJ's to choose from he shot the biggest of the group and the fight was on. All I saw was bubbles as he fought this thing... I guessed it at 50#... :) Ian got a nice AJ too bout 35lbs on that same rig and that was it for the AJ's... they hit the blasters and took off.

Next stop had several AJ's deep and loaded with nice mangos, with no cobia in sight after a while I decided to start in on the mango's. Had several groups around me, small to med size but every once in a while I noticed several big mangos deeper. Knowing these fish are smart I made a plan to dive down on the other side of the rig and swim horizontal under second rig support then sneak up from under the support and shoot. Yeah.. sounds good but I tried it once and got half way to them before I needed air. So I took a chance on the surface and closed the distance without them seeing me so I could make a sneak attack. I was able to shoot several nice mangos throughout the day, had one monster pull off my shaft (was my personal best) and while making the transfer to the boat one kicked and I lost grip and it swam off :wacko:. My goal was to stone every fish but only had 1 stone the rest were battles at depth and snaps can pull. :p

Was great to get out again after so long and man I'm out of shape BAD!!

Nothing like getting your butt kicked by mango's... I'm headed to the gym :lol:

Attached Files:

oqhtioen08 likes this.
  2. Get'n Jiggy

:)

Attached Files:

3. Get'n Jiggy

Big T with his AJ on scuba at 90'.

Attached Files:

4. KMitchell

KMitchell Senior Member

That one fish seems to have so many names. Here's one "beaner" - ever heard that one.

5. Get'n Jiggy

Nope never. But you can add tasty and delicious to that list of names :D

6. carlosburitica

carlosburitica Senior Member

nice. I regret selling all my good guns. have just a few jbls aluminum. nothing great

maybe time to build another one.

mangos are great fish. specially a 2 pounder deep fried

7. Get'n Jiggy

I have a new Wong custom 63 super magnum hybrid rear handle with his unique camu paint scheme.

New it was 1500+.

I'll take 1000 or with 2 shafts and slip tip 1250.

8. Get'n Jiggy

Here is a pix for ya. It's beautiful :)

Attached Files:

9. Get'n Jiggy

Spraying off my gear again before putting it away and noticed my reel, the line was uneven so I went to pull some off and....

No wonder that monster mongo kicked my ass pulled me down and said see ya fool :D

Attached Files:

10. carlosburitica

carlosburitica Senior Member

still have a riffe shaft and trigger hardware some where on the house,
    now they you mention some was selling a laminated bank on the spearfishing forum and was local.... combination of green, brown, teal and red wood.... or something like that......

shit. don't tell me i am going to start into spearing again now that will be living on the dessert............. no....

11. jiggly

jiggly Well-Known Member

Awesome, some nice fish there.